The Deadliest Catch details the work travails of Bering Sea crab fishermen, but African wives of fishermen may be having adventures of their own.
The authors of a recent paper estimated that up to 60% of men and 50% of women report extra-marital partnerships in their lifetime - and they believe those numbers are under-reported, especially among women, due to cultural constraints. In reality, range estimates are so broad as to be almost meaningless but even if it's 20% it's a lot.
Because it's Africa, estimates become even fuzzier. Presumably, extramarital affairs in America would involve condoms or at least a note from a doctor to proceed - not so everywhere, and thus HIV is a bigger concern and a stigma when it comes to honesty about behavior. And then general polygamy in some cultures skews results and also just rampant sex.
Regardless of the specifics, fishermen and truck drivers are apparently still getting busy there just like they did here 40 years ago.
The authors used 1090 gender-matched interviews (545 couples) and 12 focus group discussions with 59 couples. 6.2% of women reported an extra-marital affair in the last six months.
What reasons did they list?
Denial of a preferred sex positions, a longer penis, younger age and increased sexual satisfaction topped the list and, of course, domestic violence. In other words, the same as every woman who has ever had an affair.
CLICK IMAGE FOR FULL SIZE. Partial table of relationship and sexual attributes by extra-marital partnership status among women married to fishermen along Lake Victoria in Kisumu County.
Citation: Kwena Z, Mwanzo I, Shisanya C, Camlin C, Turan J, et al. (2014) Predictors of Extra-Marital Partnerships among Women Married to Fishermen along Lake Victoria in Kisumu County, Kenya. PLoS ONE 9(4): e95298. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0095298
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- What Lies Beneath West Antarctica?
- Exodus 2100: Due To Climate Change
- Unified Mathematical Field Theory Talk
- Many Americans Putting Vision At Risk From Sun Damage
- How To Make Women's Tennis More Competitive
- Race And Racism 101 Lecture 1 Intro & Terminology
- Researchers List '7 Chemical Separations To Change The World'
- "Just adding another link. Spinning Brains..."
- "Okay, yes I hadn't thought about clear walled aquariums. That's a good example :). Maybe its easier..."
- " I tried to form a number system with Z6 and I got the same thing as with Z4 ! I too am unclear..."
- "Or maybe homosexuals are just more messed up than average to begin with. Nope, can't be. It's always..."
- "Perhaps it is time that large groups assign some type of weighting to authors to indicate their..."
- Bed Bugs May Have A Favorite Color
- NASA: Rising CO2 Will Help Food Crops
- NRDC Sues EPA Over Fracking – Has The Settlement Been Pre-Arranged?
- Vaccinate Pregnant Moms to Protect Babies from the Flu
- Pure Unstructured Structured Water – Because Some People Will Buy Anything
- Critical-Care Drug Shortages Continue, Despite FDA Action