Star Wars Day is May 4th so you are probably wondering how you would build deflector shields in case the US government is worried about turtles on its former nuclear testing grounds and thinks your cows will harm the ecosystem and sends a Death Star after you.
You're in luck; not only are they scientifically feasible, the principle behind them is already used here on Earth.
If you're too young to have seen the original, and missed the flawed prequels, you needn't feel left out - in almost every science-fiction scenario, spaceships are protected by a shield defense system that deflects enemy laser fire.
Death Star. Source: Wikipedia.
Link: University of Leicester.
How would you build one of those? You'd need a surrounding field of super-hot plasma, held in place by a magnetic field around the ship. The denser the plasma, the higher the frequency of electromagnetic wave - laser radiation - deflected.
The principle is already used in ‘over-the-horizon’ radio communications, used for decades in early warning RADAR systems and for long distance communications where satellite communications are not feasible.
Three fourth-year physics students from the University of Leicester tackled the problem of how to create this kind of deflector shield. They also discovered one limitation.
They calculated that the magnet strength required is achievable, but would need a large power source that would restrict space in your ship. One major restriction would be that a shield designed to deflect light radiation would prevent any light reaching the pilot, leaving them effectively blind.
That's solvable, though. Set phasers for fun!
Citation: Joseph McGuire, Alexander Toohie, Alexandra Pohl, 'P6_11 Shields Up! The Physics of Star Wars', Physics Special Topics, North America, 12 8 12 2013.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Single Top Production At The LHC
- Dietary Restriction, Circadian Rhythm, And Long Life
- Our Ethical Responsibilities To Baby Terraformed Worlds - Like Parents
- Supersymmetry Is About To Be Discovered, Kane Says
- Anomaly! - A Different Particle Physics Book
- Like Human Civilization? Thank Our Evil Side
- End Racist Sexism At US Universities Now
- "some are saying that's why there is so many videos on youtube so the whole world can see nibiru..."
- "Thanks Zee, and good point about trolls. Including people who like scaring other people just because..."
- "Potentially you could have a test tube sort of structure almost to the surface where a liquid is..."
- "A single cryptic link to this by John Derbyshire on why educrats cannot handle black affirmative..."
- " I'm gonna call you out on a source for that. I haven't heard anything about this. I've read nonsense..."
- Reduced blood flow seen in brain after clinical recovery of acute concussion
- MRI reveals weight loss protects knees
- Imaging identifies cartilage regeneration in long-distance runners
- Medicaid expansion improves breast cancer screening for low-income women
- Parental absence affects brain development in children