That is what Hamza Kashgari, a 23 years old reporter and poet from Saudi Arabia, is realizing the hard way. He used twitter to write a poetic "dialogue" with prophet Muhammad, and this was enough to get him condemned to death by the salafi sheikhs. Hamza tried to escape, but was arrested in Malaysia. He now risks beheading for his words.
I am both disgusted by the fact that still, in the 21st century, somebody can decide on your life or death because of what you say and write, and relieved that I was born in a place where these things do not happen. And I am brought to smile at my own occasional troubles with the things I write in this blog - which is not read by salafits, but by colleagues who still may be unhappy about my self-given freedom of speech (I should add that in some cases they are right and I am wrong, but let's abandon the topic).
I guess the memo is that we should always cherish and hold dear our freedom of speech, because it is not god-given (as Kashgari's case shows). Should he have self-censored his tweets ? In retrospect, he would have certainly been well advised to do so. But that means one has already lost the fight.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- A Vegetarian Carnivorous Plant...Wait, What?
- Family Holiday Survival: 12 Ways To Deal With That Climate Change Denier
- Wave-Particle Duality' And Quantum Uncertainty - Two Sides Of The Same Mystery?
- Enlightenment Finding Eternity In The Now
- Challenges for Orion and SLS: An Interview with GAO Director
- How Does Prostate Cancer Happen?
- Guest Post: Ben Allanach, On Open Access
- "Thanks for an entertaining read and some new strategies. Playing with deniers and truthers is my..."
- "Track your Readings, Food Intake, Medications for better perspective of your diabetic condition..."
- "Herne, the Christian Bible and science harmonize, actually. ..."
- "Another 'herbs cure cancer' spammer. Obat Kanker Usus Alami (not verified) linked web page..."
- "Poe, Godwin, and now gish-gallop.Step 1 - Read Arrhenius On the Influence of Carbonic Acid in the..."
- Radiologist recommendations for chest CT have high clinical yield
- Bone loss drugs may help prevent endometrial cancer
- Consumer purchases of cakes, cookies and pies have decreased by 24 percent
- IMF lending undermined healthcare provision in Ebola-stricken West Africa
- Orphan receptor proteins deliver double whammy to glioblastoma cells
Books By Writers Here
About Us |