For as long as television and other weather forecasting, computer model forecasts (and before that, cyclical projections like in the Farmer's Almanac) have shown a single - deterministic - solution. Those forecasts are destined to be wrong, with the only question being by how much.
A different approach is taking hold where the emphasis is not just on a forecast, but on the degree of uncertainty in that forecast. You know, statistics.
December 4, 2013 from 7- 8 PM, Greg Fishel will be at the James B. Hunt, Jr. Library on N.C. State University's Centennial Campus to discuss how talking about uncertainty will help in delivering a better forecast.
The Changing Climate of Weather Prognostication: The Irony of Uncertainty Leading to Better Forecasts - Statistical and Applied Mathematical Sciences Institute
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Women,This Is Your Brain On Junk Food
- ATLAS Higgs Challenge Results
- Epidemics: A Sleaze-Bag Payday?
- The Chicxulub Meteorite Killed The Dinosaurs But Made Forests Great
- Ebola Virus And Protein Secrets
- In Psychopaths, The Line Between Fantasy And Reality Is Thin
- Betavoltaics: Water-Based Nuclear Battery Developed
- "У меня иммунитет против многих инфекционных заболеваний..."
- "Kagglers call this overfitting to the leaderboard. They start to rely on the leaderboard for feedback..."
- "The problem is that the drugs work. A friend of mine was a professional cyclist who once said to..."
- "Correction to my previous post. It should say The dose makes the poison. http://learn.caim.yale..."
- "I understand what you're saying. Here's where my thinking differs. I don't see a line between what..."
- Phthalates heighten risk for childhood asthma
- New study examines the impact of socioeconomic position & maternal morbidity in Australia
- A greater focus on socially disadvantaged women is needed to improve maternity care in England
- NAMS issues first comprehensive recommendations on care of women at menopause and beyond
- Sharks' skin has teeth in the fight against hospital superbugs
Books By Writers Here