The argument on the side of "enhanced interrogation" techniques tends to come down to the practical: we need them because they work (i.e., they obtain information that could not be obtained in a usable time frame by other methods, which prevents attacks). If the claim is true, that would be a legitimate argument (). There are a number of ways to decided whether an interrogation method, whether enhanced or not, is valid and productive. The Mitch McConnell (R-Ky) method is not one of them. His method? Noting that there have been no major terrorist attacks in the United States since 11 September, 2009. While true, it does not establish a causative relationship between interrogation methods and prevention of terrorist attacks.
This is exactly the same reasoning used in the development of superstitions. I was wearing boxers nor briefs when I got my Western blot to work. Therefore, I always wear boxers when doing Western blots. Or, I wear pants and have never been struck by lightning. Therefore, pants prevent lightning strikes.
Even if you favor using water boarding and the like, don't use McConnell's argument. It just makes you look silly.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Is The X(5568) A True Resonance ?
- How We Predict Climate For Decades - Yet Can't Forecast Weather For Ten Days - Chaos Patterned With Order
- Should Pregnant Women Be Concerned About BPA?
- The Five Stages Of A Dying Theory
- Why Science is Worth Studying.
- Neanderthals: Not So Dumb
- Jena's Roots In The Tree Of Life
- "So do i need to be worried or not do i need to warn anybody or not like tell my family and friends..."
- "Dawn, sorry to hear that you are freaking out about this. I've written up my answer to you as Debunked..."
- "aargh! I forgot you mentioned this promotion....let's see! Thanks...."
- "Hi,I know, the price is steep - not my choice unfortunately, WS has this kind of policy... But..."
- "Whats the story about wormwood mr walker apparently this is in the Bible and so many are claiming..."
- CSPI Demands US Government Put Cancer Warning Label On...Bacon
- Opioid Malfeasance At The CDC- Guess Who Is Getting Hurt?
- Dreading a Colonoscopy? There is More Than One Way to Save Your Behind
- Junk Science, Voodoo Medicine, And A List We're Glad Not To Be On
- At High Altitude with Buzz Aldrin
- Hand Sanitizer Can Cause a False Positive Breathalyzer Test