Even though you're already the mathematical Wizard of Oz, you can still benefit from the Wow factor of hoisting a new curtain of number tricks to impress your friends and intimidate your enemies.
Here, dear geek, are three nifty mind widgets to make mates want you and peers want to be you.
Multiply up to 20x20
1. For example, take 17x13
2. Place the larger number on top, in your head
3. Imagine a box, encompassing the 17 and the 3
4. Add these to make 20
5. Add a zero to this, to make it 200
6. Multiply the 7 and the 3 to get 21
7. Add this to 200 to get the answer: 221
Multiply any two-digit number by 11
1. For example, take 79
2. Add a space between the two digits, making 7___9
3. Add 7 and 9 to get 16
4. Put 16 into the space (remember to carry the tens digit!)
5. The answer is 869
Multiply by 9 on your fingers
1. Lay your spread fingers on a table in front of you
2. To multiply by 4, fold down the fourth finger from the left
3. Now read your fingers: there are three to the left of the fold and six to the right—this makes 36.
Join me every Monday morning for more grandtastic goodies from The Geeks' Guide to World Domination. Or if you like your geekery delivered fresh, consider subscribing to my rss feed or joining my Facebook Fan Page.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Researchers Created A Laser Bullet To See What It Would Look Like - And Here It Is
- What Americans Fear Most Isn't Ebola Or Terrorism, It's...
- Great Earthquakes Doubled In The Most Recent 10 Year Period - What That Means
- ECFA Workshop: Planning For The High Luminosity LHC
- Slavery In America: Back In The Headlines
- Why Climate 'Uncertainty' Is No Excuse For Doing Nothing
- Dams Are Not The Smart Way To Secure Water For Agriculture
- "Very interesting article. There is a fascinating new drug, PSCK9 inhibiter, currently under..."
- "Here is what surface station really have measured..."
- "You enjoy taking down comments you do not like, don't you king of strawman arguments? ..."
- "I'm sorry the definition was 'one who believes there is no diety' Though my point remains valid..."
- "Wasn't the Webster definition 'someone who believes there is no god' Wouldn't this only be applicable..."
- National Wildlife Refuge System bans on GMOs and neonics lack transparency, scientific rationale
- Want better sperm? Eat more pesticides
- Beyond universal donors, some people are programed with no blood type at all
- Anti-conventional ag movement spurs Big Ag to look to organic pesticides
- Can people really inherit memories?
- An end to fat shaming? The 50 year DNA mystery of metabolic dysfunction may soon be solved
- 100 days in Michigan: U-M team releases new analysis of state's Medicaid expansion
- Trans fats still weighing Americans down
- Can bariatric surgery lead to severe headache?
- Study examines readmission after colorectal cancer surgery as quality measure
- Online dermatologic follow-up for atopic dermatitis earns equivalent results