- Goldilocks Planet: Being Just Right Is Why Earth Provided The Ingredients For Life
When it comes to evolutionary biology and life on other planets, there is talk of amino acids, the building blocks of our existence. But for any of that to work we first needed magnetic fields and plate tectonics, and a new paper finds that Earth became a ...
Article - News Staff - Jun 24 2020 - 5:31am
- How Dying White Dwarfs Breathe Life Into Earth
The origin of carbon in the Milky Way is a mystery but one source of many elements is not: Dying white dwarfs. As those dying stars pass into oblivion, they sprinkle their ashes into the cosmos. These ashes, spread via stellar winds, are enriched with many ...
Article - News Staff - Jul 7 2020 - 11:20am
- Mars Has Underground Lava Caves So Large We Can Build A Settlement In Them
A lava tube is just what it sounds like; a cave created when the surface of lava hardens but continues to flow underneath. When that trickles to a halt, the cave is left behind. These remaining caves exist on Earth and high-resolution pictures taken by int ...
Article - News Staff - Aug 6 2020 - 9:22am
- Collision Course: The Andromeda Galaxy Halo Is Already Running Into Our Own
The Andromeda galaxy, our nearest large galactic neighbor, has been found to have a nearly invisible halo of diffuse plasma that extends about halfway to our Milky Way. That's 1.3 million light-years, and it may go 2 million light-years in some parts, ...
Article - News Staff - Aug 31 2020 - 10:59am
- Discovered: WD 1586 B, A Planet That Survived The Death Of Its Star
(Inside Science)-- For the first time, an intact world may have been discovered around a white dwarf, suggesting that even after typical stars die, they may still host planets, a new study finds. White dwarfs are the cooling Earth-size cores of dead stars ...
Article - Inside Science - Sep 18 2020 - 10:37am
- No Realistic Possibility Of False Vacuum Collapse (Higgs Vacuum Decay) For Billions Of Years- Not A Concern
The false vacuum collapse is about a remote possibility, not just billions of years in the future, so far in the future that all the stars in the night sky have run out of fuel, long before. There is no realistic possibility at present, or for billions of ...
Article - Robert Walker - Sep 24 2020 - 9:21am
- No Realistic Possibility Of False Vacuum Decay- Your Questions Answered By An Expert- Dr Tommi Markkanen
Dr Tommi Markkanen, an expert on the False Vacuum has kindly answered these questions in an email interview: 1. Does a false vacuum decay due to quantum tunneling have a realistic chance happening in my lifetime or already be on its way? The answer is a r ...
Article - Robert Walker - Sep 25 2020 - 7:30am
- Marco Fulvio Barozzi: My Five Cents On Venusian Phosphine
Marco Fulvio Barozzi (b. ...
Article - Tommaso Dorigo - Oct 3 2020 - 5:42am
- Why Disk Galaxies Look Smooth
Like with kids, when it comes to galaxies adolescent blemishes disappear over time. Exponential disks, common in spiral galaxies, dwarf elliptical galaxies and some irregular galaxies, appear smooth and have an exponential fade. How did they get it way? It ...
Article - News Staff - Oct 5 2020 - 8:58am