Yesterday we were near Naples, Florida on a rather cool day. We had just had lunch on the beach. My daughter got up, somewhat frustrated by the fact that she could not tan and lie motionless without shivering. My polar bear son had just come back to his towel from his third dip in the gulf, when I noticed that my shadow was longer than I had expected. Using my sandals as a unit of measure, I recorded the length of my shadow. When we got back to our rented home, using the 18” tiles in the living room, I converted the seven-lengthwise and one sideways- sandal lengths into a shadow length of 7.75’. I told my daughter you could still tan: tan-1(6.17/7.75) = 38.5 o. This was the angle made between the sun and the horizon on Dec 28th in Naples, Florida. That means that it forms about a 90 - 38.5 = 51.5 o angle with the zenith. At 12:00 PM on Dec 21, the sun was at the zenith at a latitude of 23.5osouth. On average there is an apparent movement of 23.5 o per 365.25 days/4 =0.257 o/day because in one season the sun will be overhead at the equator and not at the Tropic of Capricorn. Between Dec 21 and the 28th this spells out a total movement of 7 days*0.257 o/day = 1.8 o. 51.5 – 23.5 – 1.8 = 26.2 o N is the predicted latitude for Naples according to these measurements. Actual latitude of Naples : 26.141 oN. Today was a much warmer day and our family and I had a lot more fun. But if it had not been so cool yesterday, I would not have turned the length of a shadow into such a neat calculation of Naples’ latitude.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- A Scalar Gravity Coupling Model That Bends Light
- Is The Close Encounters Tune Just A Fun Idea - Or Is Music One Of The Easiest Ways To Communicate With ETs?
- Sorry Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Corn Oil Is Better For Lowering Cholesterol
- Will Permanent CO2 Sequestration Work? An Abandoned Mine May Hold The Key
- T Cell Immunotherapy Show Promising Results For Leukemia
- Meditation Changes Gene Expression, Say Psychologists
- The Puzzle Of How Quantum Effects Help Plant Cells Capture Light
- "Jackson may be a bit much for this discussion.Since you already know how to play with tensor objects..."
- "While you are comparing gravity theories, I wanted to comment on something to prevent confusion..."
- "I am quite satisfied that the action written in this blog cannot describe gravity. Gravity is all..."
- "2-D electronic spectroscopy? Why '2D'? How 'electronic'? energized molecules re-emit light of different..."
- "The situation of Anderson - having the right idea but not publishing a detailed calculation - is..."
- Entropy and sodium intakes, the wicked problems of health sciences
- The Physical Origin of Evolution.
- Australian Researchers Discover Potential Blue Green Algae Cause & Treatment of Motor Neuron Disease (MND) & (ALS)
- 40 really awful writing prompts that no writer should use
- Learning Should Not Be Easy