That is what Hamza Kashgari, a 23 years old reporter and poet from Saudi Arabia, is realizing the hard way. He used twitter to write a poetic "dialogue" with prophet Muhammad, and this was enough to get him condemned to death by the salafi sheikhs. Hamza tried to escape, but was arrested in Malaysia. He now risks beheading for his words.
I am both disgusted by the fact that still, in the 21st century, somebody can decide on your life or death because of what you say and write, and relieved that I was born in a place where these things do not happen. And I am brought to smile at my own occasional troubles with the things I write in this blog - which is not read by salafits, but by colleagues who still may be unhappy about my self-given freedom of speech (I should add that in some cases they are right and I am wrong, but let's abandon the topic).
I guess the memo is that we should always cherish and hold dear our freedom of speech, because it is not god-given (as Kashgari's case shows). Should he have self-censored his tweets ? In retrospect, he would have certainly been well advised to do so. But that means one has already lost the fight.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Corals: Not So Passive, They Are Nature's Tiny Engineers
- Neil Tyson On The Politics Of Science Denial
- Global 'Roadmap' Shows Where To Put Roads Without Costing The Earth
- Mutating Ebola Viruses Not As Scary As Evolving Ones
- Raloxifene: X-Ray Scattering Reveals A New Mode Of Action For Osteoporosis Drug
- Low Carb Vs. Low Fat Diets: Which Is Better?
- Synaptic Plasticity And Memory In Silent Neurons
- "You're right, people are too variable to say for sure but a large enough sample can inform how..."
- "Not taking a position on potential bias/non-bias, I find it difficult to believe that ANY simulation..."
- "I think science media, especially the bloggers have become more cynical with age. I should..."
- "Well ranted. Why is it that we can't have the more efficient, better-mileage, diesels that Europeans..."
- "You might be misunderstanding what 'data' are. You ignored 50 articles, including ones in the Related..."