The International Year of Astronomy has inspired many interesting projects. Perhaps none are as visually compelling as Experience the Planets. This growing site presents artists renditions of what it would look like to see our neighbors in the solar system up close and personal. And, yes, for those of you who do not have pictures as cute as The Frogger being buzzed by a hippopotamus on your computer, there are wallpapers available.
The image below (Waters of Europa by Josef Barton) shows an artist's rendition of what it might be like to explore the oceans beneath the icy crust of Jupiter's moon Europa in a submersible vehicle.
*Hat tip to Phil Plait at Bad Astronomy.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- An Easy Problem
- Nobel Prize Validates Chinese Medicine? Nope.
- Thank You Guido
- Nobel Prize To Neutrino Oscillations
- Coincidence Or Conspiracy? Investigating If Believers Really See So Much Secret Design
- Prenatal BPA Exposures (Don’t) Affect Birth Weight
- Mother Jones Hates Scientists - And Their Bias Shows
- "Ah yes, Mother Jones where they don't hire anyone that believes GMOs aren't harmful to people and..."
- "Caucasians love to blame guns instead of the harsh realities of life in America that lead people..."
- "Dr. Henson used the identical term: So is this Nobel Prize for Tu’s discovery a signal that..."
- "I am making a stink because the story that is being circulated is inaccurate and misleading. ..."
- "Tu Youyou got her inspiration from people in the malaria regions using qing hao (artemisia annua)..."
- Why Is Mother Jones So Afraid Of Science? And Journalism?
- Weight-Loss Surgery Improves Health of Some Diabetics
- Ben Carson Bungles Again, Treating Cancer with Supplements
- No Vax, No School: US Supreme Court Backs NY State
- Remaking the Peanut to Make Schools Safer
- Ancient Chinese Medicine Not Magical, Nobel Prize or Not