The laws of physics are absolute - in theory. And with an exception. So absolute doesn't always mean what we think it means.
How heat and temperature related to energy, the laws of thermodynamics, seem to violate the laws of physics theoretically. But now they theoretically don't.
A paper recently published in EPJ B discussed a theoretical model of the environment's influence on a particle does not violate the third law of thermodynamics, despite appearances to the contrary. These findings are relevant for systems at the micro or nanometer scale that are difficult to decouple from the heat or the quantum effects exerted by their environment.
The authors focused on a model system favored by thermodynamics experts that consists of a free particle strongly coupled to a heat bath, representing the effect of its environment. Studies of such systems typically focus on how much energy is needed to raise their temperature by a certain amount, or so-called specific heat. Previous theoretical predictions suggested that, under certain circumstances, the specific heat can decrease below zero at a temperature of strictly zero (−273.15°C).
This prediction appears to breach the third law of thermodynamics, which states that the specific heat must drop to zero value at strictly zero temperature.
The authors demonstrated that the third law of thermodynamics is not actually violated. In fact, a real particle will always be confined to a finite volume—even if that volume may be extremely large. Therefore, they discovered that previous studies need to be modified in order to account for a spatial confinement of the particle.
The new model demonstrates how the negative specific heat for a truly free particle is related to a dip in the specific heat, which should be observable in the presence of a confinement.
Citation: R. Adamietz, G.-L. Ingold, and U. Weiss (2014), Thermodynamic anomalies in the presence of general linear dissipation: from the free particle to the harmonic oscillator, European Physical Journal B, DOI 10.1140/epjb/e2014-50125-2
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- An Easy Problem
- Nobel Prize Validates Chinese Medicine? Nope.
- Thank You Guido
- Mother Jones Hates Scientists - And Their Bias Shows
- Coincidence Or Conspiracy? Investigating If Believers Really See So Much Secret Design
- Prenatal BPA Exposures (Don’t) Affect Birth Weight
- Nobel Prize To Neutrino Oscillations
- "It is unlikely anyone did anything to you. And most of the slaves - before importation was outlawed..."
- "Yes, the war on guns will be about as successful as the war on drugs. Just say No! 3D-printed guns..."
- "Yes, we people of color need mental health care; we hallucinated white-perpetrated slavery, segregation..."
- "I am betting you need mental health care. You are trying to contend that the color of skin - but..."
- "Indeed, the name of the article is This Is the Lamest Defense of GMO Foods Ever and he false equivalences..."
- Why Is Mother Jones So Afraid Of Science? And Journalism?
- Weight-Loss Surgery Improves Health of Some Diabetics
- Ben Carson Bungles Again, Treating Cancer with Supplements
- No Vax, No School: US Supreme Court Backs NY State
- Remaking the Peanut to Make Schools Safer
- Ancient Chinese Medicine Not Magical, Nobel Prize or Not