Despite more than 200 years of exploration, new species of snakes, chameleons, geckos, and skinks are still being discovered in Madagascar, the fourth largest island in the world. American Museum of Natural History associate Curator Chris Raxworthy, who has studied reptiles and amphibians in Madagascar for more than 25 years, will discuss how modern technologies such as satellite imagery and DNA sequencing, along with "muddy boots" field biology in some of the most remote regions of the island, make new discoveries possible at June's SciCafe.
Also appearing: live tortoises.
Admission is free if you are going to be in New York. Tickets here.
Madagascan Giant Day Gecko. © D. Finnin/AMNH
Geckos can hang from ceilings and sleep on tree trunks without falling off. Their secret is in the millions of tiny hairlike structures on their broad toe pads. These structures are so small they use molecular-level forces to adhere to surfaces, even those as smooth as glass.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- President Obama, Why Humans On Mars Right Now Are Bad For Science
- EPA Again Delays Report On Safety Of Glyphosate
- Nitrate-Reducing Microbes Linked To Migraine Headaches
- Physics Outreach With Music
- BPA-Free, With Regrets
- An Astronaut Gardener On The Moon - Summits Of Sunlight And Vast Lunar Caves In Low Gravity
- Americans Don't Know How Much Food They Waste
- "Ok im going to reason with you hear the reason i ask is because i have trust issues and on this..."
- "Astronomers don't say it's real. The Nibiru people cite articles that are talking about different..."
- " They continue spreading this lie of the magnetic polar flip and jesus return and they won´t stop..."
- "I just dont get how so many say its real including astronomers yet so little saying its not nobody..."
- "There is real music....... How masses of pseudoscalar mesons have symmetric position around mass..."
- 'Reasonable' is the new black - finally!
- If You Think Chiropractors Can't Kill You, Think Again
- Chiropractic Adjustments Can Kill
- Do Endocrine Disruptors Really Cost Us Hundreds Of Billions?
- Do Endocrine Disruptors Really Cost Us Billions?
- Predatory Open-Access Journals Sink To A New Low