Science & Society
- Screening For Prostate Cancer At Embryogenesis And California Trees As Carcinogens
In California, we have warning labels on trees, because they will give us cancer. And that is not even the strangest of California's warnings about nearly 1,000 chemicals on hundreds of thousands of products. We call it "leadership" to put w ...
Article - Hank Campbell - Feb 10 2020 - 7:56pm
- Joe Mercola's Maze Of Vaccine Denying Organizations
The anti-vaccine movement tries to portray itself as scrappy grassroots outsiders standing up to Big Pharma and Big Government, but it's nothing of the kind, finds a recent Washington Post exposé. The National Vaccine Information Center, which claims ...
Article - Hank Campbell - Feb 11 2020 - 10:31am
- Misinformation And Disinformation Are Diseases And Both Social Media And Journalism Are Vectors
A recent paper finds that vaccine disinformation is common on social media while a few years ago I had employees watch food documentaries on Netflix and write about their impression and the results in both cases are startling for people who don't real ...
Article - Hank Campbell - Feb 17 2020 - 1:57pm
- If You Want People To Read Your Science, Get Them To Read You- By Making Your Stories Personal
A new paper says scientists can make their work more appealing to the public by making it more personal. I learned of it through a paid university PIO but few scientists will see the irony in that. I certainly agree with the point. I have been part of two ...
Article - Hank Campbell - Feb 21 2020 - 10:06am
- Magic Rocks: Wellness Approach Cures Brain Cancer- If You Never Had Brain Cancer
23-year-old "wellness" guru Belle Gibson claimed in spring 2013 to have cured her terminal brain cancer using her diet. She quickly became Australia's version of Vani Hari, "The Food Babe", so popular with the same demographic li ...
Article - Hank Campbell - Feb 24 2020 - 2:46pm
- Zicam And Other Homeopathy, Supplements; 51% Of Parents Say They Give Them To Kids Though They Know They Don't Work
Thanks to social media, advice on how to prevent a cold is everywhere and 51 percent of parents taking the C.S. Mott Children's Hospital National Poll on Children's Health admit to believing in folklore and homeopathy even though 99 percent of ...
Article - Hank Campbell - Feb 24 2020 - 2:49pm
- Katherine Johnson’s Story Is A Reminder Societal Progress Is Not Inevitable.
K atherine Johnson, a Mathematician doing a job known as being a “computer” for NASA in the movie “Hidden Figures” died today at the age of 101. She started out at a time where being such a human computer was looked about as lowly clerical work fit for w ...
Blog Post - Hontas Farmer - Feb 24 2020 - 6:21pm
- In 1921, Baseball Considered Banning Radio Broadcasts
In December 2011, when the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim and Texas Rangers signed away their local television rights for about $3 billion apiece, the sport media heralded a new record for local television rights fees. Accounting for roughly 43 percent of ...
Article - The Conversation - Feb 28 2020 - 11:43am
- Freeman Dyson. Don’t Call Him Doctor. He Was Too Smart For That.
F reeman Dyson, who has died at the age of 96, wouldn’t have liked being called doctor. Many other sites will well cover his life and achievements. He contributed to our understandings of mathematics and physics in a way very few ever have, ever can, or ...
Blog Post - Hontas Farmer - Feb 28 2020 - 7:59pm
- China Close To Containing COVID19- Rest Of World Can Stop It Too Says WHO- Why Isn't This Good News Hitting Headlines?
This is the news that they are not really sharing on mainstream TV: China is containing this outbreak. The screenshot shows figures for one of the other provinces, Henan province, right next to the worst affected province Hubei. Meanwhile China as a whole ...
Article - Robert Walker - Mar 3 2020 - 1:07am