For as long as television and other weather forecasting, computer model forecasts (and before that, cyclical projections like in the Farmer's Almanac) have shown a single - deterministic - solution. Those forecasts are destined to be wrong, with the only question being by how much.
A different approach is taking hold where the emphasis is not just on a forecast, but on the degree of uncertainty in that forecast. You know, statistics.
December 4, 2013 from 7- 8 PM, Greg Fishel will be at the James B. Hunt, Jr. Library on N.C. State University's Centennial Campus to discuss how talking about uncertainty will help in delivering a better forecast.
The Changing Climate of Weather Prognostication: The Irony of Uncertainty Leading to Better Forecasts - Statistical and Applied Mathematical Sciences Institute
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Part I: Bee Deaths Mystery Solved? Neonicotinoids (Neonics) May Actually Help Bee Health
- Chronic Pain Isn't All In The Brain
- Violence, Sex And Taboo: The Original Brothers Grimm Fairy Tales Back In Print
- On integrating out short-distance physics
- Smoking, Drinking And Eating: It's Not About Your Freedom
- Part II: Bee Deaths And CCD - Flawed Chensheng Lu Harvard Studies Endanger Bees
- Is The Micropower Revolution Here?
- "And my second link should be not a copy of the first, but this: http://www.nature.com/news/half..."
- "Recently I saw The Conversation remove/censor legitimate comments arguing against an article written..."
- tags because there's no testing..." href="/robert_inventor/why_we_cant_backup_earth_on_mars_the_moon_or_anywhere_else_in_our_solar_system-148364#comment-182183">"Robert, you might want to reformat my post. I intended to highlight only the headlines for easy..."
- "My only complaint with good thinkers and writers has hither always been that they should produce..."
- "The complaints about Lu's studies emanated not from me but from the world's leading entomologists..."
- Study reveals significantly increased risk of stillbirth in males
- Moderate coffee consumption may lower the risk of Alzheimer's disease by up to 20 percent
- New research supporting stroke rehabilitation
- The artificial pancreas shown to improve the treatment of type 1 diabetes
- The Lancet: Leading medical experts call for an end to UK postcode lottery for liver disease treatment and detection