On Wednesday, the Guardian (a newspaper that still has journalistic integrity) reported on a study (PDF of executive summary)by South Africa's Medical Research Council on rape and HIV. The study found that 28% of men (sample size of 1738) admitted to having raped a woman or girl, and half of those reported committing multiple rapes. They also found that 5% of men admitted to committing a rape in the past year. Although women are the primary victims, 10% of males reported being raped by another man, with 3% of men admitting to raping another man or boy.
So called "corrective" rape (warning: video is not visually graphic, but is disturbing) is also being used to "convince" lesbians to be straight.
The silence? An estimated 88% of rapes go unreported. The culture? Only 7% of reported rapes lead to a conviction.
Please remember that every penny of revenue from the rugbyologist blog for the entirety of 2009 will be donated to support Medecins Sans Frontieres (Doctors Without Borders). Every click on this blog will help provide free, competent medical care to those in most desperate need around the world.
Join the Silence is the Enemy facebook group.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- The Number Of My Publications Has Four Digits
- Professor Frenkel: Why Shouldn't We Drop Algebra From Our Education System?
- Metal Hip Replacements Implanted Since 2006 More Prone To Failure
- Does lower literacy make you a sucker for online health ads?
- Matter Can Potentially Accelerate The Expansion Of The Universe
- Common Sense and Cosmology
- Unique Fragment From Earth’s Formation Returns Home
- "<!--[if gte mso 9]> 800x600 <![endif]--> High energy Big Bang is the initial Unification scale..."
- "Right, and the other 5 had tobacco residue...."
- "I have space-time numbers. I don't have a metric space which, yes, requires a metric tensor for..."
- "Even using Wikipedia, an illustration of the conventional prejudice on the matter energy density..."
- "In Reading University Library there is a most interesting book Felix Klein and Sophus Lie by I..."
- Parents' presence at bedside found to decrease neonatal abstinence syndrome severity
- Breastfeeding app shows promise in supporting first-time mothers
- Study shows asthma-related Twitter posts can predict rise in hospital visits
- Mental health diagnoses rise significantly for military children
- Combination of face-to-face and online bullying may pack a powerful punch