For as long as television and other weather forecasting, computer model forecasts (and before that, cyclical projections like in the Farmer's Almanac) have shown a single - deterministic - solution. Those forecasts are destined to be wrong, with the only question being by how much.
A different approach is taking hold where the emphasis is not just on a forecast, but on the degree of uncertainty in that forecast. You know, statistics.
December 4, 2013 from 7- 8 PM, Greg Fishel will be at the James B. Hunt, Jr. Library on N.C. State University's Centennial Campus to discuss how talking about uncertainty will help in delivering a better forecast.
The Changing Climate of Weather Prognostication: The Irony of Uncertainty Leading to Better Forecasts - Statistical and Applied Mathematical Sciences Institute
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Why This New "Planet X" Is No Threat To Earth :).
- Top Secret: On Confidentiality On Scientific Issues, Across The Ring And Across The Bedroom
- Would New Planet X Clear Its Orbit? - And Any Better Name Than "Planet Nine"?
- Double Dose Of Bad Earthquake News
- From The Great Wall To The Great Collider
- Quantum mechanics in 1834?
- The Greenhouse Effect Fallacy
- "But won't a venture capitalist expecting 1000% ROI on 100% of projects be eventually sued by his..."
- "For more on this:Did A Meteorite Kill A Bus Driver In India? and page they link to on the..."
- "Seems, the only confirmed case of someone injured by a meteorite was Ann Hodges who was hit by..."
- "Ask me on quora, visit my profile Robert Walker, and click message me. You can join quora easily..."
- "I didnt mean to waste your time and i apologize i was genuinely just asking wether it was real..."
- Spice of Life Can, Literally, Lead to Longer Life
- Keeping Babies Safe from ‘Tourniquet’ Hair
- Magnesium Matters, But You’re Already Getting Enough
- Here’s Why Surge in Hepatitis B Cases is No Surprise
- Whooping Cough Booster Declines Rapidly Over 4 Years
- Unapproved Stem Cell Therapies, a Public Health Menace
- Patient access to online health action plans enhances rate of preventive care
- 'A word's worth more than a thousand pictures' according to FAU study on young children
- Hunting pressure on forest animals in Africa is on the increase
- Oral capsule with bacterial spores may be effective treatment for recurrent C. difficile
- The shield is crumbling