Science Online Bay Area (SOBA) is devoted to discussing how science is carried out and communicated online. Part of the Bay Area Science festival, SOBA opens up the debate to the larger community and addresses the question of citizen science with amateur scientists and professional researchers.
“DIY science”, “biohacking” and “citizen science” are just some of the many terms used to describe the experiments of amateur scientists, a field that has come back to life in the last two decades. In garages, kitchens, and community labs, citizen scientists shed light on how science happens and contribute to exciting discoveries. But how do they interact with paid scientists?
Science Online Bay Area and Swissnex San Francisco invite the public to attend a talk with citizen scientists and researchers to share their views on this new interface between science and society.
Date: October 30th, 2012
Time: 7:00pm - 8:30pm
Location: swissnex San Francisco, 730 Montgomery Street, San Francisco, CA 94111
Ariel Waldman is the founder of Spacehack.org, a directory of ways to participate in space exploration, and the global instigator of Science Hack Day, an event that brings together scientists, technologists, designers and people with good ideas to see what they can create in one weekend.
Roberta Ayres, is a is currently an Education Consultant for the Gulf of Guinea Biodiversity Project education component at the California Academy of Sciences Department of Herpetology.
Kristina Hathaway, co-founder and COO of BioCurious, and Yasaman Sheri, industrial designer and member of BioCurious, are also confirmed speakers.
Attendance is free. Register here.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- M60-UCD1: Tiny Galaxy, Supermassive Black Hole
- Life After The 125 GeV Higgs: What Is Left Of Two-Higgs Doublet Models
- Longer Telomeres And Genetic Determinant For Melanoma Risk
- Ig Nobel Prizes 2014: From Jesus On Toast To Baby Feces In Sausages
- Watching Neurons Learn: Learning New Ideas Is More Difficult
- In A Global Warming Future, Autumn Foliage Will Come Later, Last Longer
- Witness The Singularity AI Nanotech Co-Evolutionary Merger
- "If being very restrained brings you to write stuff as AFAIK he has never talked about the gaps..."
- "Hi Mephisto,we do have a similar problem to the one you mention in high-energy physics - when we..."
- "Concerning his political opinions, Lubos is a deluded annoying crank, but credit has to be given..."
- "Right on, and I have written articles on that issue in the past - by preventing uptake in wealthy..."
- "Genetic algorithms would be a step back toward (simulation of) evolution in isolated testbeds (computer)..."