SENATOR ORRIN HATCH (R-UTAH)
Known for his various musical talents and having all his shirts custom made to fit an impossibly narrow neck, Hatch does not join the Festival of Idiots because he lost the Republican Presidential nomination to W.
Senator Orrin Hatch wrote and strongly supported the Dietary Supplement Health and Education Act of 1994 (DSHEA). DSHEA stopped the previous FDA method of dietary supplement regulation (banning "unapproved food additives").
Now, dietary supplements are not required to prove that they either are safe or effective before going to market. DSHEA does not allow dietary supplements to make "disease" claims, but does allow vague and unsubtantiated "structure and function claims" like "immune-boosting" or "maintains a healthy circulatory system".
The FDA cannot even monitor that dietary supplements contain the ingredients they claim until a safety problem is reported.
For endangering the health of his fellow Americans through his legislative efforts, we thank you, Senator Orrin Hatch.
Orrin Hatch website: http://hatch.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=Home.Home
Voting Record: http://hatch.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=Legislation.VotingRe...
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- M60-UCD1: Tiny Galaxy, Supermassive Black Hole
- Witness The Singularity AI Nanotech Co-Evolutionary Merger
- Dark Matter Is A Bose-Einstein Condensate?
- John Ellis On The Ascent Of The Standard Model
- New Land, Fewer Harvests? The Possible Future Of Global Agriculture
- No books for you! City Colleges of Chicago Students.
- Theory Of Externalities, And Why We’ve Come To Hate Tech Companies
- "You make a fine point. Germany, Japan and South Korea all prospered because we did not make their..."
- "I asked nicely that further comments relating to that paper should happen on the Winnower with..."
- "Yet another banal Afghanistan good new story. Lack of infrastructure, a stable legal regime, and..."
- "OK Great! Red Dwarf anyone?..."