Yesterday we were near Naples, Florida on a rather cool day. We had just had lunch on the beach. My daughter got up, somewhat frustrated by the fact that she could not tan and lie motionless without shivering. My polar bear son had just come back to his towel from his third dip in the gulf, when I noticed that my shadow was longer than I had expected. Using my sandals as a unit of measure, I recorded the length of my shadow. When we got back to our rented home, using the 18” tiles in the living room, I converted the seven-lengthwise and one sideways- sandal lengths into a shadow length of 7.75’. I told my daughter you could still tan: tan-1(6.17/7.75) = 38.5 o. This was the angle made between the sun and the horizon on Dec 28th in Naples, Florida. That means that it forms about a 90 - 38.5 = 51.5 o angle with the zenith. At 12:00 PM on Dec 21, the sun was at the zenith at a latitude of 23.5osouth. On average there is an apparent movement of 23.5 o per 365.25 days/4 =0.257 o/day because in one season the sun will be overhead at the equator and not at the Tropic of Capricorn. Between Dec 21 and the 28th this spells out a total movement of 7 days*0.257 o/day = 1.8 o. 51.5 – 23.5 – 1.8 = 26.2 o N is the predicted latitude for Naples according to these measurements. Actual latitude of Naples : 26.141 oN. Today was a much warmer day and our family and I had a lot more fun. But if it had not been so cool yesterday, I would not have turned the length of a shadow into such a neat calculation of Naples’ latitude.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Scientists discover that atheists might not exist, and that’s not a joke
- Not 80: Just 8.2 Percent Of Our DNA Is 'Functional', Says Study
- Matrix Metalloproteinase 9 Enzyme Linked To Autistic Behavior
- Newly Found Gut Virus CrAssphage In Half The World's Population
- BICEP2 Data, CMB B-modes, Inflation, Alternative Cosmologies... (II)
- How To Create More Physics Teachers
- Bird Intelligence May Be More Fact Than Fiction
- "This curve drawn is misleading, and hopefully will not influence anyone in design of aircraft...."
- "Craig, thanks for your comment. I agree with the points you make. Indeed, I would say that your..."
- "Essentially, I agree with what you say, Mr B., You write that “our brains look for patterns and..."
- "Well SFTL, again your just flapping your gums...I suggest you take your trolling philosophical..."
- "In the world of logic and rational thought it must come from an objective third party. Otherwise..."
- Informed consent: False positives not a worry in lung cancer study
- Exposure to dim light at night may make breast cancers resistant to tamoxifen
- Total darkness at night is key to success of breast cancer therapy -- Tulane study
- Smartphone experiment tracks whether our life story is written in our gut bacteria
- Monitoring the rise and fall of the microbiome
Books By Writers Here