The 37th International Conference on High Energy Physics (ICHEP) began last Thursday in Valencia, Spain with three days of parallel sessions, now moves on to plenary sessions until Wednesday, summing up the current state of the art in the field. The plenary sessions will be webcast.
The LHC experiments ATLAS, CMS, ALICE and LHCb presented new results from the LHC’s first run, which concluded in 2013. For ATLAS and CMS, the run-1 Brout-Englert-Higgs (BEH) analyses are reaching a conclusion and all show that the Higgs particle behaves in a way consistent with the Standard Model: the theory that accounts for the behavior of fundamental particles of matter and the interactions at work between them.
The Standard Model describes the behavior of what we consider to be ordinary matter to great precision, but we know that ordinary matter makes up just about 5% of the total matter and energy of the Universe: there’s much more to be discovered in the so-called dark Universe of Dark Matter and Energy.
Supersymmetry is a gigantic field for theoreticians so now proponents are reworking Dark Matter, which predicts a range of so-far unobserved particles that could make up the 27% of the Universe, to fit that hypothesis. Through run-1, the LHC experiments have ruled out most supersymmetric models, and more possibilities will be excluded or remain in run-2. Based on the run-1 sample, the BEH analyses do not rule out new physics, and with a much higher Higgs production rate at higher energy in run-2, there is still hope for supersymmetry.
Spearheaded by the ALICE experiment, which is dedicated to exploring Quark Gluon Plasma (QGP), the hot-dense state of matter that would have existed just after the Big Bang, all the LHC experiments have delivered new insights into this exotic form of matter. And LHCb, the experiment that specializes in measuring short-lived particles with great precision, presented a range of results showing the power of the LHCb detector in contributing to a wide range of topics, from QGP to matter-antimatter asymmetry.
After 18 months of maintenance and upgrading, the CERN accelerator complex is now starting up for physics.
“The LHC is a focal point for particle physics research at the high-energy frontier,” said CERN Director General Rolf Heuer. “It forms part of globally coordinated strategy for the field, with plans in Europe, North America and Japan converging to ensure strength in the field in all regions.”
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Wait, Let's Not Be In Such A Rush To Go Multiplanetary Or Interstellar - A Comment On Elon Musk's Vision
- Paleo: In A Clinical Trial, Bread Made With Ancient Grains Could Benefit Heart Health
- Petition To Youtube To Halt Ads On Doomsday Videos - They Make The Vulnerable Suicidal
- Hubble Spots Europa Geysers Again - How They Did It - And What Next? Flyby? Lander?
- Why Psychology Lost Its Soul - Science Replaced It
- Chatelperronian Hominins: Disputed Neanderthal Region Confirmed In France
- No Go Area! What? What is that?
- "Oh, had to look it up, that's the first asteroid to be detected with a tiny 1 in a million chance..."
- "Robert hey you know the asteroid called 2002 NT7? I know that NASA already ruled out the possibility..."
- "Seems you agree with me a few things. How would you make your own scale? (ignoring desire for the..."
- "Well, first there's the timescale. If you build a dyson sphere, you don't have the capability to..."
- "I don't think that much of the Kardashev scale. Especially L2,3 star vs galaxy. How would it be..."
- Is Parenting Kids of Human and Canine Persuasion the Same? Yes!
- Diabetes: MiniMed 670G Hybrid Closed-Loop Insulin System Is A Waypoint To An Artificial Pancreas
- Celebrate Oktoberfest with Beer Chemistry
- Littlest Consumers Doing Well, Nutrition-wise
- Herpes Vaccine Update: Exciting News, But Don't Throw Away Condoms Just Yet
- Ben & Jerry’s Asks Us to Take Big Lick of Fear & Hype
- How would you like a kitchen surface that cleans itself?
- Vitamin D could help control TB in animals
- Antipsychotic medications linked to increased risk of pneumonia in persons with Alzheimer's disease
- Multiple sclerosis misdiagnosis shows need for improved education of clinicians
- Brown adipose tissue can secrete factors that activate fat and carbohydrate metabolism