A while ago, I warned of the developing geek culture making it cool to be a geek. Technically, I was probably about 5 years late in this warning, but a recent Spike.com article on the girls geeks love and a Wired.com article on how to raise a geek girl confirmed that the geek culture is here and is planning to stay.
*See to maintain any geek street-cred, I have to pretend that this butt slap o' thanks is completely non-platonic because I'm totally smitten with Felicia Day, which I'm not (but that is mainly because in Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog her
character, Penny, totally did it with Captain Hammer, which is gross
despite Captain Hammer being played by Nathan Fillion, whose character
was really cool in the Firefly pilot and pretty cool afterward, cause Fox executives suck), but I am mostly entertained by her professional work and we still like to see some more non-drop-dead gorgeous female stars with talent like you see on British television.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Lichen: Apparently Happy Couple Really A Threesome
- Why An Extra Planet Can't Be Hidden Behind The Sun Or Above The South Pole
- The Daily Physics Problem - 1
- Curcumin And Silymarin Plant Compounds Give '1-2' Punch To Colon Cancer
- The Daily Physics Problem - 2
- Are Think Tanks More Credible To Government Employees? Not Really
- Hugh Hefner's Wife Was Not Poisoned By Breast Implants
- "Okay, just to pick up on one thing. First, the NASA rover are tested in various deserts, and so..."
- "The moon landings was fake actually all the Apollo missions were fear of the cold war and countries..."
- "Its fairly hard to belive one person who says its not real to the thousands of people who say it..."
- "Small correction: her diagnosis of Lyme disease is also highly dubious. There is a growing cult..."
- "No, it's not. Planets can hide behind the sun for half the year, but it's impossible for a planet..."
- Parasite proteins prompt immune system to fight off ovarian tumors in mice
- Behavioral activation as effective as CBT for depression, at lower cost
- The Lancet: Simpler, cheaper psychological treatment as effective as cognitive behavioural therapy for treating depression
- Ultrasensitive sensor using N-doped graphene
- Brain activity and response to food cues differ in severely obese women, UTSW study shows