However scientists like you have a role in providing solutions What has happend in other parts of the world to control.
How green are our cities? The key number in measuring that now is the per capita emission or how big a carbon footprint an individual leaves.
The developed world pegs lndia's per capita emission at 1.7 tonnes. But a study by a non-profit organization of 40 Indian cities says it is much lower at less than 1 tonne.
The worst big city in India is Kolkata, at 1.83 tonnes, but it is nothing compared to Washington DC, which has per capita emission of 19.7 tonnes, or China's Shanghai and Canada's Toronto, both over 8 tonnes.
Both Chennai and Bangalore have per capita emission lower than 1 tonne.
The Carbon Culprits
Washington DC: 19.7 tonnes
Shanghai, Toronto: Over 8 tonnes
Kolkata: 1.83 tonnes
Chennai, Bangalore: Lower than 1 tonne
In cities that top the list, the transport sector and industry seem to be playing a big role in upping carbon emissions.
Interestingly, key Indian cities like Delhi and Mumbai were not part of the survey because the local administration was not too keen about divulging energy data.
This data could give India the edge at the negotiating table in Copenhagen next month.
But India's fast-growing cities, like Gurgaon, already high at over 2 tonnes per capita emission have to be extra careful.
"We have already started initiating action that will bring down the per capita emissions in Gurgaon. Solid waste is a big contributor so we have put a plant in place to tackle the situation," says RK Khullar, Gurgaon Commissioner.
Now the challenge is to keep the emission figures at these levels or even lower it.
Recently in Agrintex several persons approached us as we were representing in that fair by the following questions
1. I have tannery and we have several hundred litres of waste from there each day . how to deal with waste.
2. I have coconut factory and while removing the husk there is lot of dust from the coconut shell which goes waste how can we use this dust for making electricity
3. I have sugarcane factory how can we make use of bagasse in better way.
4. What is the suitable size of biodiesel plant and what feed stock level it would require
Source: NDTV Correspondent, Thursday November 5, 2009, New Delhi
- Jaipur Pink city of India has herbal colours for fabric printing for generations ‘Sanganer’ and ‘Bagru’ towns of Jaipur district are famous for fabric-printing throughout the country.
- PIPS ANPR Cameras For London's Low Emission Zone
- Copenhagen- The Greenest Major City In Europe
- On The Urban Origin Of Global Greenhouse Gases
- Cow Poop Power Could Meet 3 Percent Of North American Energy Consumption