LONDON, November 11, 2010 /PRNewswire/ -- Forget Warhol's 15 minutes of fame in later life. Research launched today and commissioned by Flip Video , suggests that today's children are at their most 'famous' in their first year of life. According to the research, mums of children under the age of one are shooting and sharing more video than at any other time in their child's life.
Gareth Jones, head of European sales for Flip Video at Cisco, comments; It is great that new mums are capturing and sharing their childrens' first year so avidly but we'd like to see this continue through every stage of life. There are pivotal moments in every stage of life that we should be shooting and sharing. Mums make a great start in doing this when babies are born but we want to see Baby Broadcasters continue to chart all the fun everyday moments in their childrens' lives and keep as a wonderful memory for kids and their own family when they grow up.
The research surveyed 1,800 UK mums about what and how they capture and share family memories, identifying three clear 'fame' phases in a child's development:
- Baby Broadcasters - 44% of mums said they videoed their children most often from 0 to 12 months old - Toddler Trailers - 25% of all mums questioned are Toddler Trailers claiming to film the most footage when their children are between 13-24 months old - School Screeners - 12% of mums questioned fall into the School Screeners category Claiming they filmed the most footage of their children between the ages of 3-10 years
Mums of children under one are leading the way in capturing and sharing memories of their children in what's been termed Baby Broadcast Britain. This is probably due to the excitement of a young baby and the speed at which they develop. With 10% of Baby Broadcasters capturing between 30 and 60 minutes of footage per month, it could mean that 79,000 babies born in 2009 could now have the equivalent of six week's worth of Eastenders episodes to their name!
Charlotte Pearl, creative director of Pink Lining changing bags, comments; Mums are naturally exceptionally proud of their new arrivals. It used to be that to capture every moment of your baby's development you'd have to carry around a huge camcorder - it just wasn't practical. Baby Broadcast Britain has taken a real hold - with our customers reporting back that our changing bag pockets are the perfect size for popping in tiny video devices, such as their Flip Video cameras. They are packing them alongside their nappies, wipes and other baby essentials and then heading out for the day knowing that they've got all the bases covered.
This trend of baby broadcasting is also fuelled by mums in this category's increased use of social media and the Internet to communicate with family and friends. The research shows that while 52% of Baby Broadcasters share videos with family and friends via social networks and email, this figure declines through the other two phases, with only 48% of those creating toddler trailers (13-24 months) doing this. This further declines to a third (33%), of mums with children over the age of three.
Notes to Editor:
The survey of 1,800 UK mums (with children under 10 years old), was conducted by OnePoll in October 2010.
- Flip Video Website: http://www.theflip.com
SOURCE: Flip Video
CONTACT: For imagery of mums and baby please contact: Press Contacts:Paula Figgett, Kaizo, +44-20-3176-4710, firstname.lastname@example.org .