A while ago, I warned of the developing geek culture making it cool to be a geek. Technically, I was probably about 5 years late in this warning, but a recent Spike.com article on the girls geeks love and a Wired.com article on how to raise a geek girl confirmed that the geek culture is here and is planning to stay.
*See to maintain any geek street-cred, I have to pretend that this butt slap o' thanks is completely non-platonic because I'm totally smitten with Felicia Day, which I'm not (but that is mainly because in Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog her
character, Penny, totally did it with Captain Hammer, which is gross
despite Captain Hammer being played by Nathan Fillion, whose character
was really cool in the Firefly pilot and pretty cool afterward, cause Fox executives suck), but I am mostly entertained by her professional work and we still like to see some more non-drop-dead gorgeous female stars with talent like you see on British television.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Great Earthquakes Doubled In The Most Recent 10 Year Period - What That Means
- What Americans Fear Most Isn't Ebola Or Terrorism, It's...
- Why Climate 'Uncertainty' Is No Excuse For Doing Nothing
- ECFA Workshop: Planning For The High Luminosity LHC
- Moderate Pot Use By Adolescents Doesn't Hurt IQ
- Dams Are Not The Smart Way To Secure Water For Agriculture
- Cosmic Rays Jeopardize Deep-Space Astronaut Missions
- " Actually no, the millions of volts of potential energy is not a magical perpetual motion pipe..."
- "Nah. It's not free for the iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch. Apple products usually don't play nice with..."
- "http://www.cdc.gov/vaccinesafety/vaccines/HPV/index.html says no interesting difference in side..."
- "Tommaso, I fully agree with you that for the moment it would be unwise and unjustified to committ..."
- "Chaos, thanks, I couldn't come up with the word. Well, sure. The article really didn't work to..."
- Beyond universal donors, some poeple are programed with no blood type at all
- Anti-conventional ag movement spurs Big Ag to look to organic pesticides
- Can people really inherit memories?
- An end to fat shaming? The 50 year DNA mystery of metabolic dysfunction may soon be solved
- Egg freezing: a smart career move?
- Women carry fetal DNA long after children’s birth
- Early palliative care can cut hospital readmissions for cancer patients
- Criminologists try to solve murder mystery: Who will become a killer?
- Researchers record sight neurons in jumping spider brain
- Research suggests team-based care is most effective way to control hypertension
- UNC scientists discover hidden subpopulation of melanoma cells