Everything you do changes your brain, even reading this sentence. A psychologist from the University of Hertfordshire believes that clothing impacts the way we think and literally changes our brains.
We know some of this to be true; everyone has a favorite outfit they look good in and that makes them feel more confident. Professor Pine's data consists of things like asking psycology students to put on a Superman t-shirt. They declared it made them have better impressions of themselves and that they felt physically stronger. To most people, that says psychology undergraduates are as mentally developed as four-year-olds but to Pine it became a book, Mind What You Wear: The Psychology of Fashion.
Don't believe it? You must be wearing a plain t-shirt rather than a Superman one.
These clothing anecdotes as evidence are the basis for conclusions about how mental processes and perceptions can be primed by clothing, as they internalize the symbolic meaning of their outer layers.
Example: An anecdote about how young women who were given a math test performed worse when wearing a swimsuit than when wearing a sweater and that putting on a white coat improved people’s mental agility - the psychology students felt like a doctor or an actual scientist.
Yay, I am in clothes. I can do math again! Thanks, psychology. Credit: store. vajazzling.com
Pine previously declared that women are more likely to wear jeans when they are depressed and now says that when women are stressed they wear less of their wardrobe, neglecting 90% of it, they hone in on those claims that make feel confident and care less about being attractive.
Pine concludes, “As well as scientific research, my book also contains tips on how to feel happier and more confident with the right clothes, explaining not only that we are what we wear, but that we become what we wear.”
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Bang !! 13 TeV - The Highest Energy Ever Achieved By Mankind ?!
- Mystery Of Morgellons - Disease Or Delusion - Scientific Hypothesis Of Connection With Lyme Disease
- Highest Energy Collisions ? Not In My Book
- WISE J224607.57-052635.0, The Most Luminous Galaxy In The Universe
- Blue Buffalo Admits Its Pet Food Contains The Poultry Byproduct It Ridicules In Competitors
- Tanzania's Disappearing Serengeti
- Tunable Liquid Metal Antenna Controlled By Voltage
- "Thanks, glad to have helped. And wonderful to hear that your symptoms are so much improved :)...."
- "Myth#3A:Australia borders both in the Western Pacific AND the Indian Ocean. We call a typhoon a..."
- "Okay for what she says about BDD, see her paper here: Association of spirochetal infection..."
- "Bovine Digital Dermatitis was connected to morgellons disease because of wart-like and hair-like..."
- "FINALLY, a supportive article that reviews the facts and is not afraid to put it out in a positive..."
- Vaccines developed for H5N1, H7N9 avian influenza strains
- European Medicines Agency recommends full approval of ibrutinib to treat Waldenstrom's Macroglobulinemia
- In Northern Ireland, sectarianism has become sextarianism
- RegeneRx Phase II Dry Eye Trial results
- How schizophrenia risk gene DISC1 affects the brain