Science & Society
- Relax, 2002 NT7 Will NOT Hit Earth On 1st February- Millions Of Kilometers Away And Flying Further Every Day
UPDATE- NO HIT- AS PREDICTED BY ASTRONOMERS- The red top tabloids were quoting from something astronomers said 16 years ago. They aren't like the false prophet date setters. If they give a date they also give a time and timezone, just as they do for ...
Article - Robert Walker - Feb 1 2019 - 9:30pm
- Vegetarians Are Even More Okay With Eating Insects Than Omnivores Are
For the last 20 years, insects have been touted as the next big thing in food, because they have a lot of protein and would be reasonable to produce at scale. And people who don't understand agriculture think land only suitable for animal husbandry co ...
Article - Hank Campbell - Feb 4 2019 - 12:37am
- YES, US & Russia Suspended INF Treaty- NOT Imminent Nuclear War
This is another of my articles to help people who get terrified by news stories, which often get exaggerated titles even by responsible journalists. In this case many are scared that withdrawal from the INF is going to lead to a nuclear war. So, yes, it ...
Article - Robert Walker - Feb 3 2019 - 9:50am
- HPV Vaccine Did Not Lead To Promiscuity In Teenage Girls- Instead, Sexual Activity Declined
When the HPV vaccine was first introduced, there were a number of reasons people listed for being critical. Some were just corporate cynicism- a company that just lost $5 billion in a Vioxx settlement was working its way under the same vaccine halo as poli ...
Article - Hank Campbell - Feb 4 2019 - 5:00pm
- Have You Appeared In A Racist Photo Or Harassed Women? Here's How To Say 'I'm Sorry'
“I’m sorry.” These two words may seem simple, but the ability to express them when you’re in the wrong is anything but – particularly for those in the public eye. ...
Article - The Conversation - Feb 9 2019 - 10:00am
- "Ultra-Processed" Food Is Not Killing People In France- Too Many Calories Are
A recent paper in JAMA Internal Medicine had all of the ingredients mainstream media love in food stories; a cosmic sounding number of participants (44,551), which sounds like it adds statistical power, and a provocative conclusion about the perils of the ...
Article - Hank Campbell - Feb 13 2019 - 3:12pm
- There's Finally A Name For Studies Done In Feces And It's...
In vitro, in utero, these are science terms that have become commonly known. In vitro means studies in cells, like using test tubes, or a test for a fetus in the womb in the case of in utero. Studies done in feces- yes, excrement- haven't really had ...
Article - News Staff - Feb 19 2019 - 2:40pm
- Basic Income: How's It Working In Finland?
The preliminary findings from Finland’s basic income experiment are out and they show mixed results. Both advocates and critics of the idea of a universal basic income will find cause for consternation and celebration. Though widely anticipated by basic i ...
Article - The Conversation - Feb 21 2019 - 2:40pm
- More Expensive Milk Won't Help Farmers Enough- Culture Has Changed
I don't drink much milk now, though I did when I was a kid. I think I eat more cheese than I did then, and that makes sense. We were a poor family on a subsistence farm and cheese is expensive. Milk was not. At least if you got it right from the farme ...
Article - Hank Campbell - Feb 25 2019 - 1:00pm
- Trump Kim Meeting Broken Off- It’s Not Nearly As Bad As It Seems. More Of A Failure Of A Major Agreement Than A Major Disagreem
It is reasonably good news. Kim wanted the US to drop all sanctions in response for dismantling the publicly disclosed plant to make nuclear weapons materials. They weren't ready to do that. The US were willing to drop all sanctions in response to hi ...
Article - Robert Walker - Mar 1 2019 - 3:14pm