Today is Holocaust Remembrance Day. Although Holocaust Remembrance Day officially commemorates the approximately 6 million Jews that died during the Holocaust and Jewish resistance, I agree with Evan Bernstein of The Rogues Gallery and The Skeptics' Guide to the Universe that this is a good day to remember all the genocides that have occurred during the ever-so-bloody 20th century. Piero Scaruffi sums up the sordid history on his website.
Note to Ben Stein: Amazingly all the genocides on this list were motivated by religion, ethnic disputes, and/or political ideology. Not one instance of the rigorous application of scientific theory leading to genocide.
While some might argue that looking at the frequency of genocides might induce apathy or the conclusion that genocides aer natural and unavoidable, I disagree. On the contrary, understanding that an individual genocide, such as the Holocaust, was not a completely unique event, an outlier in history, forces on realize that these mass murders are the symptom of true problems in the way humans deal with each other. Only when we see genocides as the result of systematic problems in human society, do we stand a chance of doing something to treat the disease, because we are lousy at treating the symptom.
Only then can we avoid the, "Sorry about that, won't do that again" attitude. Beacause we know "won't do that again" is followed by "until next time."
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- A Statistics Session At A Particle Physics Conference ?
- Beekeepers Can Be Hazardous To Bees
- Crossref To Accept Preprints In Change To Long-standing Policy
- Young Bisexual Women More Susceptible To Depression
- Wildlife Loss In Tropical Forests Is Bad News For Everyone
- The Number Of My Publications Has Four Digits
- The Venus Flytrap: From Prey To Predator
- "It could also be worth mentioning the eBook version is available for a 7 day free trial on Amazon..."
- "And BTW, I'll look forward to reading the book anyway. Always good to stay current. Scott...."
- "Truly astonishing. Honestly. my background was originally astrophysics but morphed into other fields..."
- "We seem to be getting numerous studies each year that say the same thing - that red meat and processed..."
- " Seems there's a repeating effect in this; if you feed something it grows and when once you start..."
- Blood analyses may predict risk of delirium in older surgical patients
- Design tool enables novices to create bendable input devices for computers
- DMP 'rheumatoid arthritis': Guidelines cover important health care aspects
- Australian swift parrot listed as critically endangered
- Does the moon affect our mood or actions?