Academics have been examining Barbie® for more than a decade now.
One of the first to do so was senior professor Albert Magro of Fairmont State University, who, in 1997 presented his paper ‘Why Barbie is perceived as beautiful.’ (Perceptual and Motor Skills, 85, 363-374) His experimental examination of evaluations involving 495 individuals came to the conclusion that Barbie® had the following attributes -
A dome shaped cranium, high forehead, large eyes, an oval shaped face, straight closely spaced teeth, an orthognathic chin, a long neck, a wide upper thorax, square shoulders, a v-shaped short torso, short palms, straight fingers, long legs and plantar foot flexion.
Leading to the observation that : “The Barbie doll is illustrative of how human beauty has evolved and indicates elements of human form that appear beautiful.”
Since then, Barbie® has featured in several other scholarly studies … one of the latest in the form of a thesis from Alessandra Gaudio at Fordham University. Beauty and the Barbie Doll: When Life Imitates Plastic (2011) (American Studies Senior Theses. Paper 5.)
The conclusion of which hints at the as-yet-not-fully-resolved nature of Barbie-based studies, and perhaps, by implication, at opportunities for further academic explorations.
“Modern women find themselves needing to fit into a myriad of different molds, just as Barbie has over the years, resulting in a need to negotiate the superficial and substantive aspects of their character in order to successfully adapt to each new niche. Unfortunately my project cannot come to any definite conclusions about a resolution to this ongoing battle that women have been fighting with the Barbie.”
BONUS: ‘Designer Barbies’ (retail outlet cited in the thesis).
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Mystery Virus That Turned Starfish Into Goo Identified
- Bee Deaths Mystery Solved? Neonicotinoids (Neonics) May Actually Help Bee Health
- Interstellar Is A Dangerous Fantasy Of US Colonialism
- Lightning Strikes In England: The Sun Did It
- Extraordinary Claims: Review My Paper For $10
- The Internet Of Things And Security: Will A Hacker Stop Your Heart Or Car?
- Xi_b: LHC Discovers Two New Particles In The Baryon Family!
- "The nanoprobes required to assimilate a human into the HollywOrg were only developed on a very..."
- "About the most ridiculous movie review I've ever read! What, no other nits to pick?..."
- "No no Jheri curl. Maybe the future could be as racially diverse and feminist empowered as..."
- "Yes I am aware and chose to address the Conversation as a single publishing entity or author of..."
- "Walking Dead uses that trope to hilarious effect - they introduce a new black character and then..."
- Imagination, reality flow in opposite directions in the brain
- Halting the hijacker: Cellular targets to thwart influenza virus infection
- UO-industry collaboration points to improved nanomaterials
- Longer work hours for moms mean less sleep, higher BMIs for preschoolers
- An Ebola virus protein can cause massive inflammation and leaky blood vessels