SENATOR ORRIN HATCH (R-UTAH)
Known for his various musical talents and having all his shirts custom made to fit an impossibly narrow neck, Hatch does not join the Festival of Idiots because he lost the Republican Presidential nomination to W.
Senator Orrin Hatch wrote and strongly supported the Dietary Supplement Health and Education Act of 1994 (DSHEA). DSHEA stopped the previous FDA method of dietary supplement regulation (banning "unapproved food additives").
Now, dietary supplements are not required to prove that they either are safe or effective before going to market. DSHEA does not allow dietary supplements to make "disease" claims, but does allow vague and unsubtantiated "structure and function claims" like "immune-boosting" or "maintains a healthy circulatory system".
The FDA cannot even monitor that dietary supplements contain the ingredients they claim until a safety problem is reported.
For endangering the health of his fellow Americans through his legislative efforts, we thank you, Senator Orrin Hatch.
Orrin Hatch website: http://hatch.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=Home.Home
Voting Record: http://hatch.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=Legislation.VotingRe...
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- The Enemy Of Archaeology Is Not People, It's Salt
- Science Graduates Are Not Good At Math – But Why?
- The Glaciers Of Mars
- The Origin Of Neptune And Uranus
- Donate To Sense About Science!
- Nordic Seas Saline - It's The Gulfsream, Not The Melting Arctic
- 325,000 Year Old Stone Age Site In Armenia Leads To Human Technology Rethink
- "I've looked into this. It's a physics-free zone, and sooo condescending. I mean, take a look at..."
- "Hi Tommaso,What about the running mass? Wouldn't the top mass appear a little lower in CMS than..."
- "salt also kills fleas---if you have fleas, just buy some cheap table salt and put it into your..."
- "I appreciate the article, but I would have preferred a less overstated title. Yes, salt is an issue..."
- "Yep, lots of 'feel' to it. I rate that over technical playing, but acknowledge that a combination..."
- High-dose vitamin D for ICU patients who are vitamin D deficient does not improve outcomes
- New study finds university health schools' use of holistic admissions has positive impact
- Gut bacteria promote obesity in mice
- Endoscopists recommend frequent colonoscopies, leading to its overuse
- Chinese scientists unveil liquid phase 3-D printing method using low melting metal alloy ink