Dr. Bruce Ames, one of the early heroes of the environmental movement and creator of the Ames Test, which showed how to use in vitro testing to determine if chemicals could cause DNA damage and thus cancer (sparing a lot of animals), went on to rank all kinds of chemicals in order of risk.
Thus, he was an early voice of sanity in the post-DDT world, where activists tried to convince people there is such a thing as chemical-free. His testing led to evidence-based decision-making about risks and the environment and The Scientist did a recent article on him.
He is an old school scientist, he came up before there was a political litmus test to get to the top tiers of academia. So he isn't a shill for environmentalists or industry groups or anyone else, he goes where the science takes him. Thus, he has made enemies everywhere, which is exactly where he should be.
Writing in The Scientist, Megan Scudellari does a nice article about his work then and now. But what caught my attention was a link to it from the American Council on Science and Health and their title: A well-deserved, overdue encomium for Dr. Bruce Ames. Encomium is simply Latin for praise and in the wrong hands it comes across as pretentious (we mean you, Led Zeppelin) or flowery. Used properly, it is egalitarian and exculpatory - see, I just used flowery words unnecessarily and it comes across as dopey.
Kudos to you for your linguistic artistry, ACSH!
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Why An Extra Planet Can't Be Hidden Behind The Sun Or Above The South Pole
- Why Has Organic Farming Flatlined?
- Apollo Astronauts And Cardiovascular-Related Deaths
- My Applied National Security Paper. Being President Isn't For Idiots.
- SYRINA: A Trojan Horse For Endocrine Disrupting Chemicals?
- The Daily Physics Problem - 5
- Mind The (Risk Perception) Gap On BPA
- "Zoran:I didn't say I can't see any bearing. Instead, I unequivocally said Nothing you have written..."
- "Sorry for perhaps being not clear again: I always revise stuff if I find out that I have written..."
- "Essentially you are saying Mark these Nobel Laureates are wrong and you are right. This is commendable..."
- "So what was the precipitating event which caused your re-evaluation?..."
- "I try this one... I am a bit rusty, so my solution can be dramatically wrong. Given that B is uniform..."
- New research adds evidence on potential treatments targeting amyloid beta in Alzheimer's
- In France, hiring biases slightly favor women in male-dominated STEM fields
- Tomatoes resist a parasitic vine by detecting its peptide
- Twisted optics: Seeing light from a new angle
- No dream: Electric brain stimulation during sleep can boost memory