New science indicating fluoride’s dangers to the brain and other organs will be presented by prominent fluoride research scientists during back-to-back conferences of the International Society for Fluoride Research (ISFR) and the Fluoride Action Network (FAN) in Toronto August 7-11, 2008. Fluoride, added to water supplies to prevent tooth decay, is also in virtually all non-organic foods and beverages. Fluoride's brain effects were never examined prior to water fluoridation. Recently, because of health concerns, Health Canada recommended that fluoride levels be lowered in Canadian water supplies (0.7 mg/L) , children's toothpaste and infant formula but claims that “the weight of evidence does not support a link between fluoride and intelligence quotient deficit.” “It is hard to believe that any "weight of evidence" analysis could possibly dismiss fluoride's neurological impacts. There have now been over 40 animal studies which show that fluoride can damage the brain, and no less than 18 studies which show that fluoride lowers IQ in children, and only 2 that don't. I look forward to reading the full report when it is made available,” says Paul Connett, PhD, FAN Executive Director. According to ISFR conference organizer, Dr. Hardy Limeback, “Our conference features experts who researched the dangers that fluoride poses to human health. Our keynote speaker, Dr. A.K. Susheela, (Executive Director, Fluorosis Research and Rural Development Foundation, India) probably knows more about fluoride's toxic effects to the body than any other living scientist. It is important that officials who promote water fluoridation hear what she and others have to say," says Limeback. Susheela can also explain to Medical Doctors, often untrained in fluoride toxicology, how to diagnose, treat and reverse early symptoms of fluoride toxicity which mimic arthritis and irritable bowel syndrome. The latest issue of ISFR’s journal, Fluoride, published 12 newly-translated Chinese studies, which report fluoride’s effects on the brain, including the lowering of IQ in children. These and other brain studies will be reviewed at both conferences. Coupled with these conferences, the Toronto-based Citizens for a Safe Environment (CSE) will host two public meetings with FAN in downtown Toronto on Monday August 11. According to CSE director Karen Buck, “These meetings will give the public information they don’t get from our government or dental organizations. In the afternoon, a panel will address the question of whether Toronto should stop fluoridating its water. In the evening experts will explain fluoride’s dangers to health.” After receiving an invitation to attend these meetings, the Ontario Dental Association sent out a news release urging legislators and communities to stand up in support of fluoridation; but they won't do so, themselves. "The best way that the ODA can get communities and politicians to stand up for water fluoridation is to provide, in person, a cogent and scientifically-referenced defense of fluoridation at the afternoon forum," says CSE President Karen Buck. At all three events, Dr. Vyvyan Howard, an infant and fetal pathologist, and president of the International Society of Doctors for the Environment, will be presenting a major review of studies on fluoride’s brain effects, including the translated Chinese studies. "The best way to lower children’s fluoride intake, as Health Canada suggests, is to stop fluoridation," says Connett. "It makes no sense to prescribe fluoride drugs to children via the water supply at levels which are between 150 and 250 times higher than the level in mothers’ milk.” For details on both conferences go to http://www.FluorideAlert.org For the CSE/FAN public events go to http://fluoridealert.org/august.11.html SOURCE: Fluoride Action Network http://www.FluorideAction.Net
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Dense Galactic Core Shows Early Construction Of Giant Galaxy
- Ring Of Fire Tectonic Plate Is Cooling - And Shrinking
- Brain Networks Hyper-Connected In Depressed Young Adults
- Best Places On Mars For Droplets, & Shallow Flows Of Liquid Water - Where Microbial Life May Flourish
- Type 1 And 2 Diabetes Caused By Same Amylin Hormone Mechanism
- Resilience Management: What The Bubonic Plague Can Teach Us About Ebola
- Wealthy, Liberal, Elites: Vaccine Refusal Linked To Expression Of Privilege
- "So how does it work? What are the specifics? Please. Thank you. What reactions are taking place..."
- "I Yii Yii Yii?As in “canta no lloresporque cantando se alegrencielito lindo los corazones”?..."
- "Int J Cancer. 2014 Jun 20. doi: 10.1002/ijc.29036. [Epub ahead of print]Cannabis smoking..."
- "There's no question these are fishing expeditions out to advance a cultural agenda - what you see..."
- "You may be right. China is big in solar, but mostly in selling solar panels to wealthy nations..."
- Better health care as important as controlling risk factors for heart health
- Novel 'butterfly' molecule could build new sensors, photoenergy conversion devices
- A touching story: The ancient conversation between plants, fungi and bacteria
- Protein in 'good cholesterol' may be a key to treating pulmonary hypertension
- Research geared to keep women from fleeing IT profession