Want to get an iPad? You don't need to go buy one today but don't wait until 2020 - with all of the hysteria about Peak Oil no one is thinking about an issue a lot more pressing, namely the shortage of indium tin oxide, which may have only have a 10 year supply remaining.
Indium is found in zinc deposits and is used to create indium tin oxide which is used to create touchscreens because it is transparent yet conducts electricity.
Will the free market solve this problem? Of course it will and carbon nanotubes will most likely be the solution but it may take 8 years even for HTML 5 to be adopted so if researchers want to make CNTs ready for prime-time in touchscreens they'd better get moving. In the meantime, researchers are working on ways to make the indium tin oxide supply last longer, like by making thinner layers.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Part I: Bee Deaths Mystery Solved? Neonicotinoids (Neonics) May Actually Help Bee Health
- Microwave Electron Guns: A Field-Emission Plug-And-Play Solution
- Ancient Buried Canyon In South Tibet Rules Out Tectonic Aneurysm
- Interstellar Is A Dangerous Fantasy Of US Colonialism
- The BPA Paradox – Too Many Studies?
- In A Snowstorm, Do You Want Salt Or Vegetable Juice On Your Road?
- Extraordinary Claims: Review My Paper For $10
- "It's not just the city of Seattle. The state Dept of Ecoterrorism finds excuses to slaughter the..."
- "Possibly not so far fetched; Humans seem to prefer funding space exploration on nationalistic rather..."
- "With a MacBook less. Good thing aliens had also spontaneously developed HyperTalk or Taligent or..."
- "That's probably just your American Exceptionalism Privilege talking. Other countries are less imperialistic..."
- "Thanks for reading and offering some generally thoughtful comments, which are often absent in controversial..."
- Clipping proteins that package genes may limit abnormal cell growth in tumors
- Investigational drug reduces high potassium levels in chronic kidney disease patients
- Study: Doubling saturated fat in the diet does not increase saturated fat in blood
- Women with serious mental illness less likely to receive cancer screenings
- Only half of patients take their medications as prescribed
Books By Writers Here