We were tobogganing early this morning when this picture was taken--in fact it was so early we had the entire hill to ourselves. Because of the perfect cloud cover, not thick enough to obscure the sun but enough to take away its rays, the sun looked like the moon. After struggling to photograph it, the pale disk reminded me that because the moon and the sun are almost of the same apparent diameter in the earth sky, it implies that the sun's real diameter is equal to that of the moon multiplied by the ratio of the earth-sun diatance to that of the earth and the moon. I had the same unoriginal but very exciting thought last spring, and I did the math while sitting in church. I reasoned that if there is a God, I'm sure it likes astronomy, so it would not mind the transgression. Link here for a copy of what I wrote back then.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Sorry Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Corn Oil Is Better For Lowering Cholesterol
- The Quote Of The Week - Higgs On Anderson's Role In The Higgs Mechanism
- Sex Shop Science? Skin Communicates With, And Affects, Metabolism In The Liver
- How Water Dissolves Stone, Molecule By Molecule
- Mobile Phone Camera Can Be A Mini-Microscope For Low-Cost Diagnostics
- Paranthropus Boisei: A Ruggedly Built, Tree-Climbing Human Ancestor
- Science Play And Research Kit: Lego Robotic Claw
- "All the same, results like this are cause for concern:We can begin with some recent work: in 2010..."
- "Corn oil INCREASES the risk of heart attacks. Corn and safflower oil...are not associated with..."
- "Tommaso, Your first paragraph makes the point I was trying to make. As far as I know (but correct..."
- "An event that occurred 2,500 years ago in a constellation 24,000 to 30,000 years away will not..."
- "You'll get no argument from me over the worse-than-uselessness of government hand-holding/teat..."
- Entropy and sodium intakes, the wicked problems of health sciences
- The Physical Origin of Evolution.
- Australian Researchers Discover Potential Blue Green Algae Cause & Treatment of Motor Neuron Disease (MND) & (ALS)
- 40 really awful writing prompts that no writer should use
- Learning Should Not Be Easy
- Advances in stem cell transplantation strategies show promise to improve availability, success
- T cell immunotherapy: Promising results in children and adults with leukemia
- High-tech gene-therapy advances offer hope for patients with hard-to-treat blood disorders
- International gene therapy trial for 'bubble boy' disease shows promising early results
- Penn Medicine team reports on study of first 59 leukemia patients who received cell therapy