Whereas in America we've been wasting our robot races on autonomous cars that can drive on real roads without causing Michael Bay levels of collateral damage, Japan has taken a more subtle approach.
Their "history making" bipedal robot race involves expensive toy robots stumbling through 422 laps of a 100 meter course, which is followed by visually tracking colored tape on the ground (I'm making an assumption there--the robots may actually be even less capable than that). This is surely one of the most ingenious ways to turn old technology into a major new PR event.
I assume they weren't remote controlling these "autonomous" robots during the race.
Unfortunately, I don't have any video or photos of the 100 meter course; instead I have this:
And the winner is...Robovie PC! Through some uncanny coincidence, that was operated by the Vstone team, the creators of the race.
The practical uses of this technology are numerous. For instance, if you happen to have 42.2 km of perfectly level and flat hallways with no obstructions, one of these robots can follow colored tape around all day without a break(down), defending the premises from vile insects and dust bunnies.
There's no doubt that in the next competition, they will continue to improve their survival capabilities.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Doomsday Dashboard Makes Tracking The Apocalypse Convenient
- Intellectually Gifted Kids And Learning Disabilities Often Go Hand In Hand
- When Does Quantum Mechanics Become Classical Physics?
- Roseroot Herb For Depression - Randomized, Double-blind, Placebo-controlled Trial
- Dark Matter - Now With More Darkness
- Bee Colonies In 2014 Increase Another 4 Percent
- "I am reminded of the Australian children’s sci-fi serial, Tomorrow’s End. It is the year..."
- "Really thank you very much for this list of health guest posts sites ..."
- "Nice article. A good wake up call for educators and psychologists. Failure to..."
- "I can not see any comment yet. Again I do appreciate if one can point out any oversimplification..."
- Food kinetics: Color of lettuce linked to antioxidant effect
- The secret lives of pandas
- First fully-implantable micropacemaker designed for fetal use
- Playing music by musicians activates genes responsible for brain function and singing of songbirds
- CRISPR-Cas9 edit technique for mosquito that transmits chikungunya yellow fever