The argument on the side of "enhanced interrogation" techniques tends to come down to the practical: we need them because they work (i.e., they obtain information that could not be obtained in a usable time frame by other methods, which prevents attacks). If the claim is true, that would be a legitimate argument (). There are a number of ways to decided whether an interrogation method, whether enhanced or not, is valid and productive. The Mitch McConnell (R-Ky) method is not one of them. His method? Noting that there have been no major terrorist attacks in the United States since 11 September, 2009. While true, it does not establish a causative relationship between interrogation methods and prevention of terrorist attacks.
This is exactly the same reasoning used in the development of superstitions. I was wearing boxers nor briefs when I got my Western blot to work. Therefore, I always wear boxers when doing Western blots. Or, I wear pants and have never been struck by lightning. Therefore, pants prevent lightning strikes.
Even if you favor using water boarding and the like, don't use McConnell's argument. It just makes you look silly.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- CERN And LIP Openings For Graduate Students In Physics - Good $$$
- Single Top Production At The LHC
- Supersymmetry Is About To Be Discovered, Kane Says
- Dietary Restriction, Circadian Rhythm, And Long Life
- Our Ethical Responsibilities To Baby Terraformed Worlds - Like Parents
- End Racist Sexism At US Universities Now
- Anomaly! - A Different Particle Physics Book
- "Okay, first chemtrails is just a conspiracy theorist's word for contrails. I.e. the trails of condensation..."
- "mr walker I no uve said nibiru is not real but y are people saying its being hidden by chemtrails..."
- "Yes, there is nothing to warn anyone about :). ..."
- "anti-fascists like me and dykes like you OK, I'm now deeply disturbed. I did not think it..."
- "so I don't need to warn my family about nibiru then because nothing is going to happen..."
- Advanced new camera can measure greenhouse gases
- Combination therapy successfully treats hep c in patients with advanced liver disease
- Black women less likely to benefit from early chemotherapy, study shows
- Gender segregation in jobs is not rooted in early family planning
- New study reveals what's behind a tarantula's blue hue