On Wednesday, the Guardian (a newspaper that still has journalistic integrity) reported on a study (PDF of executive summary)by South Africa's Medical Research Council on rape and HIV. The study found that 28% of men (sample size of 1738) admitted to having raped a woman or girl, and half of those reported committing multiple rapes. They also found that 5% of men admitted to committing a rape in the past year. Although women are the primary victims, 10% of males reported being raped by another man, with 3% of men admitting to raping another man or boy.
So called "corrective" rape (warning: video is not visually graphic, but is disturbing) is also being used to "convince" lesbians to be straight.
The silence? An estimated 88% of rapes go unreported. The culture? Only 7% of reported rapes lead to a conviction.
Please remember that every penny of revenue from the rugbyologist blog for the entirety of 2009 will be donated to support Medecins Sans Frontieres (Doctors Without Borders). Every click on this blog will help provide free, competent medical care to those in most desperate need around the world.
Join the Silence is the Enemy facebook group.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Aging Star's Weight Loss Secret Revealed
- Supersymmetry Is About To Be Discovered, Kane Says
- Today's Disposable Society: Pharmaceuticals And Other Contaminants Of Emerging Concern
- Anomaly! - A Different Particle Physics Book
- No, Earth's Magnetic Field Is Not About To Flip
- Ethical Responsibilities TO Newly Born Terraformed Worlds
- Like Human Civilization? Thank Our Evil Side
- "It doesn't. It is too daft to even give it a moment's consideration. Also see the long list of..."
- "thank u mr walker hope wat u are saying is true and that nibiru dosent exist..."
- "Yes. Do please, if you can! If you've got worked up, perhaps forgetting about it can help. I'm..."
- "so do I just carry on with my life as normal and forget all about this nibiru then..."
- "Yes, it's hard once you have got yourself worked up and scared about something, to calm down again..."
- Progesterone supplements do not improve outcomes for recurrent miscarriages
- Women with diabetes exposed to air pollution at higher risk for heart disease
- Mosquito-borne virus may lead to severe brain infection
- Air pollution and cardiovascular disease: Increased risk for women with diabetes
- How a genetic locus protects adult blood-forming stem cells