Science Online Bay Area (SOBA) is devoted to discussing how science is carried out and communicated online. Part of the Bay Area Science festival, SOBA opens up the debate to the larger community and addresses the question of citizen science with amateur scientists and professional researchers.
“DIY science”, “biohacking” and “citizen science” are just some of the many terms used to describe the experiments of amateur scientists, a field that has come back to life in the last two decades. In garages, kitchens, and community labs, citizen scientists shed light on how science happens and contribute to exciting discoveries. But how do they interact with paid scientists?
Science Online Bay Area and Swissnex San Francisco invite the public to attend a talk with citizen scientists and researchers to share their views on this new interface between science and society.
Date: October 30th, 2012
Time: 7:00pm - 8:30pm
Location: swissnex San Francisco, 730 Montgomery Street, San Francisco, CA 94111
Ariel Waldman is the founder of Spacehack.org, a directory of ways to participate in space exploration, and the global instigator of Science Hack Day, an event that brings together scientists, technologists, designers and people with good ideas to see what they can create in one weekend.
Roberta Ayres, is a is currently an Education Consultant for the Gulf of Guinea Biodiversity Project education component at the California Academy of Sciences Department of Herpetology.
Kristina Hathaway, co-founder and COO of BioCurious, and Yasaman Sheri, industrial designer and member of BioCurious, are also confirmed speakers.
Attendance is free. Register here.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- What Lies Beneath West Antarctica?
- The Genetic History Of Ice Age Europe
- Exodus 2100: Due To Climate Change
- One Third Of Antibiotic Prescriptions Unnecessary
- New Interpretation Of The Rök Runestone Inscription Changes View Of Viking Age
- Race And Racism 101 Lecture 1 Intro & Terminology
- Professor Frenkel: Why Shouldn't We Drop Algebra From Our Education System?
- "Please email me, I want to know every bit of knowledge you can provide. I've got so many questions...."
- "Phew! Finally!! Trouble is, you have to have an IQ of well over 100 to understand it. PLUS, you..."
- "Top US scientist Hal Lewis resigned from his post at the University of California after admitting..."
- " Hilarious! ..."
- " Warning! Warning! Warning! elfish is a privileged troll living for an ivory tower! http://plato..."
- Froggie went a courtin' and waved goodbye to rival wooers
- Children react physically to stress from their social networks
- Reef system with 10,000 km2 found at the Amazon River mouth
- Research-based exercise program turning preschoolers into 'Fit Kids'
- Genetic switch could be key to increased health and lifespan