India under pressure to accept Copenhagen Accord: Ramesh PTI, 13 January 2010, 03:34pm IST NEW DELHI: India has said it was under pressure from some developing nations to accept the Copenhagen Accord prepared at the UN meet on climate change last month at the Danish Capital. "During the last day of the summit (18 December) when the talks had reached an impasse, it was the intention of European Nations and the US to announce the breakdown and hold the four Basic nations (India, China, Brazil and South Africa) accountable for its failure," Environment Minister Jairam Ramesh said addressing the Aspen Institute of India recently. Speaking about the talks on the concluding day of the Summit, he said the US President (Barack Obama) kept on saying to the head of state of Bangladesh and Maldives that "you are not going to get money (for climate steps) unless these four guys (BASIC nations) sign the Accord." He (Obama) made it categorically clear that any money flow to the developing countries will be linked to the Accord provided the four countries of BASIC group come on board, Ramesh said. "Bangladesh Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina did ask me whether India will deny her country this money. This was the line taken by UK and Australia as well. "Against this background, none of the heads of the four states wanted to be responsible for the breakdown of the talks. China was particularly wary being world's largest green house gas emitter," Ramesh recalled. This "was the moral line taken at the summit and against this background the Accord was noted," he added.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Is Severe Drought Causing The Western US To Geologically Lift?
- Sunlight To Blame For CO2 Release In Arctic Permafrost, Not Microbes
- The Future Of Nuclear Energy May Be A Battery
- Futile ICU Care Prevents Other Patients From Getting Treatment
- Meet BPA-Free, The New BPA
- Tesla At Last? Researchers Send Electricity Through Thin Air
- Don't Dismiss A 2014 'Super' El Niño Just Yet
- "You misunderstand and exaggerate the idea. Misunderstanding: It's about the materials for almost..."
- "Unless you have evidence that PCBs in window caulk in Malibu is causing endocrine disruption (you..."
- "I hope you never get sick, because by your criteria the only cure is praying...."
- "Simple Heuristic approach: Safe by evolution: If human beings or our ancestors (the monkeys) had..."
- "Unfortunately, what you fail to point out is that polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs), which are indeed..."
- High concordance between EGFR mutations from circulating-free tumor DNA and tumor tissue in non-small cell lung cancer
- Study shows cognitive-behavioral coping skills training has positive effects on rheumatoid arthritis
- Study shows Hera Therapeutics compound combats HPV types that cause most cervical cancer
- Penn study: Electronic alerts significantly reduce catheter-associated urinary tract infections
- Deletion predicts survival in advanced non-small cell lung cancer