Star Wars Day is May 4th so you are probably wondering how you would build deflector shields in case the US government is worried about turtles on its former nuclear testing grounds and thinks your cows will harm the ecosystem and sends a Death Star after you.
You're in luck; not only are they scientifically feasible, the principle behind them is already used here on Earth.
If you're too young to have seen the original, and missed the flawed prequels, you needn't feel left out - in almost every science-fiction scenario, spaceships are protected by a shield defense system that deflects enemy laser fire.
Death Star. Source: Wikipedia.
Link: University of Leicester.
How would you build one of those? You'd need a surrounding field of super-hot plasma, held in place by a magnetic field around the ship. The denser the plasma, the higher the frequency of electromagnetic wave - laser radiation - deflected.
The principle is already used in ‘over-the-horizon’ radio communications, used for decades in early warning RADAR systems and for long distance communications where satellite communications are not feasible.
Three fourth-year physics students from the University of Leicester tackled the problem of how to create this kind of deflector shield. They also discovered one limitation.
They calculated that the magnet strength required is achievable, but would need a large power source that would restrict space in your ship. One major restriction would be that a shield designed to deflect light radiation would prevent any light reaching the pilot, leaving them effectively blind.
That's solvable, though. Set phasers for fun!
Citation: Joseph McGuire, Alexander Toohie, Alexandra Pohl, 'P6_11 Shields Up! The Physics of Star Wars', Physics Special Topics, North America, 12 8 12 2013.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- A Dimuon Particle At 30 GeV In ALEPH ??
- Journalists - Please Fact Check Your "Doomsday" News Stories -They Terrify Young Children And Vulnerable People
- DDoS war: How zombie fridges bit the internet in the a$$ today.
- President Obama, Why Humans On Mars Right Now Are Bad For Science
- A Racist On The Jews: Let The Donald Trump!
- Biofuels Are A Climate Mistake
- EPA Again Delays Report On Safety Of Glyphosate
- "The only people who are in for a shock are the people who believe in it, when nothing happens...."
- "Oh, okay, you need to understand a bit about how solar systems form. It starts with a condensing..."
- "Are we gonna be in for a shock with this nibiru planet mr walker also if you had the chance to..."
- "The thing that gets me mr walker is planets can collide so why all of a sudden is this now impossible..."
- "Oh, I saw that comment thanks. I didn't see any point in replying. They gave no reasons, didn't..."
- The Math of Hunting and Fishing: When to Work Together
- Placebo: Bubbles Of Nothing Are Still Not Something
- People Who Take Drugs May Be Likelier to Commit Suicide
- Improved 'Screen Time' Guidelines Could Make Parents & Kids Happier
- Dr. Jamie Wells Named One Of America's Top Pediatricians
- Why Did EPA Delay Its Glyphosate Safety Report?