The argument on the side of "enhanced interrogation" techniques tends to come down to the practical: we need them because they work (i.e., they obtain information that could not be obtained in a usable time frame by other methods, which prevents attacks). If the claim is true, that would be a legitimate argument (). There are a number of ways to decided whether an interrogation method, whether enhanced or not, is valid and productive. The Mitch McConnell (R-Ky) method is not one of them. His method? Noting that there have been no major terrorist attacks in the United States since 11 September, 2009. While true, it does not establish a causative relationship between interrogation methods and prevention of terrorist attacks.
This is exactly the same reasoning used in the development of superstitions. I was wearing boxers nor briefs when I got my Western blot to work. Therefore, I always wear boxers when doing Western blots. Or, I wear pants and have never been struck by lightning. Therefore, pants prevent lightning strikes.
Even if you favor using water boarding and the like, don't use McConnell's argument. It just makes you look silly.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Doomsday Dashboard Makes Tracking The Apocalypse Convenient
- 2 New Species Of Primitive Fish Discovered
- Intellectually Gifted Kids And Learning Disabilities Often Go Hand In Hand
- Fighting Plagiarism In Scientific Papers
- Holistically Tuned - The Brain Sees Words As Pictures, Not A Series Of Letters
- Climate Change Is Not Causing Extreme Winters
- The White House Plan To Combat Antibiotic Resistance
- "With the Republicans in charge of Congress now, we're certainly having to get used to people with..."
- "Climate change? Are you buying the misuse of language and science? When did the climate not change..."
- "Except there was almost no war in the winter of 1939-40. Poland fell in two weeks before winter..."
- "I already agreed with you that cell phones are not and likely never have been a danger. I said..."
- "So, along with this ancient cosmic evolution, which is the probability that within a galaxy like..."