Everything you do changes your brain, even reading this sentence. A psychologist from the University of Hertfordshire believes that clothing impacts the way we think and literally changes our brains.
We know some of this to be true; everyone has a favorite outfit they look good in and that makes them feel more confident. Professor Pine's data consists of things like asking psycology students to put on a Superman t-shirt. They declared it made them have better impressions of themselves and that they felt physically stronger. To most people, that says psychology undergraduates are as mentally developed as four-year-olds but to Pine it became a book, Mind What You Wear: The Psychology of Fashion.
Don't believe it? You must be wearing a plain t-shirt rather than a Superman one.
These clothing anecdotes as evidence are the basis for conclusions about how mental processes and perceptions can be primed by clothing, as they internalize the symbolic meaning of their outer layers.
Example: An anecdote about how young women who were given a math test performed worse when wearing a swimsuit than when wearing a sweater and that putting on a white coat improved people’s mental agility - the psychology students felt like a doctor or an actual scientist.
Yay, I am in clothes. I can do math again! Thanks, psychology. Credit: store. vajazzling.com
Pine previously declared that women are more likely to wear jeans when they are depressed and now says that when women are stressed they wear less of their wardrobe, neglecting 90% of it, they hone in on those claims that make feel confident and care less about being attractive.
Pine concludes, “As well as scientific research, my book also contains tips on how to feel happier and more confident with the right clothes, explaining not only that we are what we wear, but that we become what we wear.”
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- The Five Stages Of A Dying Theory
- Should Pregnant Women Be Concerned About BPA?
- Russian scientists increase DVD storage capacity million times
- President Elect Trump - Why Climate Change Is No Longer A Political Issue Outside The US
- Australopithecus Afarensis: ‘Lucy’ Was A Tree Climber?
- Neanderthals: Not So Dumb
- Vector Boson Scattering: ATLAS Tests SM Unitarity
- "About the article on theLADbible, the author have an overall sarcastic tone. For example, he calls..."
- "What about these new trumpet sounds that everyone is hearing?..."
- "There is nothing to worry about. It is all complete nonsense and BS. An astronomer would just LOL..."
- "So there really is nothing to worry about then i don't want to be told there isn't if there is..."
- "It is true that we can't see things that are close to the sun easily. We can sometimes though...."
- Annoying Studies’ Series: Newborn Weight Gain (Again!)
- Five PM? Time for Breakfast!
- Include Aerobic Fitness in Physical Exams, Heart Association Recommends
- Female Vervet Monkeys Assault Males that Do Not Participate in Fights
- Vaginal Ring Effective for HIV Infection Prevention
- Winter is No Wonderland