Is "gaydar" real? Though scientists dismiss it as being in the same vein as psychics or palm reading, some papers have claimed it is legitimate and that people can make reliable predictions of sexual orientation simply by hearing a voice or seeing a face, without there being an obvious 'tell'.
If it's real, then who has better gaydar, lesbian women or straight, can be just as validly determined.
The expectation is that lesbians will have superior gaydar due to their experience of choosing partners would be more tuned in to others orientation - but that could be a negative filter. Gay people tend to overestimate the prevalence of gay people. A group of scholars conducted a study which set out to reveal who has a greater interpersonal sensitivity.
In-group advantage for accurately judging sexual orientation by judge and target sexual orientation. Credit and link: 10.1080/02699931.2014.890093
The study entailed a mixture of lesbian and straight women watching video clips of a target group of women discussing family relationships and future life. The watchers were asked to rate multiple aspects of the target group; what were they thinking? What emotions they experienced? What type of personality did they have and overall were they gay or straight on a continuous scale of homosexuality? Who was most likely to get Ellen DeGeneres, Portia de Rossi and Ellen Page all correct?
Contrary to expectation, straight judges made more accurate assessments of thoughts and emotions, leading to speculation that lesbians might be easier to read due to non-verbal communication? Lesbians won out in terms of gaydar, they spotted their own orientation more easily and the authors suggest the the prominence of sexuality for lesbians enables a fine-tuned awareness of others sexuality while straight women were instead more interested in thoughts and emotions because the sexuality of other women seems to bear less importance for them.
Citation: Mollie A. Ruben, Krista M. Hill&Judith A. Hall,
How women's sexual orientation guides accuracy of interpersonal judgements of other women,
Cognition & Emotion, DOI: 10.1080/02699931.2014.890093
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Bang !! 13 TeV - The Highest Energy Ever Achieved By Mankind ?!
- Mystery Of Morgellons - Disease Or Delusion - Scientific Hypothesis Of Connection With Lyme Disease
- Highest Energy Collisions ? Not In My Book
- WISE J224607.57-052635.0, The Most Luminous Galaxy In The Universe
- Blue Buffalo Admits Its Pet Food Contains The Poultry Byproduct It Ridicules In Competitors
- Tunable Liquid Metal Antenna Controlled By Voltage
- Tanzania's Disappearing Serengeti
- "I have been suffering for four years. It has been an agonizing, moment by moment of horrors. I..."
- "Thanks, glad to have helped. And wonderful to hear that your symptoms are so much improved :)...."
- "Myth#3A:Australia borders both in the Western Pacific AND the Indian Ocean. We call a typhoon a..."
- "Okay for what she says about BDD, see her paper here: Association of spirochetal infection..."
- "Bovine Digital Dermatitis was connected to morgellons disease because of wart-like and hair-like..."
- Vaccines developed for H5N1, H7N9 avian influenza strains
- European Medicines Agency recommends full approval of ibrutinib to treat Waldenstrom's Macroglobulinemia
- In Northern Ireland, sectarianism has become sextarianism
- RegeneRx Phase II Dry Eye Trial results
- How schizophrenia risk gene DISC1 affects the brain
Books By Writers Here