Academics have been examining Barbie® for more than a decade now.
One of the first to do so was senior professor Albert Magro of Fairmont State University, who, in 1997 presented his paper ‘Why Barbie is perceived as beautiful.’ (Perceptual and Motor Skills, 85, 363-374) His experimental examination of evaluations involving 495 individuals came to the conclusion that Barbie® had the following attributes -
A dome shaped cranium, high forehead, large eyes, an oval shaped face, straight closely spaced teeth, an orthognathic chin, a long neck, a wide upper thorax, square shoulders, a v-shaped short torso, short palms, straight fingers, long legs and plantar foot flexion.
Leading to the observation that : “The Barbie doll is illustrative of how human beauty has evolved and indicates elements of human form that appear beautiful.”
Since then, Barbie® has featured in several other scholarly studies … one of the latest in the form of a thesis from Alessandra Gaudio at Fordham University. Beauty and the Barbie Doll: When Life Imitates Plastic (2011) (American Studies Senior Theses. Paper 5.)
The conclusion of which hints at the as-yet-not-fully-resolved nature of Barbie-based studies, and perhaps, by implication, at opportunities for further academic explorations.
“Modern women find themselves needing to fit into a myriad of different molds, just as Barbie has over the years, resulting in a need to negotiate the superficial and substantive aspects of their character in order to successfully adapt to each new niche. Unfortunately my project cannot come to any definite conclusions about a resolution to this ongoing battle that women have been fighting with the Barbie.”
BONUS: ‘Designer Barbies’ (retail outlet cited in the thesis).
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- "It is unlikely anyone did anything to you. And most of the slaves - before importation was outlawed..."
- "Yes, the war on guns will be about as successful as the war on drugs. Just say No! 3D-printed guns..."
- "Yes, we people of color need mental health care; we hallucinated white-perpetrated slavery, segregation..."
- "I am betting you need mental health care. You are trying to contend that the color of skin - but..."
- "Indeed, the name of the article is This Is the Lamest Defense of GMO Foods Ever and he false equivalences..."
- Why Is Mother Jones So Afraid Of Science? And Journalism?
- Weight-Loss Surgery Improves Health of Some Diabetics
- Ben Carson Bungles Again, Treating Cancer with Supplements
- No Vax, No School: US Supreme Court Backs NY State
- Remaking the Peanut to Make Schools Safer
- Ancient Chinese Medicine Not Magical, Nobel Prize or Not
- In Athlete's, Triumphant Victory Gestures Are A Biological Need
- Who Is Stalking You On Facebook? Who Is Your Biggest Fan?
- Who is Stalking you on Facebook? Who is your biggest Fan? (Updated Methods).
- Wet Paleoclimate Of Mars Revealed By Ancient Lakes At Gale Crater
- Nobel Prize Validates Chinese Medicine? Nope.