Want to get an iPad? You don't need to go buy one today but don't wait until 2020 - with all of the hysteria about Peak Oil no one is thinking about an issue a lot more pressing, namely the shortage of indium tin oxide, which may have only have a 10 year supply remaining.
Indium is found in zinc deposits and is used to create indium tin oxide which is used to create touchscreens because it is transparent yet conducts electricity.
Will the free market solve this problem? Of course it will and carbon nanotubes will most likely be the solution but it may take 8 years even for HTML 5 to be adopted so if researchers want to make CNTs ready for prime-time in touchscreens they'd better get moving. In the meantime, researchers are working on ways to make the indium tin oxide supply last longer, like by making thinner layers.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Poisons Chemists Hate, But You Just Ate
- CERN And LIP Openings For Graduate Students In Physics - Good $$$
- Supersymmetry Is About To Be Discovered, Kane Says
- End Racist Sexism At US Universities Now
- Our Ethical Responsibilities To Baby Terraformed Worlds - Like Parents
- Single Top Production At The LHC
- IQ: Why 1904 Testing Shouldn't Be Used Today
- "hi there mr walker ive only just heard about nibiru today and ive seen videos after videos I must..."
- "I don't know, seems the LASCO one has got stuck at 8.18 this morning. Try the video for the previous..."
- "how come the soho cam takes so long to change because ive just looked at it and the time still..."
- "so I can have a fear free Christmas and enjoy it with my kids and not keep living in fear of this..."
- "There is nothing at all to be scared of. Can you not see for yourself how silly it all is?..."
- Men who forgo aggressive treatment for prostate cancer don't receive appropriate monitoring
- Watching eyes prevent littering
- Physicians and burnout: It's getting worse
- Posttraumatic stress disorder reveals an imbalance between signalling systems in the brain
- Trap-jaw ants exhibit previously unseen jumping behavior