That is what Hamza Kashgari, a 23 years old reporter and poet from Saudi Arabia, is realizing the hard way. He used twitter to write a poetic "dialogue" with prophet Muhammad, and this was enough to get him condemned to death by the salafi sheikhs. Hamza tried to escape, but was arrested in Malaysia. He now risks beheading for his words.
I am both disgusted by the fact that still, in the 21st century, somebody can decide on your life or death because of what you say and write, and relieved that I was born in a place where these things do not happen. And I am brought to smile at my own occasional troubles with the things I write in this blog - which is not read by salafits, but by colleagues who still may be unhappy about my self-given freedom of speech (I should add that in some cases they are right and I am wrong, but let's abandon the topic).
I guess the memo is that we should always cherish and hold dear our freedom of speech, because it is not god-given (as Kashgari's case shows). Should he have self-censored his tweets ? In retrospect, he would have certainly been well advised to do so. But that means one has already lost the fight.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Supersymmetry Is About To Be Discovered, Kane Says
- "Imaginary Bullshit Planet" Nibiru - Lens Flares, Sun Mirages, Hoaxes & Just Plain Silly
- No, Earth's Magnetic Field Is Not About To Flip
- New Open-access Data On Paleofloods
- 140 dead in Paris. Distance from South Korea to New York shrinks by 5,000 miles.
- Study Shows Men Attracted to Transgender Women are NOT Gay. DUH!
- Anomaly! - A Different Particle Physics Book
- "so u are sure that there is nothing there and nothing is going to kill us in December or even next..."
- "For all folks who regularly read this column:I have just come across this:Physicists Are Desperate..."
- "When it really comes down to it Robert, we either make it as a civilization or don't. We either..."
- "Erinaceus Europaeus,I'm am conflicted about thoughts such as: while this extreme social event can't..."
- "Thank you for giving us a clearer understanding on where we stand with a magnetic field flip.Alex..."
- Cookin’ Your Bird, The Science Way
- Should the new hep C drugs be used sooner?
- Bilingual patients have better cognitive function post-stroke
- Caveat Comestor: New Yorker Cites ACSH On Cranberry Scare Of ’59
- Does Holiday Feasting Affect Obesity Rates?
- Apple Pie, Mashed Potatoes and Natural Formaldehyde
- Breast MRI after mammography may identify additional aggressive cancers
- Breast cancer clinic attributes increased uptake of double mastectomies to Angelina Jolie effect
- Exploring the physics of a chocolate fountain
- Researchers urge caution in prescribing commonly used drug to treat ADHD
- Stretch the new flex for programmable rubber keyboard