New science indicating fluoride’s dangers to the brain and other organs will be presented by prominent fluoride research scientists during back-to-back conferences of the International Society for Fluoride Research (ISFR) and the Fluoride Action Network (FAN) in Toronto August 7-11, 2008. Fluoride, added to water supplies to prevent tooth decay, is also in virtually all non-organic foods and beverages. Fluoride's brain effects were never examined prior to water fluoridation. Recently, because of health concerns, Health Canada recommended that fluoride levels be lowered in Canadian water supplies (0.7 mg/L) , children's toothpaste and infant formula but claims that “the weight of evidence does not support a link between fluoride and intelligence quotient deficit.” “It is hard to believe that any "weight of evidence" analysis could possibly dismiss fluoride's neurological impacts. There have now been over 40 animal studies which show that fluoride can damage the brain, and no less than 18 studies which show that fluoride lowers IQ in children, and only 2 that don't. I look forward to reading the full report when it is made available,” says Paul Connett, PhD, FAN Executive Director. According to ISFR conference organizer, Dr. Hardy Limeback, “Our conference features experts who researched the dangers that fluoride poses to human health. Our keynote speaker, Dr. A.K. Susheela, (Executive Director, Fluorosis Research and Rural Development Foundation, India) probably knows more about fluoride's toxic effects to the body than any other living scientist. It is important that officials who promote water fluoridation hear what she and others have to say," says Limeback. Susheela can also explain to Medical Doctors, often untrained in fluoride toxicology, how to diagnose, treat and reverse early symptoms of fluoride toxicity which mimic arthritis and irritable bowel syndrome. The latest issue of ISFR’s journal, Fluoride, published 12 newly-translated Chinese studies, which report fluoride’s effects on the brain, including the lowering of IQ in children. These and other brain studies will be reviewed at both conferences. Coupled with these conferences, the Toronto-based Citizens for a Safe Environment (CSE) will host two public meetings with FAN in downtown Toronto on Monday August 11. According to CSE director Karen Buck, “These meetings will give the public information they don’t get from our government or dental organizations. In the afternoon, a panel will address the question of whether Toronto should stop fluoridating its water. In the evening experts will explain fluoride’s dangers to health.” After receiving an invitation to attend these meetings, the Ontario Dental Association sent out a news release urging legislators and communities to stand up in support of fluoridation; but they won't do so, themselves. "The best way that the ODA can get communities and politicians to stand up for water fluoridation is to provide, in person, a cogent and scientifically-referenced defense of fluoridation at the afternoon forum," says CSE President Karen Buck. At all three events, Dr. Vyvyan Howard, an infant and fetal pathologist, and president of the International Society of Doctors for the Environment, will be presenting a major review of studies on fluoride’s brain effects, including the translated Chinese studies. "The best way to lower children’s fluoride intake, as Health Canada suggests, is to stop fluoridation," says Connett. "It makes no sense to prescribe fluoride drugs to children via the water supply at levels which are between 150 and 250 times higher than the level in mothers’ milk.” For details on both conferences go to http://www.FluorideAlert.org For the CSE/FAN public events go to http://fluoridealert.org/august.11.html SOURCE: Fluoride Action Network http://www.FluorideAction.Net
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Atheists In Foxholes? Not Many - And Less The More Soldiers Dislike War
- ATLAS Vs CMS Higgs Results: Which Experiment Has More Sensitivity ?
- Is Everything You Eat A Drug?
- Is Cold Fusion For Real?!
- How The Immune System Tolerate A Healthy Gut Flora
- High Fructose Corn Syrup Addictive Like Cocaine, Says Researcher
- Arctic 2013
- "Wow. That reminds me of a story I heard regarding graduates of MIT physics. They gave..."
- "What besides pray is there to do caught in a foxhole under fire? Resorting to begging when in terror..."
- "I see. I agree with what you said about press - I hate when they trash people, but restricting..."
- "Good insight. I was an army officer in the 1980s and '90s but religion never overtly came up so..."
- " Yes, to a great extent it is, although we'd have to add into that mix all the folks that voluntarily..."
- Economic incentives that increase blood donation but don't backfire?
- Enzym protective function: breast cancer advance that turns previous thinking on its head
- Water in the Anthropocene: Majority on Earth face severe water shortages within 2 generations
- A new strategy required in the search for Alzheimer's drugs?
- Genomic analysis lends insight to prostate cancer