Science Online Bay Area (SOBA) is devoted to discussing how science is carried out and communicated online. Part of the Bay Area Science festival, SOBA opens up the debate to the larger community and addresses the question of citizen science with amateur scientists and professional researchers.
“DIY science”, “biohacking” and “citizen science” are just some of the many terms used to describe the experiments of amateur scientists, a field that has come back to life in the last two decades. In garages, kitchens, and community labs, citizen scientists shed light on how science happens and contribute to exciting discoveries. But how do they interact with paid scientists?
Science Online Bay Area and Swissnex San Francisco invite the public to attend a talk with citizen scientists and researchers to share their views on this new interface between science and society.
Date: October 30th, 2012
Time: 7:00pm - 8:30pm
Location: swissnex San Francisco, 730 Montgomery Street, San Francisco, CA 94111
Ariel Waldman is the founder of Spacehack.org, a directory of ways to participate in space exploration, and the global instigator of Science Hack Day, an event that brings together scientists, technologists, designers and people with good ideas to see what they can create in one weekend.
Roberta Ayres, is a is currently an Education Consultant for the Gulf of Guinea Biodiversity Project education component at the California Academy of Sciences Department of Herpetology.
Kristina Hathaway, co-founder and COO of BioCurious, and Yasaman Sheri, industrial designer and member of BioCurious, are also confirmed speakers.
Attendance is free. Register here.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Thou Shalt Have One Higgs - $100 Bet Won !
- FDA Stiffs Go Soft On Pink Viagra
- Could Astronauts In The ISS Get All Their Oxygen & Food From Algae & Plants?
- Breast Cancer Study Misunderstood By Its Authors
- Stem Cell Research Informed Consent: What To Know
- A Historical Moment For Diabetes
- The Spread Of Life Among The Stars
- "Bottom line is any drug with fluoride in it should be black boxed and restricted to life and death..."
- "I agree. No need to bet to enjoy the race, whatever time it takes. I do hope that the LHC experimenters..."
- "LOL! I laughed so hard at this article! This was before its time- love it. I am the Celiac who..."
- "Hi Tony,let me just say that I do hope your model is correct!!!And after all we don't need to go..."
- "The primary and first blood glucose test is the HbA1C test, as you surely must knowI surely know..."
- Goth teens more vulnerable to depression and self-harm
- 15 percent of cigarettes sold in NYC have illegal tax stamps
- Humans may be harmed by endocrine disrupting chemicals released during fracking, according to review
- Infliximab biosimilar approved in Australia - lower cost is great, but questions about safety remain
- The radiationless revolution in electromagnetics