So after having eaten all those chocolate Easter eggs you come to realize that the bathroom scales now show your weight to be even further from what it ought to be for your own good, and as a scientifically minded person you decide to blame it all on the Higgs field; after all, as everyone knows from reading the popular press, it's the Higgs field that gives elementary particles their mass.
Well, you're doing the Higgs a severe wrong, because it isn't to blame for your weight problem at all (unless you're a top quark or a B meson, in which case your life expectancy is way to short for you to even read the first line of this post). The real culprit is Quantum Chromodynamics (QCD to its friends).
While it is true that the fundamental particles (like electrons or quarks, or the W and Z bosons that mediate the weak interactions which are responsible, e.g., for beta decays) obtain their masses through their coupling to the Higgs field, the masses of the elementary particles making up all of ordinary matter (the electron and the up and down quarks) are quite tiny. Take for example a hydrogen atom: the electron's mass contributes only about 0.05 percent of its mass, while the remainder is the mass of the proton. And the masses of the up and down quarks are only about 2 percent of the mass of the proton.
I deal with small things, not giant Easter eggs, so your tight pants today are not my fault - Love, Higgs Boson.
So where does the rest of the mass of the proton (and hence of the atom, and hence of that surplus fat) come from? The answer lies in the most famous equation of the world, E=mc2, which asserts that mass is a form of energy, and that conversely all energy has mass. The vastly greater part of the mass of the proton (and hence ... you got it) comes from the energy of the strong interactions that bind the quarks together, and those interactions are described by QCD. Computer simulations of QCD indeed show that the mass of the proton is precisely what QCD predicts it to be.
And even for a hypothetical world where no Higgs field exists and the up and down quarks are therefore massless, QCD predicts that the proton would still have a mass comparable to the one it has in the real world, and hence so would you (well, in fact you wouldn't exist, because the electron would be massless, too, an therefore the Bohr radius would be infinite and there would be no stable atoms at all).
So apologize nicely to the Higgs field (it is apparently quite shy, so don't take offence if your apology is not accepted right away) and heap the blame for your weight problems onto QCD, who is after all the real culprit (although nobody said you absolutely had to eat all those chocolate eggs, did they?).
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- How A Former Naturopath Can Help Unravel The Trickery of Alternative Medicine
- What Did Earth's Ancient Magnetic Field Look Like?
- Can A New Rule Trigger A Second EU Referendum? Petition Signatures Over 10% Of Total Votes Cast
- Finding All-Hadronic Top - Again
- Insects Were Already Using Camouflage 100 Million Years Ago
- Some Celiac Disease May Be Due To Viruses
- Better Brains With Beer
- "Robert, Out of curiosity I added totalled the Ashcroft figures of both Leave and Remain age groups..."
- "Ugh. Thanks for reminding me about the horrors of Abilify. My father, who is bipolar, was prescribed..."
- "Oops, I certainty didn't mean to suggest anything improper and I hasten to clarify that your comments..."
- "I usually never comment on blogs, or articles but this one is special. You have shown a couple..."
- "You are a very ignorant, and uneducated person. You have just cost so many many people life saving..."
- Anti-Intellectualism Is Biggest Threat to Modern Society
- Chemistry Can Help Roast the Perfect Coffee Bean
- What Happens To A Soccer Player’s Brain After Missing A Penalty Kick
- It’s Back to Shots for Flu Prevention
- ACSH Applauds Media Awareness of the Fentanyl Crisis
- Counting Bites Examined, to Help Decrease Food Intake
- How to stop the United Nations from abusing its immunity
- Study examines quality of end life care for patients with different illnesses
- Improvements needed in end-of-life care for patients with organ failure
- Georgetown Institute launches real-time study of smartphone fertility app use
- After Brexit, Italy May Be Next