Most people can't read lips. If you turn down the sound on your television, you can see why it is difficule. Unless trained, if you see someone speak a sentence without the accompanying sounds, you are unlikely to recognize many words but it turns out people can lip-read themselves better than they can lip-read others, and that shows an interesting link between speech perception and speech production.
Nancy Tye-Murray and colleagues from Washington University developed simple, nonsensical sentences from word boards, e.g. The duck watched the boy and The snail watched the goose, so that participants would easily identify and recognize individual words. Twenty adults recorded the sentences and, after several weeks, lip-read silent video clips with sentences spoken both by themselves and by nine other participants.
Participants were able to lip-read video clips of themselves consistently more accurately than video clips of others. These findings suggest that seeing someone speak activates speech processes that link 'seen' words to 'actual' words in the mental lexicon, and the activation is particularly strong when you see yourself speak.
The authors conclude: "This study is one of the first to show that not only can people recognize their own actions from those of others, but they can better interpret their own actions. A strong link may exist between how we perform actions and how we perceive actions; that is, we may activate some of the very same mental representations when performing and when perceiving. These findings have important implications for understanding how we learn new actions and, particularly, for how we learn to recognize and produce speech."
Citation: Tye-Murray N et al (2012). Reading your own lips: common-coding theory and visual speech perception. Psychonomic Bulletin&Review; DOI 10.3758/s13423-012-0328-5
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- A 3 TeV Dielectron Event By CMS !
- Germany Versus Science, Round Two
- The Dynamical Origin Of Quantum Mechanics (I)
- Mountain Doomed: CO2 Bubbles And Heart Attacks
- Bt Spray In The Organic Movement: Hypocrisy Or Scientific Illiteracy?
- Study Finds Atrazine Pesticide Doesn't Impact Aquatic Plant Life
- Copters, Drones - Location Data Is Changing The World
- "Simple correction r2-=0.09 means that only 9% of the variance of the incidence might be associated..."
- "A protein which cannot be expressed in humans is different than a toxic pesticide. The people who..."
- "The laws are indeed strong only on paper. ISIS commits war crimes for TV cameras, and is hardly..."
- "They're just examples kneemo, they probably took 3 TeV as a benchmark just because it's a bit beyond..."
- "2.9 TeV would be in agreement with Z' (SSM) fits I've seen...."