This Jurassic ammonite is from an all but inaccessible site in Sayward, Bonanza Group, Vancouver Island. By the time these ammonites were being buried in sediment, Wrangellia, the predominately volcanic terrane that now forms Vancouver Island and the Queen Charlotte Islands, had made its way to the northern mid-latitudes. Within the basal part of the sequence, sedimentary beds are found interbedded with lapilli and crystal-tuffs. They include maroon tuffaceous sandstone, orange-grey sandstone, granule sandstone and conglomerate. Ammonites are found alongside gastropods and pelecypods. The Bonanza group is estimated to be at least 1000 metres thick. This detail of the Jurassic ammonite, Paltechioceras sp. shot with an ultra-low f-stop, is from an all but inaccessible site in Sayward, Bonanza Group, Vancouver Island.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Know Science And Want To Write?
Donate or Buy SWAG
Please donate so science experts can write
for the public.
If you're worried about activists using
media to promote fear and doubt about
science and medicine, you're in the right place.
At Science 2.0, scientists are the journalists.
with no political bias or editorial control. But
we can't do it alone so please make a difference.
We are a nonprofit science journalism
group operating under Section 501(c)(3)
of the Internal Revenue Code that's
educated over 300 million people.
You can help with a tax-deductible
donation today and 100 percent of your
gift will go toward our programs,
no salaries or offices.
If you value independent science
communication, collaboration &
participation, please contribute.
- Happy Equinox - Let's Celebrate Ancient Female Warriors
- No We Do Not Risk Birds Vanishing From The US Skies - And Have We Really Lost 3 Billion Birds Since 1970?
- Does Bernie Sanders $16 Trillion Green New Deal Pay For Itself?
- The Alarming Decline In Avian Wildlife
- Forensic Evidence In Paul Frampton's Drug Smuggling Case
- Do Not Adjust Your Set ) - Why We Should Keep With Equilibrium Climate Sensitivity Of 3°C For Now
- Attention Athletes: Get Ready For Performance-Enhancing Bacteria Probiotic Microbiome Omics Hype
- US pediatric heart transplant waitlist policy change falls short of intended benefits
- Do the costs of cancer drugs receive enough attention?
- New national guideline sets out best practices for delivering injectable opioid agonist treatment
- Fat mass index, not BMI, associated with cardiovascular events in people with diabetes
- Opioid use disorder in pregnancy: 5 things to know