Around 70 percent of the rural population of India relies on buring the bio-fuel in the form of fire wood, cowdung cakes, saw dust, crop residues, sugarcane remnants, coconut shell in various forms. The fireplace or the local language word “Chulha” used for burning such bio-fuel is wasteful and uneconomic procedure besides causing the health damage due to incomplete combustion releasing lot of smoke which remains inside the kitchen which is generally devoid of any ventilator in the villages. With the result rural women encounter severe lungs problems. The dual loss of bio-fuel on the one hand due to improper burning and health damage to the hand prompted this study to work on alternative of the traditional system of bio-mass utilization in villages. Initially a survey was carried out on the type of “chulha” employed in the villages and bio-fuel utilized in Jaipur District of Rajasthan. Most of the villages utilize fuelwood stolen from the forests which gives poor fuel efficiency as it is not properly dried. A large section of villagers utilize cowdung mixed with some straw which results in waste of valuable FYM and disturbs the carbon cycle. Attempts were made to educate the villagers on the proper design of “Chulha” to improve the fuelwood utilization efficiency and solving the health problems by designing the improved “Chulha” which is under study now in several villages. Details shall be presented.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Know Science And Want To Write?
Donate or Buy SWAG
Please donate so science experts can write
for the public.
If you're worried about activists using
media to promote fear and doubt about
science and medicine,you're in the right place.
At Science 2.0, scientists are the journalists.
with no political bias or editorial control. But
we can't do it alone so please make a difference.
We are a nonprofit science journalism
group operating under Section 501(c)(3)
of the Internal Revenue Code that's
educated over 300 million people.
You can help with a tax-deductible
donation today and 100 percent of your
gift will go toward our programs,
no salaries or offices.
If you value independent science
communication, collaboration &
participation, please contribute.
- Positive Side Of Climate Change Facts - After Two Years Of Climate Change Action, Heading For 3°C With 1.5°C Well Within Reach
- Earth Day Tequila: Toxic Carcinogen Maker Casa Herradura Is The Way To Go
- Godly Kings: How War, Politics And Propaganda Helped Bring Down The Mayans
- What Is A Normal Testosterone Level? The Answer Is Difficult
- Fans of Neil Tyson, You Should Demand The Full Sexual Misconduct Investigation Findings. OPINION
- Six Questions On AMVA4NewPhysics
- Julian Assange Is Not A Journalist, So Journalists Should Not Make Him A Fourth Estate Martyr
- NTU scientists discover sustainable way to increase seed oil yield in crops
- From 2D to 1D: Atomically quasi '1D' wires using a carbon nanotube template
- Researchers report high performance solid-state sodium-ion battery
- Commentary: Modifications to Medicare rules could support care innovation for dialysis
- Airbnb's explosive growth jolts hotel industry's bottom line