The last time we did this, in October 2008, Science 2.0 Gets A Version 2.0 had a nice ring to it. Version 3.0 not so much. But once per decade, whether it needs it or not, we do new features and generally try to make things better without, you know, making it worse.
So we are going to start discussing some ideas. An obvious one is to find other 'science 2.0'-ish companies and do things with them.
Obviously Science 2.0 is more than communication, it is also publication, participation and collaboration, and my thinking was someone ... anyone ... would do a good job on collaboration but I am not sure they have, so if there are ideas on how that could work as part of a bigger framework let me know. It will be tricky and take a load of bread to capitalize so that may not be reasonable. The reason none of them have taken off is because people want everything free and in actual tools, that is not possible.
There are many, many places to publish in peer-review fashion but if we think that needs to be done, that would actually be the easiest so we can discuss it. Participation is done by companies like FoldIt and Galaxy Zoo and maybe more so we could talk to them about partnerships.
Those efforts would also happen in parallel so in the meantime I'd like to find a way to get as many ideas as possible on the table so does anyone know of a good way to do that? Would it be a huge chat online thing, video conferencing with audio? How do we do product planning and include the community when everyone is remote? Email and messages seem sort of Science 1.0.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- How 'Super Aging' Seniors Retain Youthful Memory Abilities
- The Chinese STEM Butterflies Of A 14-Year-Old Girl
- Wait, Let's Not Rush To Be Multiplanetary Or Interstellar - A Comment On Elon Musk's Vision
- How To Become A Researcher
- Bizarre Forelimb Evolution In Ancient Drepanosaurus Fossil
- Heal Non-Healing Wounds With Cold Plasma
- Rosetta Crashes Into A Comet - On Purpose
- "Warmer = Anthropogenic Global Warming Cooler = Anthropogenic Global Warming Wetter = Anthropogenic..."
- "Funny. Strange actually. I shared this with my wife and daughter today: The Making of Amadeus..."
- "I am the Salieri to your Mozart - able to recognize genius but never attain it. But I appreciate..."
- "Just found this, interesting hypothesis that some life on Mars could use a mixture of water and..."
- "Another earlier cite - Is there a common chemical model for life in the universe? (2004)..."
- Stay Away From Homeopathic Teething Remedies Warns the FDA
- FDA warns against homeopathic teething remedies
- Genetically Engineered Drug to Improve Safety of New Anti-clotting Meds
- Hillary Clinton vs. Donald Trump: Who’s Got the Stamina?
- Feeding Young Athletes
- Hillary Clinton vs. Donald Trump: Who’s Got the ‘Stamina?’
- Single-celled fungi multiply, alien-like, by fusing cells in host
- 51 U.S. House Members Urges DEA To Delay "Hasty" Ban On Natural Herbal Supplement Kratom
- Women are a quarter of the 1 percent
- Wetlands and agriculture, not fossil fuels, behind the global rise in methane
- Mass immigration is correlated to higher levels of crime, but not causal