On Wednesday, the Guardian (a newspaper that still has journalistic integrity) reported on a study (PDF of executive summary)by South Africa's Medical Research Council on rape and HIV. The study found that 28% of men (sample size of 1738) admitted to having raped a woman or girl, and half of those reported committing multiple rapes. They also found that 5% of men admitted to committing a rape in the past year. Although women are the primary victims, 10% of males reported being raped by another man, with 3% of men admitting to raping another man or boy.
So called "corrective" rape (warning: video is not visually graphic, but is disturbing) is also being used to "convince" lesbians to be straight.
The silence? An estimated 88% of rapes go unreported. The culture? Only 7% of reported rapes lead to a conviction.
Please remember that every penny of revenue from the rugbyologist blog for the entirety of 2009 will be donated to support Medecins Sans Frontieres (Doctors Without Borders). Every click on this blog will help provide free, competent medical care to those in most desperate need around the world.
Join the Silence is the Enemy facebook group.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- The Enemy Of Archaeology Is Not People, It's Salt
- Top Mass: CMS Again On Top!
- Science Graduates Are Not Good At Math – But Why?
- Why Ice Sheets Will Keep Melting For Centuries To Come
- The Origin Of Neptune And Uranus
- The Glaciers Of Mars
- Depression Surveys Linked To Unnecessary Antidepressant Prescriptions
- "I've long pictured a brain as a bunch of rail yards, and signals are trains.When you're learning..."
- "I'm suggesting you can design a synthetic silicon neuron, and be able to export and import the..."
- "Some salts such as salts made from a reaction of a strong acid and a weak base can react with water..."
- "I've looked into this. It's a physics-free zone, and sooo condescending. I mean, take a look at..."
- "Hi Tommaso,What about the running mass? Wouldn't the top mass appear a little lower in CMS than..."
- NASA ocean data shows 'climate dance' of plankton
- NASA support key to glacier mapping efforts
- NASA-funded rocket has 6 minutes to study solar heating
- Deceptive-looking vortex line in superfluid led to twice-mistaken identity
- Gene doubling shapes the world: Instant speciation, biodiversity, and the root of our existence