Chinese athletes had been warned by the country's Sports Ministry to avoid meat because it may contain clenbuterol, banned by the International Olympic Committee as a performance-enhancing substance. China bans clenbuterol because of the chemical's noxious long-term effects on human health. The World Anti-Doping Agency issued a warning last year about clenbuterol-tainted meat in China. Mexico also has a serious issue with it but pork farmers in China still use it because it produces leaner meat so the choice was avoidance or take risks.
So Chinese volleyball players had not eaten meat for weeks (they spend billions, could they not import meat?) and, according to their coach, they paid the price. Vegetarian diets are a fine lifestyle choice, of course, so is believing in astrology, but like astrology you should pick your spots. A world-class athlete who is deprived of the complex proteins of meat, especially if they are not used to it, has a much more difficult time physiologically.
Clenbuterol has legitimate uses, just like steroids, it helps dilate the bronchial tubes and is used as an asthma treatment. But the coach of the Chinese volleyball team used no subtlety in blaming diet for the poor performance of his team last weekend at the World Grand Prix finals tournament:
“They have showed significant decline in their strength and fitness” coach Yu Juemin said of his squad after Sunday's defeat to the US. “We are wary of meat tainted by lean-meat powder, and we didn't eat any during the game period,” Yu told the Shanghai Daily newspaper.
In England they will have access to plenty of untainted meat, so they aren't forced to go vegetarian and they should be fine. Just avoid the blood pudding.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- My Thoughts On The LIGO-VIRGO Result
- The 10 catastrophic mistakes virtual reality firms are making
- Henri Poincaré Predicted The Existence Of Gravitational Waves As Early As June 5, 1905
- Gravitational Waves? Watch the LIGO press conference at 10:30 Eastern.
- Using Stories To Teach Human Values To Robots
- Giddings: The 750 GeV Diphoton Resonance Is A Graviton
- Put That In Your E-Cigarette And Vape It: Or Should You?
- "I am somewhat confused. Where did the three solar masses that were converted to gravity waves come..."
- "Veronique,You are right to suspect that the organic industry has been more than happy to go along..."
- "I'm not understanding yet, but this is like unravelling a fun physics puzzle. I'd thank you for..."
- "I would just like to thank the author of this article for having the balls to take a stand against..."
- Natural Flavors Are More Radioactive Than Artificial Ones.
- Bariatric Surgery Beneficial Even for Older People
- Opiates No Better at Easing Knee Osteoarthritis Pain
- BRCA Tests Increasing for Younger Breast Cancer Patients
- EWG Verified: A New Way To Greenmail Food Companies
- A Cluttered Kitchen May Undo Your Diet
- Eating breakfast could help obese people get more active
- 'Jaws' may help humans grow new teeth, shark study suggests
- For a special Valentine? Beyond diamonds and gems: The world's rarest minerals
- Most precise measurement of reactor Antineutrino spectrum reveals intriguing surprise
- Using stories to teach human values to artificial agents