I confess, I haven't played World of Warcraft, though I did enjoy Warcraft and Warcraft II. Persistent online games can be tough to find time for when you have a career but Blizzard has the best business model ever - they charge you for the game and they charge you to play it and for that they have my respect. Yayyy capitalism.
Others don't seem to mind having to buy a game you can't play without a monthly fee , since Blizzard is claiming its World of Warcraft: Cataclysm expansion sold-through more than 3.3 million copies in its first 24 hours of release.
That would make anyone site up and take notice. Their statement claims that is the best-selling PC game of all time and I see no reason to dispute it. Who held the previous record of 2.8 million copies sold in 24 hours? Blizzard says they have that also, from November 2008 with the World of Warcraft expansion, Wrath of the Lich King®.
World of Warcraft: Cataclysm sales record of 3.3 million in a day is...WOW
- Game Industry Luminary Bill Roper To Keynote Third Annual Game Developers Conference China
- An Anthropological Account of World of Warcraft
- Virtual Worlds, Real Stereotypes
- PopCap Launches All-New, Free, World Of Warcraft-Themed Peggle(TM) Levels
- Scientists get pwned, conference ends in total carnage.