Despite more than 200 years of exploration, new species of snakes, chameleons, geckos, and skinks are still being discovered in Madagascar, the fourth largest island in the world. American Museum of Natural History associate Curator Chris Raxworthy, who has studied reptiles and amphibians in Madagascar for more than 25 years, will discuss how modern technologies such as satellite imagery and DNA sequencing, along with "muddy boots" field biology in some of the most remote regions of the island, make new discoveries possible at June's SciCafe.
Also appearing: live tortoises.
Admission is free if you are going to be in New York. Tickets here.
Madagascan Giant Day Gecko. © D. Finnin/AMNH
Geckos can hang from ceilings and sleep on tree trunks without falling off. Their secret is in the millions of tiny hairlike structures on their broad toe pads. These structures are so small they use molecular-level forces to adhere to surfaces, even those as smooth as glass.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- On Sexuality, You Weren't Born That Way, Says Paper
- Bubble-wrapped Sponge Creates Steam Using Sunlight
- Reframing Body Weight As Baby Weight May Help Women Handle Pregnancy
- Petition: Let's End Dramatized Reporting Of "Doomsday" Stories - The Vulnerable Get Suicidal
- Stem Cell Therapy Heals Injured Mouse Brain
- Watching Thoughts -- And Addiction -- Form In The Brain
- Post-Doctoral Positions In Experimental Physics For Foreigners
- "i've often wondered https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Behavioral_sink ..."
- "Dylan, yes back online now. The Sun, and Moon are visible in all those places, of course, so if..."
- "Tina, I think it's best to try to understand the constellation argument because then you can just..."
- "People worry about a system entering ours and spelling doomsday for us all, however I believe if..."
- " I appreciate your hard work and look forward to any future publications with great interest, thank..."
- Fauci: Don’t Make Policy Based on Animal Studies
- Exercise Could Save Your Liver
- Precision Medicine Stands On Imprecise Infrastructure
- Standing with Giants: A Collection of Public Health Essays in Memoriam to Dr. Elizabeth M. Whelan
- RIP Dr. D.A. Henderson, ACSH Trustee Who Helped End Smallpox
- How Safe Are Tattoos?