A new study addresses the relationship between personality and heart attacks.
Distressed (type D) personality (TDP), characterized by high negative affectivity and social inhibition, along with depression, anxiety and other negative affects (such as demoralization, hopelessness, pessimism and rumination) have been implicated as potential risk factors for coronary artery disease. While some evidence suggests that the
Distressed (type D) personality
overlaps at least partially with depression, other studies underline how ‘TDP refers to a chronic, more covert form of distress that is distinct from depression'.
In this study, Authors aimed to clarify whether, among never depressed patients at their first acute coronary syndrome (ACS), there is an overlap between the constructs of TDP and depression, evaluating the stability of
and SI 6 months after the ACS, and their relationship with depressive symptoms.
Patients consecutively admitted to the Coronary Intensive Care Unit of the University Hospital of Parma between January 2009 and March 2012 who had their first ACS and no history of major depression (MD) or other psychiatric disorders, were included.
During the follow-up period 30 patients developed depressive symptoms (MD: n = 12; minor depression (md): n = 18), whereas 220 subjects maintained a non-depressive condition throughout the study period. At baseline the NA and SI levels were higher in subjects who developed depression than in patients who did not. However, at the baseline evaluation 19 patients without previous depressive episodes already satisfied the criteria for md.
Interestingly, at baseline these subjects showed higher levels of NA and SI than subjects without md. Among patients who developed depression (n = 30) HADS scores significantly changed during the 6-month follow-up: both anxiety and depression scores increased from baseline to the second month of follow-up and then decreased.
The same pattern of change was observed for the NA score, whereas the SI score did not vary during follow-up. In non-depressed patients, both HADS depression and anxiety scores and NA score significantly decreased throughout the follow-period, whereas the SI did not change.
In this study, the overlap between depressive psychopathology and NA features is suggested by the course of these two dimensions over time. Indeed, in both depressed and non-depressed patients, NA levels were not stable during the 6-month follow-up, but they changed along with the variation of HADS scores. This finding suggests that the NA dimension is sensitive to mood-state, because its levels increase and decrease according to the fluctuation of severity of depressive and anxious symptoms.
They say this result supports the view that the disposition to experience and report negative emotions (NA) can be sensitive to mood-state. Therefore, the presence of depressive state is crucial when assessing TDP, since NA and anhedonic depression are partially overlapping and co-varying constructs.
Citation: Marchesi C, Ossola P, Scagnelli F, Paglia F, Aprile S, Monici A, Tonna M, Conte G, Masini F, De Panfilis C, Ardissino D. Type D Personality in Never Depressed Patients at Their First Acute Coronary Syndrome. Psychother Psychosom 2014;83:190-191 DOI:10.1159/000358525
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- World Did NOT End On 29th July! AWFUL "Silly Season" Story - Journalists Please Be More Responsible
- Why An Extra Planet Can't Be Hidden Behind The Sun Or Above The South Pole
- My Applied National Security Paper. Being President Isn't For Idiots.
- Why Do Consumers Participate In 'green' Programs?
- Hugh Hefner's Wife Was Not Poisoned By Breast Implants
- Mind The (Risk Perception) Gap On BPA
- SYRINA: A Trojan Horse For Endocrine Disrupting Chemicals?
- "hey Alex,yeah ok...."
- "You mean, is it edible?Yes it is. Though the digestibility of the oil has not yet been studied..."
- "Quark colors are considered in the framework of the SM weak interactions for the first time. In..."
- "Yes absolutely. Nobody has predicted any astronomical event successfully from the Bible. And it..."
- "so this vídeo armageddon News is fake???..."
- Tracking how HIV disrupts immune system informs vaccine development
- Green monkeys acquired Staphylococcus aureus from humans
- Researchers find molecular switch that triggers bacterial pathogenicity
- Scientists identify immunological profiles of people who make powerful HIV antibodies
- Breastfeeding associated with better brain development and neurocognitive outcomes