Most people can't read lips. If you turn down the sound on your television, you can see why it is difficule. Unless trained, if you see someone speak a sentence without the accompanying sounds, you are unlikely to recognize many words but it turns out people can lip-read themselves better than they can lip-read others, and that shows an interesting link between speech perception and speech production.
Nancy Tye-Murray and colleagues from Washington University developed simple, nonsensical sentences from word boards, e.g. The duck watched the boy and The snail watched the goose, so that participants would easily identify and recognize individual words. Twenty adults recorded the sentences and, after several weeks, lip-read silent video clips with sentences spoken both by themselves and by nine other participants.
Participants were able to lip-read video clips of themselves consistently more accurately than video clips of others. These findings suggest that seeing someone speak activates speech processes that link 'seen' words to 'actual' words in the mental lexicon, and the activation is particularly strong when you see yourself speak.
The authors conclude: "This study is one of the first to show that not only can people recognize their own actions from those of others, but they can better interpret their own actions. A strong link may exist between how we perform actions and how we perceive actions; that is, we may activate some of the very same mental representations when performing and when perceiving. These findings have important implications for understanding how we learn new actions and, particularly, for how we learn to recognize and produce speech."
Citation: Tye-Murray N et al (2012). Reading your own lips: common-coding theory and visual speech perception. Psychonomic Bulletin&Review; DOI 10.3758/s13423-012-0328-5
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- World Did NOT End On 29th July! AWFUL "Silly Season" Story - Journalists Please Be More Responsible
- Why An Extra Planet Can't Be Hidden Behind The Sun Or Above The South Pole
- Mind The (Risk Perception) Gap On BPA
- My Applied National Security Paper. Being President Isn't For Idiots.
- Why Do Consumers Participate In 'green' Programs?
- Hugh Hefner's Wife Was Not Poisoned By Breast Implants
- SYRINA: A Trojan Horse For Endocrine Disrupting Chemicals?
- "That's fine. I don't know. As I said it shows that there are lots of people out there who have..."
- "Sorry mr walker really dont mean to question you but how can something that is not supposed to..."
- "That it's not remotely possible. I saw pages and watched videos by people who had no understanding..."
- "So what exactly was your thoughts when you first heard of nibiru then and is really not coming..."
- "Hello Sacha,Humility is a good thing, but 100% may not be science, Acceptable certainty with room..."
- Tracking how HIV disrupts immune system informs vaccine development
- Green monkeys acquired Staphylococcus aureus from humans
- Researchers find molecular switch that triggers bacterial pathogenicity
- Scientists identify immunological profiles of people who make powerful HIV antibodies
- Breastfeeding associated with better brain development and neurocognitive outcomes