A recent Newsweek article claimed that the mystery of the brains behind Bitcoin had been solved - and Dorian S. Nakamoto was the guy.
The primary author of the celebrated
Bitcoin paper has remained unknown. Bitcoin is an Internet-based virtual currency which allows users to buy goods and services online. The payment system, introduced in 2009, is supposedly easier and safer than sending money via more traditional means. Using Bitcoin to pay for items also means avoiding credit card, foreign exchange or cash handling fees.
A new examination, nicknamed ‘Project Bitcoin’, was undertaken by a team of 40 final-year forensic linguistics students led by Dr. Jack Grieve, Lecturer in Forensic Linguistics at Aston University’s Centre for Forensic Linguistics. It looked at linguistic similarities between the Bitcoin paper and the writing of eleven other individuals that are regularly referred to as possible authors: Dorian S. Nakamoto, Vili Lehdonvirta, Michael Clear, Shinichi Mochizuki, Gavin Andresen, Nick Szabo, Jed McCaleb, Dustin D. Trammel, Hal Finney, Wei Dai, and Neal King, Vladimir Oksman&Charles Bry.
Bitcoin logo. Credit: if we knew that, we
wouldn't have posted this article, now would we?
The analysis also questioned why the most-cited textual feature of the Bitcoin paper is the fact that it contains double spaces after full stops. The Bitcoin paper was drafted using Latex, an open source document preparation system. Without the base .tex for the Bitcoin paper, which is not available, researchers are unable to tell if the author double spaces between sentences. However, the study noted that Szabo uses Latex for all his publications.
Their conclusion, including all of those factors: it was Nick Szabo, a blogger and former George Washington University law professor.
Grieve said: “The number of linguistic similarities between Szabo’s writing and the Bitcoin paper is uncanny, none of the other possible authors were anywhere near as good of a match. We are pretty confident that out of the list of people regularly referred to as possibilities, Nick Szabo is the main author of the paper, though we can’t rule out the possibility that others contributed.
“Our study adds to the weight of evidence pointing towards Nick Szabo. The case looks pretty clear-cut. Szabo is an expert in law, finance, cryptography and computer science. He created ‘bit gold’, a precursor to Bitcoin, and was looking for collaborators in 2008. Did Nick Szabo create Bitcoin? We’re not sure, but we think he probably wrote the paper so it’s certainly worth a closer look.”
The results showed that, of the eleven, Szabo is by far the closest match, with a large number of distinctive linguistic traits appearing in both the Bitcoin paper and Szabo’s blogs and other writings. This includes the use of: the phrases “chain of…”, “trusted third parties”, “for our purposes”, “need for…”, “still”, “of course”, “as long as”, “such as” and “only” numerous times, contractions, commas before ‘and’ and ‘but’, hyphenation, ‘-ly’ adverbs, the pronouns ‘we’ and ‘our’ in papers by a single author; fragmented sentences following colons and reflexive (-self) pronouns.
In total hundreds of documents written by the eleven possible authors were considered, including over 40 academic papers written by Szabo which are available on his personal website.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Doomsday Dashboard Makes Tracking The Apocalypse Convenient
- Intellectually Gifted Kids And Learning Disabilities Often Go Hand In Hand
- When Does Quantum Mechanics Become Classical Physics?
- Roseroot Herb For Depression - Randomized, Double-blind, Placebo-controlled Trial
- Dark Matter - Now With More Darkness
- Bee Colonies In 2014 Increase Another 4 Percent
- "I am reminded of the Australian children’s sci-fi serial, Tomorrow’s End. It is the year..."
- "Really thank you very much for this list of health guest posts sites ..."
- "Nice article. A good wake up call for educators and psychologists. Failure to..."
- "I can not see any comment yet. Again I do appreciate if one can point out any oversimplification..."
- Food kinetics: Color of lettuce linked to antioxidant effect
- The secret lives of pandas
- First fully-implantable micropacemaker designed for fetal use
- Playing music by musicians activates genes responsible for brain function and singing of songbirds
- CRISPR-Cas9 edit technique for mosquito that transmits chikungunya yellow fever