The last time we did this, in October 2008, Science 2.0 Gets A Version 2.0 had a nice ring to it. Version 3.0 not so much. But once per decade, whether it needs it or not, we do new features and generally try to make things better without, you know, making it worse.
So we are going to start discussing some ideas. An obvious one is to find other 'science 2.0'-ish companies and do things with them.
Obviously Science 2.0 is more than communication, it is also publication, participation and collaboration, and my thinking was someone ... anyone ... would do a good job on collaboration but I am not sure they have, so if there are ideas on how that could work as part of a bigger framework let me know. It will be tricky and take a load of bread to capitalize so that may not be reasonable. The reason none of them have taken off is because people want everything free and in actual tools, that is not possible.
There are many, many places to publish in peer-review fashion but if we think that needs to be done, that would actually be the easiest so we can discuss it. Participation is done by companies like FoldIt and Galaxy Zoo and maybe more so we could talk to them about partnerships.
Those efforts would also happen in parallel so in the meantime I'd like to find a way to get as many ideas as possible on the table so does anyone know of a good way to do that? Would it be a huge chat online thing, video conferencing with audio? How do we do product planning and include the community when everyone is remote? Email and messages seem sort of Science 1.0.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- How We Predict Climate Decades Ahead - Yet Can't Forecast Weather Ten Days Ahead - Chaos Patterned With Order
- Should Pregnant Women Be Concerned About BPA?
- The Five Stages Of A Dying Theory
- Time, Wittgenstein And Language Scaffolding
- When Salt Is An Endocrine Disruptor, The Term Is Officially Meaningless
- Storytelling Deconstructed: Vonnegut Was Right About Just Six Emotional Story Lines, Says Big Data
- Russian scientists increase DVD storage capacity million times
- "Websites like thelabbible and Unilad are all about clickbait. There is no true journalism within..."
- "Yes for sure. If you need support then there are several facebook groups where you can meet other..."
- "Hi F,okay, I see your point of view. Yes, there are many feelings at play when one joins the bandwagon..."
- "Hi, I somehow disagree with your view of theorists: it was not belief or disbelief in the potential..."
- "Your really really positive and sure that nothing is going to happen please Mr walker i am actually..."
- Annoying Studies’ Series: Newborn Weight Gain (Again!)
- Five PM? Time for Breakfast!
- Include Aerobic Fitness in Physical Exams, Heart Association Recommends
- Female Vervet Monkeys Assault Males that Do Not Participate in Fights
- Vaginal Ring Effective for HIV Infection Prevention
- Winter is No Wonderland