The Deadliest Catch details the work travails of Bering Sea crab fishermen, but African wives of fishermen may be having adventures of their own.
The authors of a recent paper estimated that up to 60% of men and 50% of women report extra-marital partnerships in their lifetime - and they believe those numbers are under-reported, especially among women, due to cultural constraints. In reality, range estimates are so broad as to be almost meaningless but even if it's 20% it's a lot.
Because it's Africa, estimates become even fuzzier. Presumably, extramarital affairs in America would involve condoms or at least a note from a doctor to proceed - not so everywhere, and thus HIV is a bigger concern and a stigma when it comes to honesty about behavior. And then general polygamy in some cultures skews results and also just rampant sex.
Regardless of the specifics, fishermen and truck drivers are apparently still getting busy there just like they did here 40 years ago.
The authors used 1090 gender-matched interviews (545 couples) and 12 focus group discussions with 59 couples. 6.2% of women reported an extra-marital affair in the last six months.
What reasons did they list?
Denial of a preferred sex positions, a longer penis, younger age and increased sexual satisfaction topped the list and, of course, domestic violence. In other words, the same as every woman who has ever had an affair.
CLICK IMAGE FOR FULL SIZE. Partial table of relationship and sexual attributes by extra-marital partnership status among women married to fishermen along Lake Victoria in Kisumu County.
Citation: Kwena Z, Mwanzo I, Shisanya C, Camlin C, Turan J, et al. (2014) Predictors of Extra-Marital Partnerships among Women Married to Fishermen along Lake Victoria in Kisumu County, Kenya. PLoS ONE 9(4): e95298. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0095298
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Are We Living In A Hologram? Is The Universe A 2-D Projection On The Cosmic Horizon?
- Stuff Worth Reading: Collider Asymmetries, Dark Photons, And Warp Drives
- Does This Cow Really Exist?
- Are Insects The Future Of Food?
- Just In Case You Thought Your Wine Was Vegan
- Gravity Data Show That Antarctic Ice Sheet Is Melting Increasingly Faster
- Why Space Travel May Be Bad For Your Brain
- "That is an excellent question. I've never run across a reference to a fossil significantly bigger..."
- "Thanks and good question! Male argonauts are at the extreme of spawn once, then die while the females..."
- "I'm probably being overly analytic here, but what exactly are vegan's trying to optimize? If a..."
- "I had no idea there were Jurassic vampire squid. How big were they?..."
- "Hi Marco,sure - the stuff is indeed interesting, whatever its practical applications may be one..."