Science Online Bay Area (SOBA) is devoted to discussing how science is carried out and communicated online. Part of the Bay Area Science festival, SOBA opens up the debate to the larger community and addresses the question of citizen science with amateur scientists and professional researchers.
“DIY science”, “biohacking” and “citizen science” are just some of the many terms used to describe the experiments of amateur scientists, a field that has come back to life in the last two decades. In garages, kitchens, and community labs, citizen scientists shed light on how science happens and contribute to exciting discoveries. But how do they interact with paid scientists?
Science Online Bay Area and Swissnex San Francisco invite the public to attend a talk with citizen scientists and researchers to share their views on this new interface between science and society.
Date: October 30th, 2012
Time: 7:00pm - 8:30pm
Location: swissnex San Francisco, 730 Montgomery Street, San Francisco, CA 94111
Ariel Waldman is the founder of Spacehack.org, a directory of ways to participate in space exploration, and the global instigator of Science Hack Day, an event that brings together scientists, technologists, designers and people with good ideas to see what they can create in one weekend.
Roberta Ayres, is a is currently an Education Consultant for the Gulf of Guinea Biodiversity Project education component at the California Academy of Sciences Department of Herpetology.
Kristina Hathaway, co-founder and COO of BioCurious, and Yasaman Sheri, industrial designer and member of BioCurious, are also confirmed speakers.
Attendance is free. Register here.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- The Law has Failed, Not Forensic Science
- Energy-Space Photography Captures Light Behaving As A Wave And A Particle
- Sun's Impact On Climate Is Greater In Cool Periods
- Cats Use Sight Over Smell When Finding Food
- The Real Meaning Of The Blue Black White Gold Dress
- How Mr. Spock Changed Our Perception Of Science
- Francis Halzen On Cosmogenic Neutrinos
- "Don't worry about it. Religion is decreasing in society every year and by 20-30% each generation..."
- "It's interesting how Campbell claims that the aging Linus Pauling said things that are a little..."
- "Presumably, John Collins refers to “Predicting Erroneous Convictions,” by Jon B. Gould and..."
- "David:My first, gut reaction was my math sure looks fishy :-) Small m is a scalar, small..."
- "they probably play important roles in microbial communities and ecosystems. But we don't yet fully..."