When UK Child-Mortality-Rates (CMR) for children aged 0-14 were compared with 20 other Western countries between 1979-2010, it revealed a "scandal",
Countries such as Austria, Germany, Greece, Italy, Portugal and Spain had child death rates higher in 1979 than the UK’s but are now all substantially lower. If the UK had the same average rate of the 17 countries with lower CMR, then there would have been 1,827 fewer child deaths in 2010.
Professor Colin Pritchard of Bournemouth University, who led the research, said, "The poverty aspect is a matter of shame, as the five countries with the highest CMR also have the worst income inequality, including the UK, whilst the four countries with the lowest child deaths have the least poverty. Scandal is not usually a term used by academics but this study should be a wake-up call for society as the excess in British child mortality is an indictment of one of the richest but most unequal countries in the world."
By that, Pritchard means the UK has the joint lowest funded health care provision by percentage of GDP in the Western world and the third worst income inequality. Health care funding will come as a surprise to some progressives in America, who routinely insist that the USA should adopt the UK's NHS system.
Over the period studied, Britain's NHS was the third joint lowest funded health service in terms of percentage of GDP spent. Greece, Italy, Portugal spend proportionately more of their wealth on health and have lower deaths than the UK.
Pritchard added that the funding is the issue, not the doctors themselves - much like America, where critics are quick to note that people from all over the world may fly to America for the best treatment, they don't come for the health care, “In terms of cost-effectiveness in reducing deaths, the NHS was the 8th best so you cannot blame the NHS, who achieve more with relatively less.”
Citation: Pritchard C & Wallace MS (2014) Comparing UK and Other Western countries Health Expenditure, Poverty and Child Mortality: Are British children doubly disadvantaged?, Children & Society, doi:10:1111/ CHSO12079
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Kudos To "The Independent" Newspaper For Debunking Nibiru "Blood Moon" Hoax
- Climate Change Has Less Impact On Drought Than Previously Expected
- Dogs Understand Both Vocabulary And Intonation Of Human Speech
- Your Microbiome Did Not Cause Your Weight Problem
- Fewer Cardiovascular Drugs Being Studied In Clinical Trials
- State Of Academic Freedom 2016
- USDA Microbiologist Warns Bacteria In Vaping Products May Be A Health Concern
- "Yes it is interesting. Actually planet 9 would be as big as Neptune if it exists, several times..."
- "Apparently planet 9 exists. Not Nobiru but another dwarf planet. This planet could destroy a couple..."
- "Thank you. You know, I am of the firm belief that if a blog has a title that includes Science in..."
- "Firstly, I want to inform everyone apart from Kaylee that the following doesn't apply to the topic..."
- "Hello again Robert, Once again, thank you for your informative reply. It's wonderful to still find..."
- <a href="/news/2016/08/30/how-do-herpes-drugs-work-9941">How Do Herpes Drugs Work? <i class="fa fa-angle-double-right"></i></a>
- <a href="/news/2016/08/30/school-meals-eat-tu-principals-9938">School meals - Eat tu Principals? <i class="fa fa-angle-double-right"></i></a>
- <a href="/annual-reports">Annual Reports <i class="fa fa-angle-double-right"></i></a>
- <a href="/news/2016/08/30/some-sugars-help-babies-thrive-9934">Some Sugars Help Babies Thrive <i class="fa fa-angle-double-right"></i></a>
- <a href="/news/2016/08/30/concussion-recovery-time-cut-half-when-athletes-immediately-sit-9933">Concussion Recovery Time Cut in Half When Athletes Immediately Sit <i class="fa fa-angle-double-right"></i></a>
- <a href="/news/2016/08/29/icymi-acshs-most-popular-articles-summer-9931">ICYMI: ACSH's Most Popular Articles of the Summer <i class="fa fa-angle-double-right"></i></a>
- Progress in refining the genetic causes of schizophrenia
- Researchers discover machines can learn by simply observing
- Technique could assess historic changes to Antarctic sea ice and glaciers
- Factors associated with improvement in survival following heart attack
- System may help treat rare genetic disorder, reduce severe side effects