The Deadliest Catch details the work travails of Bering Sea crab fishermen, but African wives of fishermen may be having adventures of their own.
The authors of a recent paper estimated that up to 60% of men and 50% of women report extra-marital partnerships in their lifetime - and they believe those numbers are under-reported, especially among women, due to cultural constraints. In reality, range estimates are so broad as to be almost meaningless but even if it's 20% it's a lot.
Because it's Africa, estimates become even fuzzier. Presumably, extramarital affairs in America would involve condoms or at least a note from a doctor to proceed - not so everywhere, and thus HIV is a bigger concern and a stigma when it comes to honesty about behavior. And then general polygamy in some cultures skews results and also just rampant sex.
Regardless of the specifics, fishermen and truck drivers are apparently still getting busy there just like they did here 40 years ago.
The authors used 1090 gender-matched interviews (545 couples) and 12 focus group discussions with 59 couples. 6.2% of women reported an extra-marital affair in the last six months.
What reasons did they list?
Denial of a preferred sex positions, a longer penis, younger age and increased sexual satisfaction topped the list and, of course, domestic violence. In other words, the same as every woman who has ever had an affair.
CLICK IMAGE FOR FULL SIZE. Partial table of relationship and sexual attributes by extra-marital partnership status among women married to fishermen along Lake Victoria in Kisumu County.
Citation: Kwena Z, Mwanzo I, Shisanya C, Camlin C, Turan J, et al. (2014) Predictors of Extra-Marital Partnerships among Women Married to Fishermen along Lake Victoria in Kisumu County, Kenya. PLoS ONE 9(4): e95298. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0095298
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Phase-Change Materials Set New Speed Limit For Silicon
- M60-UCD1: Tiny Galaxy, Supermassive Black Hole
- Life After The 125 GeV Higgs: What Is Left Of Two-Higgs Doublet Models
- Watching Neurons Learn: Learning New Ideas Is More Difficult
- Longer Telomeres And Genetic Determinant For Melanoma Risk
- Ig Nobel Prizes 2014: From Jesus On Toast To Baby Feces In Sausages
- Witness The Singularity AI Nanotech Co-Evolutionary Merger
- " Quantum Mechanics (intellectual dishonesty) at its finest, a never ending logical fallacy of moving..."
- "Please re-read the first paragraph. It's missing an ending......"
- "If being very restrained brings you to write stuff as AFAIK he has never talked about the gaps..."
- "Hi Mephisto,we do have a similar problem to the one you mention in high-energy physics - when we..."
- "Concerning his political opinions, Lubos is a deluded annoying crank, but credit has to be given..."
- Gibbon genome sequence deepens understanding of primates rapid chromosomal rearrangements
- Combining antibodies, iron nanoparticles and magnets steers stem cells to injured organs
- Messier 54 lithium: This star cluster is not what it seems
- Sharks more abundant on healthy coral reefs
- Using plants to produce enzyme may provide treatment for high blood pressure in lungs
Books By Writers Here