The argument on the side of "enhanced interrogation" techniques tends to come down to the practical: we need them because they work (i.e., they obtain information that could not be obtained in a usable time frame by other methods, which prevents attacks). If the claim is true, that would be a legitimate argument (). There are a number of ways to decided whether an interrogation method, whether enhanced or not, is valid and productive. The Mitch McConnell (R-Ky) method is not one of them. His method? Noting that there have been no major terrorist attacks in the United States since 11 September, 2009. While true, it does not establish a causative relationship between interrogation methods and prevention of terrorist attacks.
This is exactly the same reasoning used in the development of superstitions. I was wearing boxers nor briefs when I got my Western blot to work. Therefore, I always wear boxers when doing Western blots. Or, I wear pants and have never been struck by lightning. Therefore, pants prevent lightning strikes.
Even if you favor using water boarding and the like, don't use McConnell's argument. It just makes you look silly.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Debunking: A President Of The US Could Order A Nuclear Attack At A Moments Notice On A Whim
- Who Is Trying To Destroy The Internet?
- A Dimuon Particle At 30 GeV In ALEPH ??
- Moon Science Surprises - More Interesting For Human Exploration Than A Boulder Plucked From An Asteroid?
- DDoS War: How Zombie Fridges Bit The Internet In The a$$ Today.
- President Obama, Why Humans On Mars Right Now Are Bad For Science
- Biofuels Are A Climate Mistake
- "Yes, exactly. I go into it some more here:..."
- "Ok looks as if I need to do a teaser trailer so you know what is in the link, if you had clicked..."
- "Ffs of course its bloody real i dont get why people put things like well if it was real we would..."
- "Because your hundreds of thousands who read these things are scientifically illiterate and buy..."
- "Hi, thank you for an interesting read, Sorry for the (surely) naive question. You have remarked..."
- To Avoid Adult Dysfunction Start 'IN UTERO'
- ACSH Medical Director Named One Of America's Top Pediatricians, We're In The Economist, And More
- The Math of Hunting and Fishing: When to Work Together
- Placebo: Bubbles Of Nothing Are Still Not Something
- People Who Take Drugs May Be Likelier to Commit Suicide
- Improved 'Screen Time' Guidelines Could Make Parents & Kids Happier