Even though you're already the mathematical Wizard of Oz, you can still benefit from the Wow factor of hoisting a new curtain of number tricks to impress your friends and intimidate your enemies.
Here, dear geek, are three nifty mind widgets to make mates want you and peers want to be you.
Multiply up to 20x20
1. For example, take 17x13
2. Place the larger number on top, in your head
3. Imagine a box, encompassing the 17 and the 3
4. Add these to make 20
5. Add a zero to this, to make it 200
6. Multiply the 7 and the 3 to get 21
7. Add this to 200 to get the answer: 221
Multiply any two-digit number by 11
1. For example, take 79
2. Add a space between the two digits, making 7___9
3. Add 7 and 9 to get 16
4. Put 16 into the space (remember to carry the tens digit!)
5. The answer is 869
Multiply by 9 on your fingers
1. Lay your spread fingers on a table in front of you
2. To multiply by 4, fold down the fourth finger from the left
3. Now read your fingers: there are three to the left of the fold and six to the right—this makes 36.
Join me every Monday morning for more grandtastic goodies from The Geeks' Guide to World Domination. Or if you like your geekery delivered fresh, consider subscribing to my rss feed or joining my Facebook Fan Page.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Quantum mechanics in 1834?
- Using DNA To Fight Fabric Fraud
- Future Transatlantic Flight Delays Blamed On Global Warming
- Horses Can Read Human Emotions
- Why This New "Planet X" Is No Threat To Earth :).
- Crystal 'Sunstones' - How The Vikings Discovered America?
- The Nullarbor Plain's Ancient Forests Revealed
- "Does the emitted photon from carbon dioxide have EXACTLY the same wavelength as the absorbed photon..."
- " from: http://wattsupwiththat.com/2013/12/02/history-falsifies-climate-alarmist-sea-level-claims/..."
- "Thanks, didn't know about those. But it could also be a shower of hail stones, using the wikipedia..."
- "Are you saying that the sea level data are wrong? I'm just quoting it. If so, please note your data...."
- "For a good place to start, concerning causality as it relates to physics and the mathematics of..."
- Native grass could be key to super-thin condoms
- Teaching neurons to respond to placebos as potential treatment for Parkinson's
- Fall in one-to-one nursing care of very sick newborns linked to higher death rate
- Starfish reveal the origins of brain messenger molecules
- Horses can read human emotions, University of Sussex research shows