A new study addresses the relationship between personality and heart attacks.
Distressed (type D) personality (TDP), characterized by high negative affectivity and social inhibition, along with depression, anxiety and other negative affects (such as demoralization, hopelessness, pessimism and rumination) have been implicated as potential risk factors for coronary artery disease. While some evidence suggests that the
Distressed (type D) personality
overlaps at least partially with depression, other studies underline how ‘TDP refers to a chronic, more covert form of distress that is distinct from depression'.
In this study, Authors aimed to clarify whether, among never depressed patients at their first acute coronary syndrome (ACS), there is an overlap between the constructs of TDP and depression, evaluating the stability of
and SI 6 months after the ACS, and their relationship with depressive symptoms.
Patients consecutively admitted to the Coronary Intensive Care Unit of the University Hospital of Parma between January 2009 and March 2012 who had their first ACS and no history of major depression (MD) or other psychiatric disorders, were included.
During the follow-up period 30 patients developed depressive symptoms (MD: n = 12; minor depression (md): n = 18), whereas 220 subjects maintained a non-depressive condition throughout the study period. At baseline the NA and SI levels were higher in subjects who developed depression than in patients who did not. However, at the baseline evaluation 19 patients without previous depressive episodes already satisfied the criteria for md.
Interestingly, at baseline these subjects showed higher levels of NA and SI than subjects without md. Among patients who developed depression (n = 30) HADS scores significantly changed during the 6-month follow-up: both anxiety and depression scores increased from baseline to the second month of follow-up and then decreased.
The same pattern of change was observed for the NA score, whereas the SI score did not vary during follow-up. In non-depressed patients, both HADS depression and anxiety scores and NA score significantly decreased throughout the follow-period, whereas the SI did not change.
In this study, the overlap between depressive psychopathology and NA features is suggested by the course of these two dimensions over time. Indeed, in both depressed and non-depressed patients, NA levels were not stable during the 6-month follow-up, but they changed along with the variation of HADS scores. This finding suggests that the NA dimension is sensitive to mood-state, because its levels increase and decrease according to the fluctuation of severity of depressive and anxious symptoms.
They say this result supports the view that the disposition to experience and report negative emotions (NA) can be sensitive to mood-state. Therefore, the presence of depressive state is crucial when assessing TDP, since NA and anhedonic depression are partially overlapping and co-varying constructs.
Citation: Marchesi C, Ossola P, Scagnelli F, Paglia F, Aprile S, Monici A, Tonna M, Conte G, Masini F, De Panfilis C, Ardissino D. Type D Personality in Never Depressed Patients at Their First Acute Coronary Syndrome. Psychother Psychosom 2014;83:190-191 DOI:10.1159/000358525
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- No, Earth's Magnetic Field Is Not About To Flip
- Our Ethical Responsibilities To Baby Terraformed Worlds - Like Parents
- Supersymmetry Is About To Be Discovered, Kane Says
- Anomaly! - A Different Particle Physics Book
- At The Edge Of Vision: Struggling To Make Sense Of Our Cluttered World
- Like Human Civilization? Thank Our Evil Side
- Patient Deaths Do Not Increase During Doctor Strikes
- "I know. Quite a craze of them. All the ones I've seen are astronomical nonsense. And the photos..."
- "just go on youtube and type nibiru in there are thousands of videos wether they are true or not..."
- "I'd advise to stay clear of Before it's news if you are easily scared by stories like this. It's..."
- "They just do. There have been at least two other doomsday predictions so far this year. Presumably..."
- "The main road tunnel into Heathrow Airport was blocked this morning, by five environmental activists..."