As part of one inquiry case, we will be exploring the issues surrounding freshwater mussels in the Great Lakes region, including the native diversity and the impacts of invasions by zebra mussels and quagga mussels.
Last week I was in Michigan with my friend and colleague Dave Zanatta of Central Michigan University filming vignettes about mussel research. Here is just a sample (note: unedited and unannotated) of the footage we shot.
- Why Is Shrimplike Diporeia Disappearing From Lake Michigan?
- Evolution art exhibit at the University of Guelph- October 9 to 30
- Modern Mussel Shells Much Thinner Than 50 Years Ago
- Finding Nematostella: How Epithelial Cell Shape Changes Drive Tentacle Development
- UBC Researchers Reveal Dwarf Aquatic Plants' Hidden Ancestry