Despite more than 200 years of exploration, new species of snakes, chameleons, geckos, and skinks are still being discovered in Madagascar, the fourth largest island in the world. American Museum of Natural History associate Curator Chris Raxworthy, who has studied reptiles and amphibians in Madagascar for more than 25 years, will discuss how modern technologies such as satellite imagery and DNA sequencing, along with "muddy boots" field biology in some of the most remote regions of the island, make new discoveries possible at June's SciCafe.
Also appearing: live tortoises.
Admission is free if you are going to be in New York. Tickets here.
Madagascan Giant Day Gecko. © D. Finnin/AMNH
Geckos can hang from ceilings and sleep on tree trunks without falling off. Their secret is in the millions of tiny hairlike structures on their broad toe pads. These structures are so small they use molecular-level forces to adhere to surfaces, even those as smooth as glass.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Should Pregnant Women Be Concerned About BPA?
- Order Patterned With Chaos - How Climate Is Predicted For Decades - With Exact Forecasts Only For Days
- Russian scientists increase DVD storage capacity million times
- Running Sounds May Contain Clues To Injury Prevention
- The Five Stages Of A Dying Theory
- Is The X(5568) A True Resonance ?
- Something is wrong in the Arctic
- "I have not yet unpublished any of your comments here except just now, and all I did was to unpublish..."
- "Okay quick answer, no it is not real. See Debunked: Nibiru will hit Earth on [Insert Date..."
- "Blocking my comments? Cowardly, especially when you are loosing the argument. Again you can find..."
- "Your argument sounds very seductive, although it falls under the category of an appeal to authority..."
- "I just wanted to clarify your statement, When he went into space it was on top of a converted ICBM..."
- The Alzheimer's-Amyloid Hypothesis Confirmed? Not So Fast
- Abortion Rate in U.S. Falls 21% in One Decade
- Child Mummy May Change Timeline for Smallpox
- On Proposed Tanning Bed Ban for Teens, New Study Urges FDA to Act
- Fear Of Dying Got You Down? Retail Therapy Can Help
- It’s Not Brain Surgery, But do you Know What is? Brain Surgery!