Dr. Bruce Ames, one of the early heroes of the environmental movement and creator of the Ames Test, which showed how to use in vitro testing to determine if chemicals could cause DNA damage and thus cancer (sparing a lot of animals), went on to rank all kinds of chemicals in order of risk.
Thus, he was an early voice of sanity in the post-DDT world, where activists tried to convince people there is such a thing as chemical-free. His testing led to evidence-based decision-making about risks and the environment and The Scientist did a recent article on him.
He is an old school scientist, he came up before there was a political litmus test to get to the top tiers of academia. So he isn't a shill for environmentalists or industry groups or anyone else, he goes where the science takes him. Thus, he has made enemies everywhere, which is exactly where he should be.
Writing in The Scientist, Megan Scudellari does a nice article about his work then and now. But what caught my attention was a link to it from the American Council on Science and Health and their title: A well-deserved, overdue encomium for Dr. Bruce Ames. Encomium is simply Latin for praise and in the wrong hands it comes across as pretentious (we mean you, Led Zeppelin) or flowery. Used properly, it is egalitarian and exculpatory - see, I just used flowery words unnecessarily and it comes across as dopey.
Kudos to you for your linguistic artistry, ACSH!
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Thou Shalt Have One Higgs - $100 Bet Won !
- FDA Stiffs Go Soft On Pink Viagra
- Kashi GoLean Non-GMO Project Cereal Has Traces Of Glyphosate
- Sustainability Won’t Make The World More Fair
- There's No Wild Bee Colony Collapse Either
- Feminists Believe Heterosexual Marriage Is Oppressive, Says Sociologist - And Surveys Prove It
- A Historical Moment For Diabetes
- "Au contraire, you do in fact speak of type 2 diabetes in the context of blood glucose and obesity..."
- "I like a model with 3 HIggs mass states (roughly 125 and 200 and 250 GeV) and would like to bet..."
- "You are putting words in my mouth. Obesity is a (the?) major cause in type 2 diabetes. This is..."
- "I find this report wrought with errors, omissions, and blatant spin. Indeed while obesity is coincident..."
- "It's for the children!..."
- Movie Review: O-D’ing on Sugar Produces Flabby Science
- Unwise to Ignore Calorie Intake While Fighting Heart Disease
- Colon Cancer Risk Reduced with Common Pain Relievers
- Generic Drug Price Gouging Stems from Meddling Congress
- E-Cig Survey Muddles Gateway-to-Smoking Debate
- In Dramatic Return, Mets’ Wright Slugs Spinal Stenosis
- Infliximab biosimilar approved in Australia - lower cost is great, but questions about safety remain
- The radiationless revolution in electromagnetics
- Colorado Front Range storm in 2013 caused 1,000 years of erosion
- Covert, overt and benevolent forms of sexism are equally damaging to working women
- White Grain Disorder: New fungi behind emerging wheat disease