Yeah, so, they might be a little light on the mechanistic side (i.e., their concept of mutation is a bit Fantastic Four-y), but I've got to give props to nocc design studio for their new collection "radiation" for both generating a chair that I would like to own and drawing inspiration from evolution.
The basic concept of the collection was to imagine the versions of archetypal furniture that might occur if the furniture's "genes" were mutated.
The real beauty is that in their imaginings they developed many variants and THEN considered whether the variants were beneficial or deleterious. Like variation in nature, most variants were deleterious (i.e., they came up with some really uncomfortable looking chairs.
While some artists and designers try to capitalize on niche markets by making a nod to science and nature, nocco has embraced evolution in an intelligent and artistic way. Not only does evolution benefit from their aesthetic representation, but their design benefits from an understanding of science and by embracing the way our world actually works.
The next time someone tells you that science takes the beauty out of the world, you just show them the "hypertrophy chair".
*Hat tip to Designboom.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Part I: Bee Deaths Mystery Solved? Neonicotinoids (Neonics) May Actually Help Bee Health
- Chronic Pain Isn't All In The Brain
- Smoking, Drinking And Eating: It's Not About Your Freedom
- Part II: Bee Deaths And CCD - Flawed Chensheng Lu Harvard Studies Endanger Bees
- Violence, Sex And Taboo: The Original Brothers Grimm Fairy Tales Back In Print
- On integrating out short-distance physics
- Like Collaboration And Intelligence In Humans? Thank War
- "There is no question they were created to cater to universities and are staffed by people from..."
- "And my second link should be not a copy of the first, but this: http://www.nature.com/news/half..."
- "Recently I saw The Conversation remove/censor legitimate comments arguing against an article written..."
- tags because there's no testing..." href="/robert_inventor/why_we_cant_backup_earth_on_mars_the_moon_or_anywhere_else_in_our_solar_system-148364#comment-182183">"Robert, you might want to reformat my post. I intended to highlight only the headlines for easy..."
- "My only complaint with good thinkers and writers has hither always been that they should produce..."
- Secret of tetanus toxicity offers new way to treat motor neuron disease
- Using social media for behavioral studies is cheap, fast, but fraught with biases
- A numbers game: Math helps to predict how the body fights disease
- Education is key to climate adaptation
- Routine imaging screening of diabetic patients for heart disease not effective