Synthetic Genomics announceda multi-year research and development agreement with Lung Biotechnology to develop humanized pig organs using synthetic genomic advances. The collaboration will focus upon developing organs for human patients in need of transplantation, with an initial focus on lung diseases.
In the United States alone, about 400,000 people die annually from various forms of lung disease including cancer. 2,000 people are saved with a lung transplant and about the same number are added to the transplant wait list annually. 99% of deaths due to lung failure are unavoidable because of the shortage of transplantable human lungs.
Previous attempts to use animal organs have failed due to genomic incompatibilities, especially with respect to immune and coagulation systems. The collaboration between Synthetic Genomics and Lung Biotechnology aims to eliminate these genomic incompatibilities.
Using DNA design, DNA synthesis and genome editing, as well as genome modification tools,
will develop engineered primary pig cells with modified genomes. This work will entail modification of a substantial number of genes at an unprecedented scale and efficiency. United Therapeutics, parent company of Lung Biotechnology, will leverage its xenotransplantation expertise to implant these engineered cells, generating pig embryos which develop and are born with humanized lungs. The companies are striving to develop these new methods and advances to create organs that are safe and effective for use in humans.
Lung Biotechnology made a $50,000,000 investment in Synthetic Genomics.
"We believe that our proprietary synthetic genomic tools and technologies, coupled with United Therapeutics' knowledge and advances in regenerative medicine technologies and treatment of lung diseases, should enable us to develop humanized pig organs for safe and effective transplant into humans. We believe this is one of the most exciting and important programs ever undertaken in modern medical science," said J. Craig Venter, Ph.D., Founder and CEO, SGI.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- How Marijuana Use Affects People With Bipolar Disorder
- War On Doping And The Hypocritical Treatment Of Lance Armstrong
- Avoid These 3 Risk Factors, Gain 13 Years Of Quality Life
- The New York Times On Drugs - Wrong, Naive Or Misleading?
- Why Are Girls More Likely To Die In Pediatric Intensive Care Units?
- The Borexino Detector And Its Physics Results
- 1840s Shipwreck Leads To Important Beer Science Discovery
- "Actually that's exactly what the bible is all about real Aliens, not religion. So may i have one..."
- "Addiction is completely fake. Their goal is to push more people into 12 Step 'treatment' which..."
- "dave, you are proving to all your profound ignorance and worse you are revelling in it. How sad..."
- "You've touched on something that drives me insane-- the under-medication of dying patients by hospitals..."
- "Tacitus, As you say, “All the twins (one assumes) shared the same environment, but the identical..."
- 7 promising compounds in spider venom with potential to relieve chronic pain
- Antiseptic prevents deaths in newborns
- Cellular sequencing technology provides deeper look at mitochondrial inherited disease risk
- Australian science infrastructure funding is being held hostage by government
- Male images seen by left side of the brain, says study