Today is Holocaust Remembrance Day. Although Holocaust Remembrance Day officially commemorates the approximately 6 million Jews that died during the Holocaust and Jewish resistance, I agree with Evan Bernstein of The Rogues Gallery and The Skeptics' Guide to the Universe that this is a good day to remember all the genocides that have occurred during the ever-so-bloody 20th century. Piero Scaruffi sums up the sordid history on his website.
Note to Ben Stein: Amazingly all the genocides on this list were motivated by religion, ethnic disputes, and/or political ideology. Not one instance of the rigorous application of scientific theory leading to genocide.
While some might argue that looking at the frequency of genocides might induce apathy or the conclusion that genocides aer natural and unavoidable, I disagree. On the contrary, understanding that an individual genocide, such as the Holocaust, was not a completely unique event, an outlier in history, forces on realize that these mass murders are the symptom of true problems in the way humans deal with each other. Only when we see genocides as the result of systematic problems in human society, do we stand a chance of doing something to treat the disease, because we are lousy at treating the symptom.
Only then can we avoid the, "Sorry about that, won't do that again" attitude. Beacause we know "won't do that again" is followed by "until next time."
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Parkinson’s Disease Reverted In Rats
- Why Some People Are Better Navigators: Brain's 'Homing' Signal Identified
- Guest Post: Ben Allanach, On Open Access
- Dr. Ozvorkian And The Amoebas
- Mental Illnesses Run In Families, So How Can We Protect Children?
- Only One Third Of Dr. Oz Show Recommendations Is Believable, Finds Analysis
- Why I’ll Talk Policy With Climate Change Deniers But Not Science
- "This is just one reason I went into chemistry. Philosophy just went flying right over my head...."
- "I've tried a very similar pedelec. The one I had was very heavy and had such a high rolling..."
- "I'm a toaster, It's my raison d'être, I toast, therefore I am.Red Dwarf..."
- "Well the bicycle I rode to school and back on for 5 years had very small very thick wheels and..."
- "Great article but just one thing. Maybe it should be.... Only One Third Of Dr. Oz Show..."