Yesterday we were near Naples, Florida on a rather cool day. We had just had lunch on the beach. My daughter got up, somewhat frustrated by the fact that she could not tan and lie motionless without shivering. My polar bear son had just come back to his towel from his third dip in the gulf, when I noticed that my shadow was longer than I had expected. Using my sandals as a unit of measure, I recorded the length of my shadow. When we got back to our rented home, using the 18” tiles in the living room, I converted the seven-lengthwise and one sideways- sandal lengths into a shadow length of 7.75’. I told my daughter you could still tan: tan-1(6.17/7.75) = 38.5 o. This was the angle made between the sun and the horizon on Dec 28th in Naples, Florida. That means that it forms about a 90 - 38.5 = 51.5 o angle with the zenith. At 12:00 PM on Dec 21, the sun was at the zenith at a latitude of 23.5osouth. On average there is an apparent movement of 23.5 o per 365.25 days/4 =0.257 o/day because in one season the sun will be overhead at the equator and not at the Tropic of Capricorn. Between Dec 21 and the 28th this spells out a total movement of 7 days*0.257 o/day = 1.8 o. 51.5 – 23.5 – 1.8 = 26.2 o N is the predicted latitude for Naples according to these measurements. Actual latitude of Naples : 26.141 oN. Today was a much warmer day and our family and I had a lot more fun. But if it had not been so cool yesterday, I would not have turned the length of a shadow into such a neat calculation of Naples’ latitude.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- A better than 50/50 chance Kepler-186f has technological life.
- A Crack In The Cosmic Egg - What Does The Cosmic Inflation Discovery Really Mean?
- Neuroscientists Discover Brain Circuits Involved In Emotion
- There Are Two Reasons You Got Unfriended On Facebook
- Immortal Unbounded Universe
- Why Elon Musk's Colony on Mars in 2020s is Unfeasible - What Could We Do - Really?
- The Supreme Court Undermines Racial Preferences For College Admissions
- "The observable universe will dilute (but never empty out), with an entropy that will increase indefinitel..."
- "If we assume an infinite space then the gas from an explosion could expand indefinitely and so..."
- "Spritz made a big disruption in the market of speed reading. Even I made a bet and developed my..."
- "So, why cant i find other interpretations like yours? Im really excited about that possibility..."
- "Worldview distortion by Disney is nothing new. Nevertheless, these most excellent ladies..."
- A key to enjoying massive online photo files may be giving up some control
- More Americans in their golden years are going hungry
- The surface area of the digestive tract 'only' as large as a studio apartment
- Change 'authoritarian' football culture to produce future stars, says research
- Screening instrument to identify testosterone deficiency