SENATOR ORRIN HATCH (R-UTAH)
Known for his various musical talents and having all his shirts custom made to fit an impossibly narrow neck, Hatch does not join the Festival of Idiots because he lost the Republican Presidential nomination to W.
Senator Orrin Hatch wrote and strongly supported the Dietary Supplement Health and Education Act of 1994 (DSHEA). DSHEA stopped the previous FDA method of dietary supplement regulation (banning "unapproved food additives").
Now, dietary supplements are not required to prove that they either are safe or effective before going to market. DSHEA does not allow dietary supplements to make "disease" claims, but does allow vague and unsubtantiated "structure and function claims" like "immune-boosting" or "maintains a healthy circulatory system".
The FDA cannot even monitor that dietary supplements contain the ingredients they claim until a safety problem is reported.
For endangering the health of his fellow Americans through his legislative efforts, we thank you, Senator Orrin Hatch.
Orrin Hatch website: http://hatch.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=Home.Home
Voting Record: http://hatch.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=Legislation.VotingRe...
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Family Holiday Survival: 12 Ways To Deal With That Climate Change Denier
- A Vegetarian Carnivorous Plant...Wait, What?
- Falsifiability And The Integrity Of Physics
- Wave-Particle Duality And Quantum Uncertainty - Two Sides Of The Same Mystery?
- Guest Post: Ben Allanach, On Open Access
- How Does Prostate Cancer Happen?
- Enlightenment Finding Eternity In The Now
- "As one who has more than dabbled in the area of Quantum Gravity for years I agree with this.  ..."
- "Explain to me how attacking Mehmet Oz over and over again makes people safe? He isn't killing..."
- "Number 9 isn't accurate. The secret of making money off of climate change is to convince governments..."
- "I am under the impression a lot of contemporary physics assumes that nothing can be a 100% or 0%..."
- "Love this. Short, simple, to the point, and it applies in oh so many ways to many far-flung..."