Science Online Bay Area (SOBA) is devoted to discussing how science is carried out and communicated online. Part of the Bay Area Science festival, SOBA opens up the debate to the larger community and addresses the question of citizen science with amateur scientists and professional researchers.
“DIY science”, “biohacking” and “citizen science” are just some of the many terms used to describe the experiments of amateur scientists, a field that has come back to life in the last two decades. In garages, kitchens, and community labs, citizen scientists shed light on how science happens and contribute to exciting discoveries. But how do they interact with paid scientists?
Science Online Bay Area and Swissnex San Francisco invite the public to attend a talk with citizen scientists and researchers to share their views on this new interface between science and society.
Date: October 30th, 2012
Time: 7:00pm - 8:30pm
Location: swissnex San Francisco, 730 Montgomery Street, San Francisco, CA 94111
Ariel Waldman is the founder of Spacehack.org, a directory of ways to participate in space exploration, and the global instigator of Science Hack Day, an event that brings together scientists, technologists, designers and people with good ideas to see what they can create in one weekend.
Roberta Ayres, is a is currently an Education Consultant for the Gulf of Guinea Biodiversity Project education component at the California Academy of Sciences Department of Herpetology.
Kristina Hathaway, co-founder and COO of BioCurious, and Yasaman Sheri, industrial designer and member of BioCurious, are also confirmed speakers.
Attendance is free. Register here.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Robot Tongue Identifies The Correct Beer Every Time
- Mystery Of Morgellons - Disease Or Delusion - Scientific Hypothesis Of Connection With Lyme Disease
- Your Probiotic Probably Has Gluten
- Did The Scottish Settle Iceland A Century Before The Norse?
- Machine Learning And Big Data Is Changing Sports
- 2nd law of thermodynamics
- Mummy Madness In The Anatomical Record - All Open Access
- "64. Combo of Overweight, High Sodium Intake Speeds Cell Aging in Teens. March 20th, 2014 http://blog..."
- " This pretty well destroys the Myth of second hand smoke: Lungs from pack-a-day smokers safe for..."
- "This is a good start, but describing the waste stream of nuclear power in terms of carbon production..."
- "Knowing this would a mitochondrial superoxide like MitoQ be beneficial or harmful?..."
- "It makes a huge different to the environment. And I think that's a good enough reason to hail organi..."