That whole "Facebook of..." thing is a pretty common description these days. It makes sense, Facebook is wildly popular (even we have a Facebook page) and 4 years ago we were called Facebook for Scientists, which didn't make a lot of sense at the time since writing science on the Internet existed before Facebook.
And if scientists were that social they would be on the actual Facebook more. They just aren't, as a bloc. Regardless, IBM thinks if they build it, scientists will come and their sweetener is it will help researchers get funding.
What? Researchers get private funding? That punctures the modern belief that only the government funds research. It will use IBM's content analysis algorithms to recommend potential collaborators (ummm, they are called competitors in science, just like anywhere else - content analysis would identify Tom Brady as a potential collaborator of Peyton Manning) and find recent news.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
Apply for a column: email@example.com
- Yes, You Can ‘Break’ Your Penis
- Disorder In The Court - A Supernaturally Dumb Lawsuit Over The Word 'Natural'
- The Natural History of High Blood Pressure
- American Air Is Clean and Getting Cleaner
- College Students' Sleep Article Proves Much More Popular Online
- 'ACSH is Fake News!' So Says Anti-Vax, Conspiracy-Loving Screwball
Donate or Buy SWAG
- Guest Post: Alessandro De Angelis, Multi-Messenger Astrophysics
- Statistics Gone Wild: Secondhand Smoke Causes Arthritis 30 Years Later, Says Questionnaire Result
- The Cooling Effect Of Historic Wildfires
- Peering Into The Void: Cosmic Web Reveals This Part Of The Early Universe Had Almost No Matter!
- Encounters With Giant Sharks In The Arctic
- The Silence On BPA Is Deafening – Let The CLARITY Data Speak!
- HBO No: John Oliver's Awkward Support For The Anti-Vaccine Community
- First-of-its-kind Parkinson's biomarker guidelines invigorates drive for treatments
- This matrix delivers healing stem cells to injured elderly muscles
- Evening preference, lack of sleep associated with higher BMI in people with prediabetes
- New clues into how 'trash bag of the cell' traps and seals off waste
- Mechanism that affects multiplication of dengue virus lineage is discovered