The International Year of Astronomy has inspired many interesting projects. Perhaps none are as visually compelling as Experience the Planets. This growing site presents artists renditions of what it would look like to see our neighbors in the solar system up close and personal. And, yes, for those of you who do not have pictures as cute as The Frogger being buzzed by a hippopotamus on your computer, there are wallpapers available.
The image below (Waters of Europa by Josef Barton) shows an artist's rendition of what it might be like to explore the oceans beneath the icy crust of Jupiter's moon Europa in a submersible vehicle.
*Hat tip to Phil Plait at Bad Astronomy.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Pseudoscience Creeping Into Your Conference? A Case In GMOs And Glyphosate
- My Thoughts On The LIGO-VIRGO Result
- Henri Poincaré Predicted The Existence Of Gravitational Waves As Early As June 5, 1905
- Gravitational Waves? Watch the LIGO press conference at 10:30 Eastern.
- The 10 catastrophic mistakes virtual reality firms are making
- Using Stories To Teach Human Values To Robots
- Beyond Diamonds And Gems: The World's Rarest Minerals
- "First part, point 3: Watching Eurovision in a group is so much more fun, especially when people..."
- "Nice theory. Do you have any links to a papers on in or are you just pulling it out of your nether..."
- "That is disturbing. I remember the cranktivist Jonathan Latham being all over this one health thing..."
- "I remember seeing that session description and letting out out an audible WTF? I couldn't believe..."
- "What you calculated is just the mean time of flight. If you inject a wavepacket into a Fabry-Perot..."
- Beard Microbiology: Grubby Hipsters May Be On To Something
- Water Tops the List of Health Concerns for Competitive Eaters
- Natural Flavors Are More Radioactive Than Artificial Ones.
- Bariatric Surgery Beneficial Even for Older People
- Opiates No Better at Easing Knee Osteoarthritis Pain
- BRCA Tests Increasing for Younger Breast Cancer Patients