- Ship Coating That Has An Air Layer Under Water Increases Efficiency
If you've swum in the ocean you know it requires a lot of energy, and for ships it is no different. Adding to that are the problems of friction, corrosion, and biofilms, all of which cause marine traveler to drag. Science is on the case. New types of ...
Article - News Staff - Apr 11 2019 - 8:15am
- The Rheology Of Cats (are They Liquid Or Solid), The Deborah Number, And How It Won An Ig Nobel Prize
A liquid is traditionally defined as a material that adapts its shape to fit a container. Yet under certain conditions, cats seem to fit this definition. ...
Article - The Conversation - May 3 2019 - 1:39pm
- Fur Color Identified In 3 Million Year Old Mouse
Were dinosaurs green? You'd think so going by pop culture imagery but there is no way to know if they were green or grey or something else. ...
Article - News Staff - May 21 2019 - 10:09am
- How To Create Lightning Bolts Underwater
Plasma is like a lightning bolt, when it happens underwater. A new study explored how electrochemical cells that help recycle CO2 but whose catalytic surfaces get worn down in the process might be regenerated at the push of a button- using extreme plasmas ...
Article - News Staff - Jun 27 2019 - 10:25am
- Forget Propaganda About Nuclear Energy, The Real Radiation Risk For Humans Is Natural Cosmic Rays
Sometimes pop culture becomes fact for the public. When the climate disaster film "The Day After Tomorrow" came out, journalists bizarrely started referencing it as a real climate change scenario, and now that Netflix, the home of anti-science se ...
Article - Hank Campbell - Jul 9 2019 - 4:46pm
- Frying Cancer With Vibrating Gold Nanoparticles
An antibody is an agent of the immune system that attaches to an antigen. Usually antibodies recognize antigens on a virus or bacteria and attach to the invader to mark it for destruction by other immune cells. In a new study, University of Colorado Ansch ...
Article - News Staff - Jul 10 2019 - 5:00am
- Trees Do It, And Now A Thin Slice Of Wood Can Remove Some Water Contaminants
Most membranes that are used to distill fresh water from salty are made of polymers, which are derived from fossil fuels. There is a reason that fossil fuels have stuck around for so long. No longer do they have terrific energy density in the form of gaso ...
Article - News Staff - Aug 2 2019 - 5:37pm