Even though you're already the mathematical Wizard of Oz, you can still benefit from the Wow factor of hoisting a new curtain of number tricks to impress your friends and intimidate your enemies.
Here, dear geek, are three nifty mind widgets to make mates want you and peers want to be you.
Multiply up to 20x20
1. For example, take 17x13
2. Place the larger number on top, in your head
3. Imagine a box, encompassing the 17 and the 3
4. Add these to make 20
5. Add a zero to this, to make it 200
6. Multiply the 7 and the 3 to get 21
7. Add this to 200 to get the answer: 221
Multiply any two-digit number by 11
1. For example, take 79
2. Add a space between the two digits, making 7___9
3. Add 7 and 9 to get 16
4. Put 16 into the space (remember to carry the tens digit!)
5. The answer is 869
Multiply by 9 on your fingers
1. Lay your spread fingers on a table in front of you
2. To multiply by 4, fold down the fourth finger from the left
3. Now read your fingers: there are three to the left of the fold and six to the right—this makes 36.
Join me every Monday morning for more grandtastic goodies from The Geeks' Guide to World Domination. Or if you like your geekery delivered fresh, consider subscribing to my rss feed or joining my Facebook Fan Page.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- "So...if all dark matter across the universe is a Bose-Einstein condensate sharing the same wave..."
- "True (at least so far), though the bio-absorption of Americium 241 isn't well defined, and Strontium..."
- "No one has used a home smoke detector to build a dirty bomb...."
- "I agree yoga should not be promoted as a treatment for BD, but everyone can gain benefits from..."
- "I had the opportunity to sit on the 3rd baseline at Wrigley, nice field!..."
- Many throat cancer patients can skip neck surgery
- Yoga may help people with bipolar disorder, reports Journal of Psychiatric Practice
- Protein variant may boost cardiovascular risk by hindering blood vessel repair
- Researchers examine role of hormone in response to ovarian cancer treatment
- Coral growth rate plummets in 30-year comparison