Yeah, so, they might be a little light on the mechanistic side (i.e., their concept of mutation is a bit Fantastic Four-y), but I've got to give props to nocc design studio for their new collection "radiation" for both generating a chair that I would like to own and drawing inspiration from evolution.
The basic concept of the collection was to imagine the versions of archetypal furniture that might occur if the furniture's "genes" were mutated.
The real beauty is that in their imaginings they developed many variants and THEN considered whether the variants were beneficial or deleterious. Like variation in nature, most variants were deleterious (i.e., they came up with some really uncomfortable looking chairs.
While some artists and designers try to capitalize on niche markets by making a nod to science and nature, nocco has embraced evolution in an intelligent and artistic way. Not only does evolution benefit from their aesthetic representation, but their design benefits from an understanding of science and by embracing the way our world actually works.
The next time someone tells you that science takes the beauty out of the world, you just show them the "hypertrophy chair".
*Hat tip to Designboom.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Why An Extra Planet Can't Be Hidden Behind The Sun Or Above The South Pole
- The Daily Physics Problem - 2
- The Daily Physics Problem - 1
- The Daily Physics Problem - 3
- Avoid Showing The Jacksonville Jaguars And Other Ways To Optimize Monday Night Football
- Why Do Consumers Participate In 'green' Programs?
- Curcumin And Silymarin Plant Compounds Give '1-2' Punch To Colon Cancer
- "One needs to remember some numbers by heart...Cheers,T...."
- "I get the point of all this but am curious, at what point in practice would an experimentalist..."
- "Are you referring to Mike Brown's new Planet X idea, usually called Planet 9 (though I think that's..."
- "You sir should be ashamed, for acting like you know anything, and trying to scare people with nonsense..."
- "No, you're a towel..."
- WSU researchers get unprecedented look at DNA damage
- Before animals, evolution waited eons to inhale
- US police killed or injured more than 55,000 people during 'legal interventions' in 2012
- Statins improve birth outcomes for mothers with an autoimmune disorder
- Changes in teenage brain structure provide clues to onset of mental health problems