A new study addresses the relationship between personality and heart attacks.
Distressed (type D) personality (TDP), characterized by high negative affectivity and social inhibition, along with depression, anxiety and other negative affects (such as demoralization, hopelessness, pessimism and rumination) have been implicated as potential risk factors for coronary artery disease. While some evidence suggests that the
Distressed (type D) personality
overlaps at least partially with depression, other studies underline how ‘TDP refers to a chronic, more covert form of distress that is distinct from depression'.
In this study, Authors aimed to clarify whether, among never depressed patients at their first acute coronary syndrome (ACS), there is an overlap between the constructs of TDP and depression, evaluating the stability of
and SI 6 months after the ACS, and their relationship with depressive symptoms.
Patients consecutively admitted to the Coronary Intensive Care Unit of the University Hospital of Parma between January 2009 and March 2012 who had their first ACS and no history of major depression (MD) or other psychiatric disorders, were included.
During the follow-up period 30 patients developed depressive symptoms (MD: n = 12; minor depression (md): n = 18), whereas 220 subjects maintained a non-depressive condition throughout the study period. At baseline the NA and SI levels were higher in subjects who developed depression than in patients who did not. However, at the baseline evaluation 19 patients without previous depressive episodes already satisfied the criteria for md.
Interestingly, at baseline these subjects showed higher levels of NA and SI than subjects without md. Among patients who developed depression (n = 30) HADS scores significantly changed during the 6-month follow-up: both anxiety and depression scores increased from baseline to the second month of follow-up and then decreased.
The same pattern of change was observed for the NA score, whereas the SI score did not vary during follow-up. In non-depressed patients, both HADS depression and anxiety scores and NA score significantly decreased throughout the follow-period, whereas the SI did not change.
In this study, the overlap between depressive psychopathology and NA features is suggested by the course of these two dimensions over time. Indeed, in both depressed and non-depressed patients, NA levels were not stable during the 6-month follow-up, but they changed along with the variation of HADS scores. This finding suggests that the NA dimension is sensitive to mood-state, because its levels increase and decrease according to the fluctuation of severity of depressive and anxious symptoms.
They say this result supports the view that the disposition to experience and report negative emotions (NA) can be sensitive to mood-state. Therefore, the presence of depressive state is crucial when assessing TDP, since NA and anhedonic depression are partially overlapping and co-varying constructs.
Citation: Marchesi C, Ossola P, Scagnelli F, Paglia F, Aprile S, Monici A, Tonna M, Conte G, Masini F, De Panfilis C, Ardissino D. Type D Personality in Never Depressed Patients at Their First Acute Coronary Syndrome. Psychother Psychosom 2014;83:190-191 DOI:10.1159/000358525
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Nibiru Internet Hoax "Blood Moon" Video - Kudos To Independent For Straight Debunking Article :).
- Your Microbiome Did Not Cause Your Weight Problem
- A Great Blitz Game
- Anomaly!: Book News And A Clip
- On Sexuality, You Weren't Born That Way, Says Paper
- Beekeeping Fad And The Stress Of Traveling Is Harmful To Bees
- Petition: Let's End Dramatized Reporting Of "Doomsday" Stories - The Vulnerable Get Suicidal
- "To Robert Walker http://poleshift.ning.com/profiles/blogs/nibiru-daily-on-webcam?xg_source=activity..."
- "As someone with GAD, Depression and OCD, it's difficult to go about my days without worrying about..."
- "Well, you know. I saw a comment on these 'preppers'/doomsday fanatics' video and there was a comment..."
- "Yes, there's nothing at all, and the idea doesn't make sense astronomically. Astronomers are fed..."
- "So is there honestly anything to worry about mr walker its just im quite new to all of this so..."
- Latest IARC Report Connects Fatness with More Cancers
- Fact Checking Mylan Claims They Raised The EpiPen Price Because of Improvements
- I’ve Had More Exposure To Agent Orange Than Anyone: Here’s What I Know
- Brussels – a Final Destination for Medical Care
- Organic Farms Yield 20% Fewer Crops than Conventional Farms
- Funding Scientific Research In A Scientific Way
- Mapping pluripotency differences between mice, monkeys, and humans
- Smokers with newly discovered genetic markers have higher lung cancer risk
- Key substance for treatment of visceral leishmaniasis identified
- High-tech alternative to brain surgery proves effective for most common movement disorder
- Fateful evolution: New study improves accuracy of cancer diagnosis