Want to get an iPad? You don't need to go buy one today but don't wait until 2020 - with all of the hysteria about Peak Oil no one is thinking about an issue a lot more pressing, namely the shortage of indium tin oxide, which may have only have a 10 year supply remaining.
Indium is found in zinc deposits and is used to create indium tin oxide which is used to create touchscreens because it is transparent yet conducts electricity.
Will the free market solve this problem? Of course it will and carbon nanotubes will most likely be the solution but it may take 8 years even for HTML 5 to be adopted so if researchers want to make CNTs ready for prime-time in touchscreens they'd better get moving. In the meantime, researchers are working on ways to make the indium tin oxide supply last longer, like by making thinner layers.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- We're Playing Classical Music All Wrong
- Football Physics: The Science Of Deflategate
- The Plot Of The Week: CMS Search For Majorana Neutrinos
- Superbugs: How Montezuma's Revenge Impacts Society Long After That Trip
- Atmospheric Warming Heats The Bottom Of Ice Sheets Also
- Is Glass A Solid Or A Liquid? Yes
- Deflate-gate: Cheating People versus a Flawed Pre-Game Process
- "Your article makes no sense! What if the pats heat their footballs up to 120 degrees before the..."
- "Thanks as usual for the update. A small typo: annichilate in the third paragraph. And a question..."
- "Error bars are the responsible thing to do. I don't see an aesthetic problem. Nice pix last week..."
- "I think a smaller market means a lot higher quality. We get so many terrible pop songs because..."
- "The air inside a leather football is not an ideal gas. That is what I meant.As far as the..."
- Sociologists discover young women and men prefer egalitarian relationships
- Citizen scientists have positive news for Puget Sound seabirds
- Sleeping on stomach increases risk of sudden death in epilepsy
- BPA exposure during pregnancy correlated to oxidative stress in child, mother
- Ventricular assist devices induce heart muscle regeneration