Everything you do changes your brain, even reading this sentence. A psychologist from the University of Hertfordshire believes that clothing impacts the way we think and literally changes our brains.
We know some of this to be true; everyone has a favorite outfit they look good in and that makes them feel more confident. Professor Pine's data consists of things like asking psycology students to put on a Superman t-shirt. They declared it made them have better impressions of themselves and that they felt physically stronger. To most people, that says psychology undergraduates are as mentally developed as four-year-olds but to Pine it became a book, Mind What You Wear: The Psychology of Fashion.
Don't believe it? You must be wearing a plain t-shirt rather than a Superman one.
These clothing anecdotes as evidence are the basis for conclusions about how mental processes and perceptions can be primed by clothing, as they internalize the symbolic meaning of their outer layers.
Example: An anecdote about how young women who were given a math test performed worse when wearing a swimsuit than when wearing a sweater and that putting on a white coat improved people’s mental agility - the psychology students felt like a doctor or an actual scientist.
Yay, I am in clothes. I can do math again! Thanks, psychology. Credit: store. vajazzling.com
Pine previously declared that women are more likely to wear jeans when they are depressed and now says that when women are stressed they wear less of their wardrobe, neglecting 90% of it, they hone in on those claims that make feel confident and care less about being attractive.
Pine concludes, “As well as scientific research, my book also contains tips on how to feel happier and more confident with the right clothes, explaining not only that we are what we wear, but that we become what we wear.”
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Lexus Hoverboard Gets Off The Ground
- Paving Way for Mars Colonization
- Collinsium Ciliosum: New Species Of ‘Super-Armored’ Worm Discovered
- What Gets Credit For Smoking Declines? Big Pharma And Taxes, Says UCSF Paper
- I Don't Use The Term 'Miracle' Very Often, But...
- Asteroid Day Today, 30th June - Let's Find These Rocks And Deflect Them
- "although physically impossible -- You write as if you had never heard of psychology and psychological..."
- "There is no such thing as a 1964 Ford Pinto. I thought you'd like to know. :)..."
- "The author makes a good point the final comment. How can anyone say E-Cigarettes are more appealing..."
- "In my Mathematics History studies, I came across this wonderful episode.I also have read Frenkel’s..."
- "The video I saw from LEXUS Hoverboad ramp shows the board floating and inch above the ground not..."