On Wednesday, the Guardian (a newspaper that still has journalistic integrity) reported on a study (PDF of executive summary)by South Africa's Medical Research Council on rape and HIV. The study found that 28% of men (sample size of 1738) admitted to having raped a woman or girl, and half of those reported committing multiple rapes. They also found that 5% of men admitted to committing a rape in the past year. Although women are the primary victims, 10% of males reported being raped by another man, with 3% of men admitting to raping another man or boy.
So called "corrective" rape (warning: video is not visually graphic, but is disturbing) is also being used to "convince" lesbians to be straight.
The silence? An estimated 88% of rapes go unreported. The culture? Only 7% of reported rapes lead to a conviction.
Please remember that every penny of revenue from the rugbyologist blog for the entirety of 2009 will be donated to support Medecins Sans Frontieres (Doctors Without Borders). Every click on this blog will help provide free, competent medical care to those in most desperate need around the world.
Join the Silence is the Enemy facebook group.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Today's Global Warming Is Nothing Special
- Conservation Of Massive: When You Lose Weight, Where Does The Fat Go?
- New Limits On VY Production From CDF: Good, But Also Disappointing
- There Was No 'Paleo Diet' - Ancient People Ate What They Had
- To Be Cool Kids, Are We Programmed To Make Bad Decisions?
- Physics is too hard for women, according to female physics students
- Silica-Based Carbon-trapping 'Sponges' Can Cut Greenhouse Gases
- "it took 200,000 years for the climate to return to normal Define normal...."
- "Another article today reports that electricity, in New England, has jumped to 24 cents/ KWHr. A..."
- "In this Youtube a stray dog called Monte the dog drives a car completely by himself, on a..."
- "You can't write an article like this! It's not allowed! People are stupid and can't handle the..."
- 'Perfect storm' quenching star formation around a supermassive black hole
- Journal of Astronomical Telescopes, Instruments, and Systems launch creates new forum
- NASA satellites measure increase of Sun's energy absorbed in the Arctic
- Policy action urgently needed to protect Hawaii's dolphins
- New conversion process turns biomass 'waste' into lucrative chemical products