So, say you're at a party and you meet a famous astronomer. It doesn't matter which one, we're all famous (or at least published). Here are 6 things not to say.
- I'm an Aquarius, can you tell me my future?
- I'm angry because Pluto isn't a planet anymore!
- What will happen in 2012 when the Earth, sun and the center of our galaxy line up?
- How old am I in light years?
- I bought a star from the star registry, did you learn its name yet?
- Why do planetary nebula have absolutely nothing to do with planets?
Alex, the daytime astronomer
p.s. The answer for #3 is: winter solstice, same as every year this line-up
happens. Twenty bonus points to readers for suggesting good,
non-offending answers for the rest of them.
| An S. Harris astronomy cartoon, from www.sciencecartoonsplus.com|