SENATOR ORRIN HATCH (R-UTAH)
Known for his various musical talents and having all his shirts custom made to fit an impossibly narrow neck, Hatch does not join the Festival of Idiots because he lost the Republican Presidential nomination to W.
Senator Orrin Hatch wrote and strongly supported the Dietary Supplement Health and Education Act of 1994 (DSHEA). DSHEA stopped the previous FDA method of dietary supplement regulation (banning "unapproved food additives").
Now, dietary supplements are not required to prove that they either are safe or effective before going to market. DSHEA does not allow dietary supplements to make "disease" claims, but does allow vague and unsubtantiated "structure and function claims" like "immune-boosting" or "maintains a healthy circulatory system".
The FDA cannot even monitor that dietary supplements contain the ingredients they claim until a safety problem is reported.
For endangering the health of his fellow Americans through his legislative efforts, we thank you, Senator Orrin Hatch.
Orrin Hatch website: http://hatch.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=Home.Home
Voting Record: http://hatch.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=Legislation.VotingRe...
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Lettuces Now, What Next - Could Astronauts Get All Their Oxygen And Food From Algae Or Plants?
- Most Idiotic Rejection Of Course From Philosopher Of Science Not Grasping Relativity
- An Historical Moment For Diabetes
- An Argument For Legalizing Doping In Sports
- Two Saturdays: Why A 4 Day Work Week Might Make Sense
- Thou Shalt Have One Higgs - $100 Bet Won !
- Why Suspenseful Movies Keep Your Eyes Glued To The Screen
- "The FDA can not approve needed drugs and approves un-needed drugs. One more argument that drug..."
- "Just adding a thought here. This is to do with the idea of adapting BIOS-3 and also crop growing..."
- "I'll take this with a grain for now..."
- "They even bought off the nongmo project and convinced cereal companies to add poison to get us..."
- "This originated as my answer to the Quora question: Why doesn't NASA have plants inside space..."
- Why girls are less interested in computer science: Classrooms are too 'geeky'
- Frogs make irrational choices - and what means for understanding animal mating
- Depression, blood pressure extremes predict highest rates of vascular events
- The Superhero craze may be over
- Where bread began: Ancient tools used to reconstruct (and eat) prehistoric cuisine
Books By Writers Here