Science Online Bay Area (SOBA) is devoted to discussing how science is carried out and communicated online. Part of the Bay Area Science festival, SOBA opens up the debate to the larger community and addresses the question of citizen science with amateur scientists and professional researchers.
“DIY science”, “biohacking” and “citizen science” are just some of the many terms used to describe the experiments of amateur scientists, a field that has come back to life in the last two decades. In garages, kitchens, and community labs, citizen scientists shed light on how science happens and contribute to exciting discoveries. But how do they interact with paid scientists?
Science Online Bay Area and Swissnex San Francisco invite the public to attend a talk with citizen scientists and researchers to share their views on this new interface between science and society.
Date: October 30th, 2012
Time: 7:00pm - 8:30pm
Location: swissnex San Francisco, 730 Montgomery Street, San Francisco, CA 94111
Ariel Waldman is the founder of Spacehack.org, a directory of ways to participate in space exploration, and the global instigator of Science Hack Day, an event that brings together scientists, technologists, designers and people with good ideas to see what they can create in one weekend.
Roberta Ayres, is a is currently an Education Consultant for the Gulf of Guinea Biodiversity Project education component at the California Academy of Sciences Department of Herpetology.
Kristina Hathaway, co-founder and COO of BioCurious, and Yasaman Sheri, industrial designer and member of BioCurious, are also confirmed speakers.
Attendance is free. Register here.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Outsourcing: 3 Ways To Stop Medical Research Brain Drain
- Cometary Globule CG4 - From God's Hand To The Mouth Of The Beast
- Helicopter Parenting: Good For Your Pets, Bad For Your Kids
- Collectivism Ruins Creativity
- Adult Stem Cells Used To Grow New Hair
- Hope For Headshaking In Horses
- We're Playing Classical Music All Wrong
- "Just one minor correction in an otherwise informative and solid piece. Streamline the Regulatory..."
- "Bureaucracy can impede not only drug development, but also new treatment methods which address..."
- "Who said they could support life? These things are hotter than Mercury, they have a 10- day orbit..."
- "That shutdown feels like a great example of government logic. They told people they were shutting..."
- "I am not sure of your point. The US is just the opposite, we are one of only two civilized nations..."
- Conspiracy theorists are right? Analysis says oil is often the reason for interfering in another country's war
- What do medical journalists think about cancer research?
- Teen girls: Sugary drinks linked to earlier onset of menstrual periods
- Abnormal: Violent psychopaths can't understand punishment
- Respiratory chain: Protein complex structure revealed