On Wednesday, the Guardian (a newspaper that still has journalistic integrity) reported on a study (PDF of executive summary)by South Africa's Medical Research Council on rape and HIV. The study found that 28% of men (sample size of 1738) admitted to having raped a woman or girl, and half of those reported committing multiple rapes. They also found that 5% of men admitted to committing a rape in the past year. Although women are the primary victims, 10% of males reported being raped by another man, with 3% of men admitting to raping another man or boy.
So called "corrective" rape (warning: video is not visually graphic, but is disturbing) is also being used to "convince" lesbians to be straight.
The silence? An estimated 88% of rapes go unreported. The culture? Only 7% of reported rapes lead to a conviction.
Please remember that every penny of revenue from the rugbyologist blog for the entirety of 2009 will be donated to support Medecins Sans Frontieres (Doctors Without Borders). Every click on this blog will help provide free, competent medical care to those in most desperate need around the world.
Join the Silence is the Enemy facebook group.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- "I was thinking wait until we have room temp superconductors, well maybe roomer temp superconductors..."
- "The Ikerbasque release with the captions was a little confused but I went to the site and found..."
- "I think I may have found it: Cosmic Structure as the Quantum Interference of a Coherent Dark..."
- "Actually, based upon a paper reference on Google Scholar, I suspect it is intended to be , for..."
- "The captions on both figures are the same.I'm reasonably certain this isn't the News Staff's fault..."
- Migraine in middle age linked to increased risk of Parkinson's, movement disorders later
- For some lung cancer patients, surgery may yield better long-term results
- Brain imaging research pinpoints neurobiological basis for key symptoms associated with post-traumatic stress disorder like list
- PTSD symptoms associated with increased food addiction
- Vitiligo treatment holds promise for restoring skin pigmentation