Want to get an iPad? You don't need to go buy one today but don't wait until 2020 - with all of the hysteria about Peak Oil no one is thinking about an issue a lot more pressing, namely the shortage of indium tin oxide, which may have only have a 10 year supply remaining.
Indium is found in zinc deposits and is used to create indium tin oxide which is used to create touchscreens because it is transparent yet conducts electricity.
Will the free market solve this problem? Of course it will and carbon nanotubes will most likely be the solution but it may take 8 years even for HTML 5 to be adopted so if researchers want to make CNTs ready for prime-time in touchscreens they'd better get moving. In the meantime, researchers are working on ways to make the indium tin oxide supply last longer, like by making thinner layers.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- The Number Of My Publications Has Four Digits
- Professor Frenkel: Why Shouldn't We Drop Algebra From Our Education System?
- Matter Can Potentially Accelerate The Expansion Of The Universe
- Metal Hip Replacements Implanted Since 2006 More Prone To Failure
- Why Fraternal Twins Run In Families
- The Geology Of Wine
- Exposure To Particulate Air Pollutants Associated With Numerous Cancers
- "of course they can adopt to the thinking of humans because they programmed by humans so whatever..."
- "Just to add a link, may update article later - to BBC news article about Hinksey power station..."
- "I have a fair amount of math and physics background, and I am sorry but this is not excellent...."
- "There are even papers considering possible dark energy fields that would couple to the standard..."
- "Dear Hank, the United Nations are just a silly NGO. They are not running my country and they are..."
- Cancer drug may treat sepsis, other uncontrollable immune responses to infection
- HPV infection can be identified in self-collected vaginal swabs
- In older adults, frailty and depression symptoms are linked and can affect spouses
- CNIC researchers identify a new signaling mechanism implicated in congenital aortic valve disease
- Screening method uncovers drugs that may combat deadly antibiotic-resistant bacteria