Today is Holocaust Remembrance Day. Although Holocaust Remembrance Day officially commemorates the approximately 6 million Jews that died during the Holocaust and Jewish resistance, I agree with Evan Bernstein of The Rogues Gallery and The Skeptics' Guide to the Universe that this is a good day to remember all the genocides that have occurred during the ever-so-bloody 20th century. Piero Scaruffi sums up the sordid history on his website.
Note to Ben Stein: Amazingly all the genocides on this list were motivated by religion, ethnic disputes, and/or political ideology. Not one instance of the rigorous application of scientific theory leading to genocide.
While some might argue that looking at the frequency of genocides might induce apathy or the conclusion that genocides aer natural and unavoidable, I disagree. On the contrary, understanding that an individual genocide, such as the Holocaust, was not a completely unique event, an outlier in history, forces on realize that these mass murders are the symptom of true problems in the way humans deal with each other. Only when we see genocides as the result of systematic problems in human society, do we stand a chance of doing something to treat the disease, because we are lousy at treating the symptom.
Only then can we avoid the, "Sorry about that, won't do that again" attitude. Beacause we know "won't do that again" is followed by "until next time."
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Part I: Bee Deaths Mystery Solved? Neonicotinoids (Neonics) May Actually Help Bee Health
- Part II: Bee Deaths And CCD - Flawed Chensheng Lu Harvard Studies Endanger Bees
- Bitcoin And Anonymity: User's Identity Can Be Revealed Much Easier Than Thought
- Is The Micropower Revolution Here?
- Not Neonics: Parasites Are Bad For Honey Bees
- Volunteer-Based Peer Review: A Success
- On integrating out short-distance physics
- "Hi, the comics linked below seems to deal with a similar stuff. http://www.smbc-comics.com/?id=3554#comi..."
- "they don't see how it damages the economic system that made America great in the past. Huh? Empirical..."
- "Hank, any experiment/study can test any thesis. If Lu's goal was to test field realistic doses..."
- "That was a petition from activist scientists, almost none of whom are entomologists. More..."
- "A lot of what you call a govt subsidy was in fact a carbon tax that the recent Aus govt removed..."
- Trial shows new imaging system may cut x-ray exposure for liver cancer patients
- How do our muscles work?
- DNA may survive suborbital spaceflight, re-entry
- Post-medieval Polish buried as potential 'vampires' were likely local
- Arctic conditions may become critical for polar bears by end of 21st century