Want to get an iPad? You don't need to go buy one today but don't wait until 2020 - with all of the hysteria about Peak Oil no one is thinking about an issue a lot more pressing, namely the shortage of indium tin oxide, which may have only have a 10 year supply remaining.
Indium is found in zinc deposits and is used to create indium tin oxide which is used to create touchscreens because it is transparent yet conducts electricity.
Will the free market solve this problem? Of course it will and carbon nanotubes will most likely be the solution but it may take 8 years even for HTML 5 to be adopted so if researchers want to make CNTs ready for prime-time in touchscreens they'd better get moving. In the meantime, researchers are working on ways to make the indium tin oxide supply last longer, like by making thinner layers.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- The World Is NOT Ending Today! AWFUL "Silly Season" Story In Telegraph
- Why An Extra Planet Can't Be Hidden Behind The Sun Or Above The South Pole
- Why Has Organic Farming Flatlined?
- My Applied National Security Paper. Being President Isn't For Idiots.
- SYRINA: A Trojan Horse For Endocrine Disrupting Chemicals?
- The Daily Physics Problem - 5
- Apollo Astronauts And Cardiovascular-Related Deaths
- "No nothing is going to happen then either Ian. BTW thanks for signing your comment. It's a great..."
- "Ok so nothing happens today then what about the date thats set for September whats your take on..."
- "David: My previous comment on your previous comment together fit in one screen. So, one can see..."
- "This is just AWFUL - the worst case of irresponsible journalism I have ever seen. An article in..."
- "Zoran:I didn't say I can't see any bearing. Instead, I unequivocally said Nothing you have written..."
- Acute kidney injury identifiable in preterm infants
- Teens who smoke daily are more likely to report health complaints
- Lab method sheds light on how genetic mutations cause inherited Parkinson's disease
- Abundant and diverse ecosystem found in area targeted for deep-sea mining
- Portable device produces biologic drugs on demand