Researchers from Uppsala and Stockholm Universities say that the hunter-gatherers who inhabited the southern coast of Scandinavia 4,000 years ago were lactose intolerant.
The conclusion suggests that today's Scandinavians are not descended from the Stone Age people in question but from a group that arrived later. Results of the research have been published in the journal BMC Evolutionary Biology.
"This group of hunter-gatherers differed significantly from modern Swedes in terms of the DNA sequence that we generally associate with a capacity to digest lactose into adulthood," says Anna Linderholm, formerly of the Archaeological Research Laboratory, Stockholm University.
According to the researchers, two possible explanations exist for the DNA differences.
"One possibility is that these differences are evidence of a powerful selection process, through which the Stone Age hunter-gatherers' genes were lost due to some significant advantage associated with the capacity to digest milk," says Linderholm. "The other possibility is that we simply are not descended from this group of Stone Age people."
The capacity to consume unprocessed milk into adulthood is regarded as having been of great significance for human prehistory.
"This capacity is closely associated with the transition from hunter-gatherer to agricultural societies," says Anders Götherström of the Department of Evolutionary Biology at Uppsala University.
"In the present case, we are inclined to believe that the findings are indicative of what we call "gene flow," in other words, migration to the region at some later time of some new group of people, with whom we are genetically similar," he says. "This accords with the results of previous studies."
Citation: Malmstrom et al., 'High frequency of lactose intolerance in a prehistoric hunter-gatherer population in northern Europe', BMC Evolutionary Biology, 2010, 10(1), 89; doi: 10.1186/1471-2148-10-89
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Galaxy EGS-zs8-1 - 13 Billion Years Old
- Standards Needed For Post-Conviction Review Of Forensic Evidence
- Warm Oceans Caused The Mega-Drought And Hottest Years In The 1934-36 Dust Bowl
- Researchers Capture What Thunder Looks Like - Yes, You Read That Right
- Chipotle’s GMO Gimmick Turned Them Into The Public Face Of Science Illiteracy
- The Neuroscience Reason We Fall Over When Drunk
- How Our View Of What Makes Us Happy Has Changed Since The 1930s
- "Hi Luca, there's also another thing we are missing: the infrastructure. A true internet of things..."
- "I just watched an 18 minute John Oliver clip on standardized testing. He wasn't too kind on the..."
- "as requested by Professor Hall: Posted at the Conversation original version by Charles Hall I liked..."
- "It lists % of meals and then calories. I can't imagine anyone would not understand that. Do we..."
- "How can you call your website Science 2.0 and not label your x and y axis on your bar graph? Even..."
Books By Writers Here