The Deadliest Catch details the work travails of Bering Sea crab fishermen, but African wives of fishermen may be having adventures of their own.
The authors of a recent paper estimated that up to 60% of men and 50% of women report extra-marital partnerships in their lifetime - and they believe those numbers are under-reported, especially among women, due to cultural constraints. In reality, range estimates are so broad as to be almost meaningless but even if it's 20% it's a lot.
Because it's Africa, estimates become even fuzzier. Presumably, extramarital affairs in America would involve condoms or at least a note from a doctor to proceed - not so everywhere, and thus HIV is a bigger concern and a stigma when it comes to honesty about behavior. And then general polygamy in some cultures skews results and also just rampant sex.
Regardless of the specifics, fishermen and truck drivers are apparently still getting busy there just like they did here 40 years ago.
The authors used 1090 gender-matched interviews (545 couples) and 12 focus group discussions with 59 couples. 6.2% of women reported an extra-marital affair in the last six months.
What reasons did they list?
Denial of a preferred sex positions, a longer penis, younger age and increased sexual satisfaction topped the list and, of course, domestic violence. In other words, the same as every woman who has ever had an affair.
CLICK IMAGE FOR FULL SIZE. Partial table of relationship and sexual attributes by extra-marital partnership status among women married to fishermen along Lake Victoria in Kisumu County.
Citation: Kwena Z, Mwanzo I, Shisanya C, Camlin C, Turan J, et al. (2014) Predictors of Extra-Marital Partnerships among Women Married to Fishermen along Lake Victoria in Kisumu County, Kenya. PLoS ONE 9(4): e95298. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0095298
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- From The Great Wall To The Great Collider
- Early Human Ancestor Did Not Have The Jaws Of A Nutcracker
- How Gut Inflammation Sparks Colon Cancer
- Increase In Volcanic Eruptions At The End Of The Ice Age Caused By Melting Ice Caps And Erosion
- Would New Planet X Clear Its Orbit? - And Any Better Name Than "Planet Nine"?
- A Conservative Argument For Genetic Modification Of Embryos
- A Long, Hot View: Climate Change Likely To Extend Across Next 10,000 Years
- " Not to put words in the authors mouth I believe what he is referring to is the attribution of..."
- "This is all just fear-mongering, clap-trap! If things go according to these prediction, but no..."
- "like the sages of israel say g-d created the rules and he dont owe anyone anything weather this..."
- "This is not surprising. In fact in a cohort with autism in general who did not have this specific..."
- Here’s Why Surge in Hepatitis B Cases is No Surprise
- Whooping Cough Booster Declines Rapidly Over 4 Years
- Unapproved Stem Cell Therapies, a Public Health Menace
- Enjoying the Sun’s Vitamin D, While Blocking Skin Cancer
- Norovirus: From Satan’s Biohazard Lab To Your Duodenum
- Health Briefs: What You Missed Over the Weekend
- Stress could help activate brown fat
- Air pollution exposure during pregnancy linked with asthma risk
- Exposure to air pollution 30 years ago associated with increased risk of death
- Diabetes drug shown to help body rebuild after heart attack
- New evidence gives women informed choice in the prolapse surgery debate