Yeah, so, they might be a little light on the mechanistic side (i.e., their concept of mutation is a bit Fantastic Four-y), but I've got to give props to nocc design studio for their new collection "radiation" for both generating a chair that I would like to own and drawing inspiration from evolution.
The basic concept of the collection was to imagine the versions of archetypal furniture that might occur if the furniture's "genes" were mutated.
The real beauty is that in their imaginings they developed many variants and THEN considered whether the variants were beneficial or deleterious. Like variation in nature, most variants were deleterious (i.e., they came up with some really uncomfortable looking chairs.
While some artists and designers try to capitalize on niche markets by making a nod to science and nature, nocco has embraced evolution in an intelligent and artistic way. Not only does evolution benefit from their aesthetic representation, but their design benefits from an understanding of science and by embracing the way our world actually works.
The next time someone tells you that science takes the beauty out of the world, you just show them the "hypertrophy chair".
*Hat tip to Designboom.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Parton Distribution Functions For Run 2 At The LHC
- True Weight Loss Is Rare
- Non-Verbal Smell Test May Be Indicator Of Autism
- New GHOST Technology Leaps Out Of The Screen
- Toward A Universal Flu Vaccine
- Lexus Hoverboard Gets Off The Ground
- Genetic Testing In Kids - The Science Isn't Complicated But The Psychology Is
- "I frequently hear that people with weight issues are simply deluding themselves, that they're not..."
- "Point taken. My interpretations may be overstated and exaggerated to make what I think is..."
- "Hi,yes, we will have a few opening up in that period: one in Clermont-Ferrand, one in Athens. A..."
- "Okay, you gave yes to many questions (even the disagreement in 5, was not a real disagreement as..."
- "Hi, I currently finished my 3rd year of MSci in the UK, and am planning to start a PhD in Fall..."
Books By Writers Here