The last time we did this, in October 2008, Science 2.0 Gets A Version 2.0 had a nice ring to it. Version 3.0 not so much. But once per decade, whether it needs it or not, we do new features and generally try to make things better without, you know, making it worse.
So we are going to start discussing some ideas. An obvious one is to find other 'science 2.0'-ish companies and do things with them.
Obviously Science 2.0 is more than communication, it is also publication, participation and collaboration, and my thinking was someone ... anyone ... would do a good job on collaboration but I am not sure they have, so if there are ideas on how that could work as part of a bigger framework let me know. It will be tricky and take a load of bread to capitalize so that may not be reasonable. The reason none of them have taken off is because people want everything free and in actual tools, that is not possible.
There are many, many places to publish in peer-review fashion but if we think that needs to be done, that would actually be the easiest so we can discuss it. Participation is done by companies like FoldIt and Galaxy Zoo and maybe more so we could talk to them about partnerships.
Those efforts would also happen in parallel so in the meantime I'd like to find a way to get as many ideas as possible on the table so does anyone know of a good way to do that? Would it be a huge chat online thing, video conferencing with audio? How do we do product planning and include the community when everyone is remote? Email and messages seem sort of Science 1.0.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Erupting Bardarbunga Volcano In Iceland Sits On A Massive Magma Hot Spot
- Climate Change Caused By The Ocean
- Germany’s Green Energy Gamble Could Really Use Some Vorsprung Durch Technik
- Blood Vessel Transplant From Own Stem Cells - Now In A Week
- Home, Workplace, Tomb – Fury And The Reality Of The World War II Tank
- Researchers Created A Laser Bullet To See What It Would Look Like - And Here It Is
- New Tractor Beam Can Repel And Attract
- "Well stated dersu. I add that the big problem is we still don't have a working model of the brain..."
- "Underage drinking is declining in the US - has been for about a decade. Don't easily available..."
- "A lower range of likely values for climate sensitivity, a larger role from the oceans, if..."
- "But do you understand that these futuristic machines may also be used to study the property of..."
- "Both in this article and the press release from ASU Biodesign are carefully worded allusion to..."
- How to sell a toxic pesticide the smart way–call it organic
- Leftist dystopia? Anti-technology fever animates opposition to GMOs and other ‘disruptive’ technologies
- CDC faced a nearly impossible balancing act with Ebola, and failed
- Why Chobani reversed course, making yoghurt only from milk from cows not fed GMO grain
- Monterey, California, hotbed of anti-GMO activism, home to new GMO corn farm
- Evolution is sometimes messy or even outright ridiculous