Is "gaydar" real? Though scientists dismiss it as being in the same vein as psychics or palm reading, some papers have claimed it is legitimate and that people can make reliable predictions of sexual orientation simply by hearing a voice or seeing a face, without there being an obvious 'tell'.
If it's real, then who has better gaydar, lesbian women or straight, can be just as validly determined.
The expectation is that lesbians will have superior gaydar due to their experience of choosing partners would be more tuned in to others orientation - but that could be a negative filter. Gay people tend to overestimate the prevalence of gay people. A group of scholars conducted a study which set out to reveal who has a greater interpersonal sensitivity.
In-group advantage for accurately judging sexual orientation by judge and target sexual orientation. Credit and link: 10.1080/02699931.2014.890093
The study entailed a mixture of lesbian and straight women watching video clips of a target group of women discussing family relationships and future life. The watchers were asked to rate multiple aspects of the target group; what were they thinking? What emotions they experienced? What type of personality did they have and overall were they gay or straight on a continuous scale of homosexuality? Who was most likely to get Ellen DeGeneres, Portia de Rossi and Ellen Page all correct?
Contrary to expectation, straight judges made more accurate assessments of thoughts and emotions, leading to speculation that lesbians might be easier to read due to non-verbal communication? Lesbians won out in terms of gaydar, they spotted their own orientation more easily and the authors suggest the the prominence of sexuality for lesbians enables a fine-tuned awareness of others sexuality while straight women were instead more interested in thoughts and emotions because the sexuality of other women seems to bear less importance for them.
Citation: Mollie A. Ruben, Krista M. Hill&Judith A. Hall,
How women's sexual orientation guides accuracy of interpersonal judgements of other women,
Cognition & Emotion, DOI: 10.1080/02699931.2014.890093
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Part I: Bee Deaths Mystery Solved? Neonicotinoids (Neonics) May Actually Help Bee Health
- 3X Saturated Fat In The Diet Doesn't Increase It In Blood
- Eosinophilic Esophagitis: Genetic Clues Of Severe Food Allergy
- GMO Labels Are Good For The $105 Billion Organic Industry - But No One Else
- Why Computer Programs Can't Understand Truth - And Ethics Of Artificial Intelligence Babies
- Deep-Earth Carbon Could Have Sparked Origin Of Life On Earth
- Is Religion A Consolation Worth Having?
- "As an earlier cigarette smoker and now e-cig smoker, I can confirm they don't help you quit. As..."
- "Reality? What is reality if you use irrational arguments to justify man's cruelty toward..."
- "Always loved the Heels that showed of the instep (arches) ..."
- "By the way, I am a fan of your blog. It's one of the few places I can follow physics without getting..."
- "Hello Anon,you're entirely right, it's arbitrary and it does not provide protection against cases..."
- Gene in kidney may play role in high blood pressure
- Panel-based genetic diagnostic testing for inherited eye disease proves highly accurate
- Research finds tooth enamel fast-track in humans
- Good news for cocaine users: Caffeine counters cocaine's effects on women's estrus cycles
- Clipping proteins that package genes may limit abnormal cell growth in tumors