Yeah, so, they might be a little light on the mechanistic side (i.e., their concept of mutation is a bit Fantastic Four-y), but I've got to give props to nocc design studio for their new collection "radiation" for both generating a chair that I would like to own and drawing inspiration from evolution.
The basic concept of the collection was to imagine the versions of archetypal furniture that might occur if the furniture's "genes" were mutated.
The real beauty is that in their imaginings they developed many variants and THEN considered whether the variants were beneficial or deleterious. Like variation in nature, most variants were deleterious (i.e., they came up with some really uncomfortable looking chairs.
While some artists and designers try to capitalize on niche markets by making a nod to science and nature, nocco has embraced evolution in an intelligent and artistic way. Not only does evolution benefit from their aesthetic representation, but their design benefits from an understanding of science and by embracing the way our world actually works.
The next time someone tells you that science takes the beauty out of the world, you just show them the "hypertrophy chair".
*Hat tip to Designboom.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Double Mastectomy: 'Angelina Effect' Has Been Long-lasting
- Hurricane Polo
- M60-UCD1: Tiny Galaxy, Supermassive Black Hole
- The Wealth Under Afghanistan
- Mysterious 1808 Eruption - The Real Cause Of The Coldest Decade Of The Last 500 Years
- 'Sleep Node' In The Brain Discovered
- Fracking Blamed For Too Many Hotel Rooms
- "According to Wikipedia:So that theory is no longer in town? I had imagined a great voice..."
- "You can find the slides on the indico page of the event: https://indico.cern.ch/event/328735/overview..."
- "Now, now, boys. I attempted to be politically neutral in this column. Even if I didn't totally..."
- "Aether has mass. Aether physically occupies three dimensional space. Aether is physically displaced..."
- "Really, since dark matter is not supposed to interact with normal matter, except gravitationally..."
- Monster galaxies gain weight by eating smaller neighbors
- The 'Angelina Effect' was not only immediate, but also long-lasting
- Experts issue plea for better research and education for advanced breast cancer
- Gun deaths twice as high among African-Americans as white citizens in US
- Cooling of dialysis fluids protects against brain damage