On Wednesday, the Guardian (a newspaper that still has journalistic integrity) reported on a study (PDF of executive summary)by South Africa's Medical Research Council on rape and HIV. The study found that 28% of men (sample size of 1738) admitted to having raped a woman or girl, and half of those reported committing multiple rapes. They also found that 5% of men admitted to committing a rape in the past year. Although women are the primary victims, 10% of males reported being raped by another man, with 3% of men admitting to raping another man or boy.
So called "corrective" rape (warning: video is not visually graphic, but is disturbing) is also being used to "convince" lesbians to be straight.
The silence? An estimated 88% of rapes go unreported. The culture? Only 7% of reported rapes lead to a conviction.
Please remember that every penny of revenue from the rugbyologist blog for the entirety of 2009 will be donated to support Medecins Sans Frontieres (Doctors Without Borders). Every click on this blog will help provide free, competent medical care to those in most desperate need around the world.
Join the Silence is the Enemy facebook group.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Parton Distribution Functions For Run 2 At The LHC
- Non-Verbal Smell Test May Be Indicator Of Autism
- New GHOST Technology Leaps Out Of The Screen
- True Weight Loss Is Rare
- Genetic Testing In Kids - The Science Isn't Complicated But The Psychology Is
- Pollution Helps Trees Fight Infection
- Doing Good Deeds Helps Socially Anxious People Relax
- "Okay, you gave yes to many questions (even the disagreement in 5, was not a real disagreement as..."
- "Hi, I currently finished my 3rd year of MSci in the UK, and am planning to start a PhD in Fall..."
- "If you stuck to the facts, that would be one thing, but you immediately in the beginning extrapolate..."
- "Thanks for the reference. It says things I am familiar about, but then there is the relationship..."
- "I don't mean to negate anyone's sense of free will. But having information about what works and..."
Books By Writers Here