LONDON, February 29 /PRNewswire/ -- ReusaBags.com - a UK based wholesaler of 'bags for life' - welcomes Marks & Spencer's announcement yesterday that they will charge for plastic bags; however, says this is not enough. Plastic bags are not recyclable and environmentally friendly alternatives - such as non-woven polypropylene bags - need to be the only carrier bags offered to customers.
Adopting a payment for plastic bags approach does not diminish the fact the bags are still available. ReusaBags.com calls for an outright ban on plastic carrier bags in the UK, like in India, Kenya and Taiwan. Better alternatives are available and should be offered instead. 'Bags for life' are made from non-woven polypropylene (PP) fabric that is recyclable, decomposes naturally and incinerates completely without any production of poisonous pollutants.
Chris Amos, Company Director, ReusaBags.com said:
"While I welcome M&S's decision to charge for plastic bags - it is simply not enough. Many customers will still accept plastic bags while they are being offered. A better solution would be to only offer customers environmentally friendly non-woven polypropylene bags. One bag can be reused limitless times, saving on the use of hundreds of plastic bags."
Notes to Editors
- 'Bags for life' - like ReusaBags - are made from a very common, recyclable material named polypropylene (PP) which is a vinyl polymer. Recycled PP takes many familiar forms. Most UK bottle tops and margarine tubs are made from PP. Other common uses include surgical masks, plant pots and even the banknotes of some countries.
- PP is considered environmentally friendly because PP is essentially inert - it releases only water vapour and a small amount of CO2 when heated for remanufacture after shredding.
- Plastic bags don't biodegrade, they photodegrade - breaking down into smaller and smaller toxic bits contaminating soil and waterways and entering the food web when animals accidentally ingest.
- ReusaBags.com was set up in 2007 to offer businesses an easy to use service to obtain 'bags for life'.
- Non-woven PP carry many useful properties; making the bags... water resistant, air permeable, fire resistant, soft and non-allergenic to humans, strong, durable, long-lasting and washable.
- See http://www.reusabags.com for more information. For more information or artwork, or to request an interview, please contact: Chris Amos from ReusaBags on +44(0)207-405-6166 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information or artwork, or to request an interview, please contact: Chris Amos from ReusaBags on +44(0)207-405-6166 or email email@example.com