Everything you do changes your brain, even reading this sentence. A psychologist from the University of Hertfordshire believes that clothing impacts the way we think and literally changes our brains.
We know some of this to be true; everyone has a favorite outfit they look good in and that makes them feel more confident. Professor Pine's data consists of things like asking psycology students to put on a Superman t-shirt. They declared it made them have better impressions of themselves and that they felt physically stronger. To most people, that says psychology undergraduates are as mentally developed as four-year-olds but to Pine it became a book, Mind What You Wear: The Psychology of Fashion.
Don't believe it? You must be wearing a plain t-shirt rather than a Superman one.
These clothing anecdotes as evidence are the basis for conclusions about how mental processes and perceptions can be primed by clothing, as they internalize the symbolic meaning of their outer layers.
Example: An anecdote about how young women who were given a math test performed worse when wearing a swimsuit than when wearing a sweater and that putting on a white coat improved people’s mental agility - the psychology students felt like a doctor or an actual scientist.
Yay, I am in clothes. I can do math again! Thanks, psychology. Credit: store. vajazzling.com
Pine previously declared that women are more likely to wear jeans when they are depressed and now says that when women are stressed they wear less of their wardrobe, neglecting 90% of it, they hone in on those claims that make feel confident and care less about being attractive.
Pine concludes, “As well as scientific research, my book also contains tips on how to feel happier and more confident with the right clothes, explaining not only that we are what we wear, but that we become what we wear.”
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- World Did NOT End On 29th July! AWFUL "Silly Season" Story - Journalists Please Be More Responsible
- Why An Extra Planet Can't Be Hidden Behind The Sun Or Above The South Pole
- My Applied National Security Paper. Being President Isn't For Idiots.
- Why Do Consumers Participate In 'green' Programs?
- Hugh Hefner's Wife Was Not Poisoned By Breast Implants
- Mind The (Risk Perception) Gap On BPA
- SYRINA: A Trojan Horse For Endocrine Disrupting Chemicals?
- "hey Alex,yeah ok...."
- "You mean, is it edible?Yes it is. Though the digestibility of the oil has not yet been studied..."
- "Quark colors are considered in the framework of the SM weak interactions for the first time. In..."
- "Yes absolutely. Nobody has predicted any astronomical event successfully from the Bible. And it..."
- "so this vídeo armageddon News is fake???..."
- Tracking how HIV disrupts immune system informs vaccine development
- Green monkeys acquired Staphylococcus aureus from humans
- Researchers find molecular switch that triggers bacterial pathogenicity
- Scientists identify immunological profiles of people who make powerful HIV antibodies
- Breastfeeding associated with better brain development and neurocognitive outcomes