That is what Hamza Kashgari, a 23 years old reporter and poet from Saudi Arabia, is realizing the hard way. He used twitter to write a poetic "dialogue" with prophet Muhammad, and this was enough to get him condemned to death by the salafi sheikhs. Hamza tried to escape, but was arrested in Malaysia. He now risks beheading for his words.
I am both disgusted by the fact that still, in the 21st century, somebody can decide on your life or death because of what you say and write, and relieved that I was born in a place where these things do not happen. And I am brought to smile at my own occasional troubles with the things I write in this blog - which is not read by salafits, but by colleagues who still may be unhappy about my self-given freedom of speech (I should add that in some cases they are right and I am wrong, but let's abandon the topic).
I guess the memo is that we should always cherish and hold dear our freedom of speech, because it is not god-given (as Kashgari's case shows). Should he have self-censored his tweets ? In retrospect, he would have certainly been well advised to do so. But that means one has already lost the fight.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Parton Distribution Functions For Run 2 At The LHC
- Why Men Don't Live As Long As Women
- True Weight Loss Is Rare
- New GHOST Technology Leaps Out Of The Screen
- Non-Verbal Smell Test May Be Indicator Of Autism
- Toward A Universal Flu Vaccine
- Genetic Testing In Kids - The Science Isn't Complicated But The Psychology Is
- "I frequently hear that people with weight issues are simply deluding themselves, that they're not..."
- "Point taken. My interpretations may be overstated and exaggerated to make what I think is..."
- "Hi,yes, we will have a few opening up in that period: one in Clermont-Ferrand, one in Athens. A..."
- "Okay, you gave yes to many questions (even the disagreement in 5, was not a real disagreement as..."
- "Hi, I currently finished my 3rd year of MSci in the UK, and am planning to start a PhD in Fall..."