Despite more than 200 years of exploration, new species of snakes, chameleons, geckos, and skinks are still being discovered in Madagascar, the fourth largest island in the world. American Museum of Natural History associate Curator Chris Raxworthy, who has studied reptiles and amphibians in Madagascar for more than 25 years, will discuss how modern technologies such as satellite imagery and DNA sequencing, along with "muddy boots" field biology in some of the most remote regions of the island, make new discoveries possible at June's SciCafe.
Also appearing: live tortoises.
Admission is free if you are going to be in New York. Tickets here.
Madagascan Giant Day Gecko. © D. Finnin/AMNH
Geckos can hang from ceilings and sleep on tree trunks without falling off. Their secret is in the millions of tiny hairlike structures on their broad toe pads. These structures are so small they use molecular-level forces to adhere to surfaces, even those as smooth as glass.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Inheritable Bacterium Controls Aedes Mosquitoes' Ability To Transmit Zika
- What Lies Beneath West Antarctica?
- Exodus 2100: Due To Climate Change
- Unified Mathematical Field Theory Talk
- How To Make Women's Tennis More Competitive
- Study Suggests Bipolar Disorder Has Genetic Links To Autism
- Star With Different Internal Driving Force Than The Sun
- "Just adding another link. Spinning Brains..."
- "Okay, yes I hadn't thought about clear walled aquariums. That's a good example :). Maybe its easier..."
- " I tried to form a number system with Z6 and I got the same thing as with Z4 ! I too am unclear..."
- "Or maybe homosexuals are just more messed up than average to begin with. Nope, can't be. It's always..."
- "Perhaps it is time that large groups assign some type of weighting to authors to indicate their..."
- War On Fun Fail: After Tax, Soda Sales Rise in Mexico
- Bed Bugs May Have A Favorite Color
- NASA: Rising CO2 Will Help Food Crops
- NRDC Sues EPA Over Fracking – Has The Settlement Been Pre-Arranged?
- Vaccinate Pregnant Moms to Protect Babies from the Flu
- Pure Unstructured Structured Water – Because Some People Will Buy Anything
- Detailed digital human models could hold key to future clinical research
- Extreme ICU: 5 percent of patients account for 33 percent of intensive care and need special focus
- Walking and cycling are good for health even in cities with higher levels of air pollution
- Heavy body shape across lifespan associated with highest mortality
- The NHS is far safer inside the European Union, argues public health expert