Science & Society
- Build The Thirty Meter Telescope On Mauna Kea. Sacredness And Sovereignty Have Nothing To Do With It.
A critical examination of the three main claims made by anti TMT protestors. Here are brief rebuttals to their sacredness and sovereignty claims and lastly a scientific reason why building anywhere else on Earth is no substitute. There is no basis in law ...
Blog Post - Hontas Farmer - Aug 31 2019 - 5:15pm
- Sexual Economics Debunked: Women Don't Have Less Relationship Power As They Age
Prevailing sexual economics belief posits that women have less sexual bargaining power as they age. But Baumeister and Vohs' 2004 Sexual Economic Theory (it's a proper name, like String Theory, even though it isn't really a theory, also like ...
Article - News Staff - Sep 2 2019 - 3:08pm
- Builders And Plumbers More Likely To Tell The Truth Than Politicians
LONDON, October 15 /PRNewswire/-- Politicians are mistrusted by 97% of Brits and the only professions people trust less are car sales representatives and estate agents. We are twice as likely to trust a builder or plumber to give us an honest opinion over ...
Article - Anna Ohlden - Sep 4 2019 - 8:47am
- TROLL ALERT: Thousands Panic Over Fake Voice Mail- Warning Alien Invasion On April 18- Alleged From MH370 Black Box‽
This is going viral on Facebook and scaring thousands of people, many panic attacks, some suicidal. This is another of my Doomsday Debunked posts to help these vulnerable people, many of them young children, still at school, who read about this on their m ...
Article - Robert Walker - Sep 4 2019 - 5:59pm
- Mind The Gender Gap: Why Women Must Still Fight For Equality In Science
Pulsars were discovered by a woman, Jocelyn Bell. Credit: Wikimedia By Hazel Hall, Edinburgh Napier University What was the greatest astronomical discovery of the 20th century? Some would say pulsars – highly magnetized, rotating neutron stars emitting be ...
Article - The Conversation - Sep 6 2019 - 9:12am
- A Concert In Crete
On August 20, in occasion of the " 5th International Workshop on Nucleon Structure at Large Bjorken x ", organized at the Orthodox Academy of Crete, I had the pleasure to accompany at the piano my wife, the soprano Kalliopi Petrou, for a concert ...
Article - Tommaso Dorigo - Sep 9 2019 - 8:58am
- My EPA Comment On IARC Monograph Leader Kurt Straif Being Nominated To The Science Advisory Committee On Chemicals
The Environmental Protection Agency has requested comments on proposed ad hoc participants on the Science Advisory Committee on Chemicals, which inside EPA will analyze compounds as needed by the Toxic Substances Control Act. At the bottom is my official s ...
Article - Hank Campbell - Sep 9 2019 - 10:57am
- Internet Joke Event- Why Crowd Of 2 Million Can't Storm Area 51 In Marathon 'Naruto Run' Across 26 Miles Of Desert
This is an internet joke event. Lots of people saying they will go just for the fun of it. Out of those 2 million or more, it would be a surprise if 50 actually turn up. This is what they plan to do, a Naruto run (click to watch on Youtube) UPDATE- THE EV ...
Article - Robert Walker - Sep 11 2019 - 10:52am
- Government Programs Claiming To Help Disabled People Marginalize Them With Paperwork
Projects and welfare systems established to provide support by normalizing disabled people instead contribute to their further marginalization, finds a new analysis. The paper in Organization Studies investigated a program that allocated computers to disab ...
Article - News Staff - Sep 13 2019 - 10:01am
- Thirty Meter Telescope: Observation Is Not Desecration! Astronomers Stand For Truth Not Defamation UPDATED
N ative Hawaiians have legit land use grievances but those have nothing to do with the Thirty Meter Telescope planned and approved twice over ten years to be built atop Mauna Kea. Astronomers globally need to stand up for this observatory or humanity wil ...
Blog Post - Hontas Farmer - Sep 15 2019 - 3:32pm