Today is Holocaust Remembrance Day. Although Holocaust Remembrance Day officially commemorates the approximately 6 million Jews that died during the Holocaust and Jewish resistance, I agree with Evan Bernstein of The Rogues Gallery and The Skeptics' Guide to the Universe that this is a good day to remember all the genocides that have occurred during the ever-so-bloody 20th century. Piero Scaruffi sums up the sordid history on his website.
Note to Ben Stein: Amazingly all the genocides on this list were motivated by religion, ethnic disputes, and/or political ideology. Not one instance of the rigorous application of scientific theory leading to genocide.
While some might argue that looking at the frequency of genocides might induce apathy or the conclusion that genocides aer natural and unavoidable, I disagree. On the contrary, understanding that an individual genocide, such as the Holocaust, was not a completely unique event, an outlier in history, forces on realize that these mass murders are the symptom of true problems in the way humans deal with each other. Only when we see genocides as the result of systematic problems in human society, do we stand a chance of doing something to treat the disease, because we are lousy at treating the symptom.
Only then can we avoid the, "Sorry about that, won't do that again" attitude. Beacause we know "won't do that again" is followed by "until next time."
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Kudos To "The Independent" Newspaper For Debunking Nibiru "Blood Moon" Hoax
- Control Cancer By Making The Tumor Cell Environment Hostile
- It's Not The Nicotine: US Teens More Likely To Vape For Flavorings
- USDA Microbiologist Warns Bacteria In Vaping Products May Be A Health Concern
- Your Microbiome Did Not Cause Your Weight Problem
- Brivaracetam In Epilepsy: Added Benefit Still Not Proven
- Want Lower Dengue Fever Risk? Have A Warmer Climate
- "Stacey, I already have. But sometimes I find new ways to explain these things which seem to help..."
- "Mr walker please would you be able to demonstrate how this cant be real or at least show hard evidence..."
- "germs, microbes, bacteria, etc.apparently cannot feed on pg, vg, or nicotine. The flavorings commonly..."
- "Oh, I wonder if you were lucky enough to see a rare sun mirage? Actually every time you see..."
- "I dont know much about this topic, however, I am certain of what I saw yesterday at sunset and..."
- Breast Cancer: Genomics May Show Where Chemo Might Not Be Needed
- Gallup Poll: Great Example of How to Bias a Social Science Study
- Another Kardashian Craze Debunked
- Fad Friday: Ditch The Body Wrap!
- Commonly Cited Stat of 10 Bacteria for Every 1 Human Cell Is Wrong
- Why The EpiPen And Other Generic Drugs Are So Expensive
- Activity tracker uses heart rate to personalize amount of exercise needed to prevent death
- Moderate physical activity linked with 50 percent reduction in cardiovascular death in over-65s
- 20 cent school intervention stops unhealthy weight gain in children
- Low socioeconomic status associated with higher risk of second heart attack or stroke
- Smartphone detects atrial fibrillation with existing hardware