Caribou Coffee, founded in 1992, says nationwide surveys show that the number one complaint of coffee-drinkers is the way it stains. Be it coffee rings to drips on white dress shirts to stains on teeth, a cup of coffee can start your day off right or ruin it right away.
So they responded with a proprietary new coffee blend that has removed the color while, they say, retaining all the flavor. They say this entirely colorless, stain-free beverage is the result of an innovation in bean cultivation techniques and processing.
They are selling the Clear Coffee beans online at CaribouClearCoffee.com and next month will install its proprietary filtering technology in brewing machines in Caribou coffeehouse stores nationwide.
"It's a game changer," CEO Mike Tattersfield said in their statement. "Caribou Coffee has always been an innovator in the coffee market, so naturally this was the next step. And we knew April 1 was the perfect day to share this new beverage innovation with the world."
Tattersfield said that Caribou has several patents pending in connection with the innovation, which combines their "proprietary hydrostatic reverse osmosis with an inverted ice filtration system" and that allowed them to isolate the coffee oils from the coffee color.
But does it taste the same or is this a decaffeinated-style disappointment?
"When I tried it for the first time, I couldn't believe it," said master roaster Brian Aliffi. "The flavor notes were all there — citrus, floral and just a hint of nutmeg. I almost cried."
"We've already switched over entirely to Clear Coffee in our headquarters," Tattersfield said. "The cleaning crew loves it."
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Researchers Created A Laser Bullet To See What It Would Look Like - And Here It Is
- The Strange Organic Molecules In Titan's Atmosphere
- How Gut Bacteria Ensure A Healthy Brain – and Could Play A Role In Treating Depression
- The Quote Of The Week - Shocked And Disappointed
- Will Holding Thermal Printer Paper Really Send Your BPA Levels Soaring?
- As The Weather Changes, So Do Beliefs About Climate Change
- Moderate Pot Use By Adolescents Doesn't Hurt IQ
- "BTW Nury, I don't think you will find that many, if any atheists advocate barbaric and extremely..."
- "I cleaned up the code to better exclude partial years...."
- "I admit: I have (only) glanced through two of the three links you have given in your reply (not..."
- "So the people most qualified to help are working for free at night? I doubt that. Anyway, you objected..."
- US Ebola hysteria and money pit highlight lack of resources to confront diseases that kill far more people
- Addiction can be measured by epigenetics
- Coffee grounds turned biofuel can heat your home
- Bill and Melinda Gates on GMOs: ‘Poor farmers should not be denied choice of life-saving tools’
- Why do foodies love organics? Because they taste like McDonald’s!
- GMO milk? An enviros dream innovation that most enviros oppose
- Sunshine may slow weight gain and diabetes onset, study suggests
- Mother's gestational diabetes linked to daughters being overweight later
- An over-the-scope clipping device for endoscopic management of gastrointestinal defects is safe and effective
- Bodies at sea: Ocean oxygen levels may impact scavenger response
- Screening questions fail to identify teens at risk for hearing loss